Choose style:

Author Topic: Catholic School Boots Student For Gay Parents  (Read 12505 times)

fcgv

Catholic School Boots Student For Gay Parents

A preschool student at a Catholic school in Boulder, Colo., will not be allowed to return next year because the child's parents are lesbians living together, which the Denver archdiocese calls a violation of the school's beliefs and policy.

According to 9 News, which spoke with teachers at Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School, "A meeting was held Tuesday to discuss the issue. The staff was told a student would not be allowed to re-enroll because of his or her parents' sexual orientation. The staff members were also told not to talk to the media."

The archdiocese provided a statement to 9 News that said, "Homosexual couples living together as a couple are in disaccord with Catholic teaching."

"No person shall be admitted as a student in any Catholic school unless that person and his/her parent(s) subscribe to the school's philosophy and agree to abide by the educational policies and regulations of the school and Archdiocese," the statement said.

"Parents living in open discord with Catholic teaching in areas of faith and morals unfortunately choose by their actions to disqualify their children from enrollment," said the archdiocese.

Legal experts told 9 News that the action by the archdiocese is lawful. Some school staff members told the station they were disgusted by the move.

__._,_.___

__,_._,___

glgas

Re: Catholic School Boots Student For Gay Parents
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:27:pm »
A decade or so ago a local Boy's Scout group did not accepted the membership of the son of a confessed atheists. Naturaly he started a lawsuit, but lost. Organizations, rofessing a particular faith,  have the right to limit their membership from those who explicitly oppose that faith.

This right was declared by the Church in the Dignitatis Humanae against abusers.

In addition, it comes within the meaning of religious freedom that religious communities should not be prohibited from freely undertaking to show the special value of their doctrine in what concerns the organization of society and the inspiration of the whole of human activity. Finally, the social nature of man and the very nature of religion afford the foundation of the right of men freely to hold meetings and to establish educational, cultural, charitable and social organizations, under the impulse of their own religious sense.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651207_dignitatis-humanae_en.html

fcgv

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:05:pm »
A decade or so ago a local Boy's Scout group did not accepted the membership of the son of a confessed atheists. Naturaly he started a lawsuit, but lost. Organizations, rofessing a particular faith,  have the right to limit their membership from those who explicitly oppose that faith.

Indeed, so you think it is fine to blame an innocent child for the behaviour of his parents? I think the school was in error. And with the story you shared, I believe the Scouts were also in error. A perfect chance to introduce the Church to a young man is NOT to drive him away from it for immoral activities of others. It is hardly the boys fault his parents are two homosexual men anymore then it is my fault what my mother and father may have done, or believe in the course of their lives. Each man should be judged individually, for that is how God does it.

Stubborn

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:15:pm »
The school did what was right.
A few hundred years ago, the church would have taken that kid (assuming he/she was baptized) from them parents. These days all it can do is remove the threat from their own building for the good of the rest of the school population.

Either way, poor kid.
It is the Mass that matters.

But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, not hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth. -Apocalypse  3:16

MeaMaximaCulpa

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:47:pm »
A few hundred years ago, the church would have taken that kid (assuming he/she was baptized) from them parents. These days all it can do is remove the threat from their own building for the good of the rest of the school population.

Either way, poor kid.

Last time I checked, the Church defends the rights of parents to educate their children in the way the wish (even if those parents are not Catholic and hold erroneous beliefs).  I suppose when you're referring to "a hundred years ago", you're speaking of the Edgardo Mortara affair.  I think that was an isolated incident, and not a good example of how the Church acts towards non-Catholic parents.  I think its interesting that Pius XII didn't require all those Jewish children who were baptized during the Holocaust to be raised as Christians if their parents returned from the camps.

glgas

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 02:13:pm »

Either way, poor kid.

Lesbians unlikely are parents. At least one of them has no blood (and in Colorado neither legal) right to be called parent.

Otherwise here is the statement  of the archdiocese

http://www.archden.org/index.cfm/ID/3513

RalphKramden

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 02:35:pm »
I'm always glad to hear about Catholic schools that are actually acting Catholic! There is hope.

Edward

• Skeeter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 03:24:pm »
But where does it stop??? I'm sure there are many kids at that school who are living in divorced/remarried homes. Do they get kicked out also??

AlanF

• 34 Fishies.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 03:53:pm »

Indeed, so you think it is fine to blame an innocent child for the behaviour of his parents? I think the school was in error. And with the story you shared, I believe the Scouts were also in error. A perfect chance to introduce the Church to a young man is NOT to drive him away from it for immoral activities of others. It is hardly the boys fault his parents are two homosexual men anymore then it is my fault what my mother and father may have done, or believe in the course of their lives. Each man should be judged individually, for that is how God does it.

I think the school was right. The whole point of a Catholic school is for Catholic parents trying to raise a Catholic family to send their children to in order to have a good formation in the Catholic Faith and have a proper Catholic upbringing. It's quite pointless to take in the child of anticatholic God-haters whom we know will not be giving the child a Catholic upbringing and will only undermine the formation the school will be giving him. It's much better to give that place to the child of Catholic parents.

If only more Catholic schools were willing to stand up for the Faith, even the unfashionable bits, like this one does.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:55:pm by AlanF »
All the mumblings of Popery.

glgas

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 04:37:pm »
Indeed, so you think it is fine to blame an innocent child for the behaviour of his parents?

No. I believe in the hierarchy of the values: the interest of a whole Catholic school, and through that the Church precedes the interest of one child.

The next step would be to force the school to stop teaching that homosexuality is aberration.

I recommend you to study the Murray vs Curtlet decision

http://www.dunamai.com/articles/atheist/supremec.htm

which would be useful for those too, who believe that Vatican II is the reason of the disaster

Here is a less legalistic account of the cases

http://www.free2pray.info/court-cases.html