Choose style:

Author Topic: Define "Neo-Con"  (Read 4582 times)

Jacafamala

• My mother, my confidence.
  • Gold Fish
  • Discorso della luna.
    • Rosa Mystica Mantilla
Re: Define "Neo-Con"
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 10:33:am »
A "Neo-Con" is a derogatory term for a Conservative Catholic.

rosamysticamantilla.com

Above all things, preserve constant charity among yourselves; charity draws the veil over a multitude of sins. -1 Peter

PaxVobiscum

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 10:39:am »
By the way, are you guys familiar with Neo-Traditionalism? It's the new word coined by our friend StevusMagnus specifically to bash Fish Eaters along with anybody else who objects to making his revalorization of 1950s culture, and the opinions of Bishop Williamson on women's fashion, binding on all Traditionalists. We're "a Trojan Horse in the Traditional movement," "a 5th column looking to destroy it [traditionalism] from within." No joke.

http://church-in-crisis.com/?p=33

Poor Stevus.  Too young to remember the Fifties he loves so much.

Master_P

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:am »
Neo-trad's alright but my favorite made-up label is "Motarian" courtesy of Traditio.

Motarian (n.) : One who attends a "simulated Motu mess",  :pazzo:
Merci, Monseigneur

Tim

• Tim
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 11:31:am »
You're right Pax, but he isn't all wrong either. The fifties were not the "Golden Age of Catholicism" but objectively speaking they were better than the NO or the Trads are now. Being gone for over thirty years I can tell you something is missing in each camp, both are way too over intellectualized. Forgive me Bishop Williamson, but you're English, anyway.  If one must be an Aristotlian and a Church Historian while being conversant with everything written since say Trent, then this is not a religion of Jesus, but the University. I see everywhere the refutation of the Holy Ghost and faith and infused knowledge. The attitude is philology first and listening maybe later. The NO to the exclusion of what came before and the Trads to the exclusion of everything since. Pax Vobiscum indeed!
tim  

veritatem_dilexisti

• Cheese-Eating Surrender Trad
  • Sip sip
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 11:41:am »
I sympathise with Stevus; the new Dell ad makes me nostalgic for the Fifties. "Lollipop, lollipop …" :musicnote:

Tim

• Tim
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 12:07:pm »
Me Shredded Wheats ala "we put the no in in-no-vation".

epalinurus

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 12:25:pm »
A neo-Con is an economic conservative ( low taxes)  who is also very much into globalization, and an expansionist military policy.  They tend to favor big government and like things like Japan's MITI.  You would expect to find them hanging out at the CFR.  Tend to be Jewish.  The opposite of  a Neo Con is someone like Pat Buchanan or possibly Ron Paul.  You can spot them pretty quickly as they love to use the word "geo-politics".

I'd add to this that the neo-cons were not necessarily conservative on social issues like abortion, marriage, gun control, and social spending.  On that basis alone, the term "neo-con" applied to most FEs is inaccurate.

QuisUtDeus

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 03:16:pm »
By the way, are you guys familiar with Neo-Traditionalism? It's the new word coined by our friend StevusMagnus specifically to bash Fish Eaters along with anybody else who objects to making his revalorization of 1950s culture, and the opinions of Bishop Williamson on women's fashion, binding on all Traditionalists. We're "a Trojan Horse in the Traditional movement," "a 5th column looking to destroy it [traditionalism] from within." No joke.

http://church-in-crisis.com/?p=33

Hey, thanks, Stevus was great and is missed.  He is misunderstood by several here...I do not see an attack on FE...some posters may feel a cringe at their neck from a spitball but that's 'cause they do the things he lists.

He has specifically mentioned FE (and Fr. Z as well) in relation to that in places other than his blog.

Funny, a lot of his detractors are what I call pseudo trads because they are willing to NO from time to time or even regularly (there are 2 exception on this board...you know who you are)...Stevus NOs also, so they should see a friend, not an enemy.  I guess to pseudos having the veil off is more important.

So is Steve a pseudo-trad in your book?

Edit (For clarity)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:22:pm by QuisUtDeus »

QuisUtDeus

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 03:18:pm »
A neo-Con is an economic conservative ( low taxes)  who is also very much into globalization, and an expansionist military policy.  They tend to favor big government and like things like Japan's MITI.  You would expect to find them hanging out at the CFR.  Tend to be Jewish.  The opposite of  a Neo Con is someone like Pat Buchanan or possibly Ron Paul.  You can spot them pretty quickly as they love to use the word "geo-politics".

Well, the opposite of a Neo-Con is really a modern-day Liberal like Al Gore.  But, I think when you talk about Buchanan and others of his ilk the appropriate term is Paleo-Con.  At least that's how I label myself.

Scipio_a

• No, you're not a trad...you're a BITTER zealot.
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 04:07:pm »
So is Steve a pseudo-trad in your book?
Edit (For clarity)

Could be...I know he had (has?) an irregular situation with family not wanting to go trad so that's a tough one...which is nice cause it shows not everyone falls neatly into a category.

I suppose he might fall neatly into the "'50s lovin' trad" but I hardly care to make that many nice neat boxes to stuff people in.  I'll just stick with the ones I've got until such a time as I deem it timely to whip out a new one

When one really thinks about it I know that must be a tough situation.  We have others here going through it too.  The question in my mind would be whether to keep peace in the family it would be prudent to go NO (my answer is a decided "no way" others choose to go.)  I'd rather sit at home and crank out a few prayers in private or with the family at that point...or maybe if timing were available wake up before everyone and go...as you can see it is a sucky situation with no pretty way out...

Fr. Z. LOL
"Scipio Bull Biscuits, a flawlessly indoctrinated feminist male." - paraphrased from voxpop in one of his shining moments!!

"You've become a full adept to your kabbalistic philosemetism ...why not get it over with and fully convert to Judaism. At lest that would be respectable." - Popscile

"[Scipio's] high on mouth and low on brains"  - a brainiac

"...all I can guess is that maybe you're gay and haven't figured it out yet."   ???....LOL

"a malicious twerp" - A candylander

"I ain't no freakin' monument to justice!" -Moonstruck

"Check out the big brain on Brad" - Jules