Choose style:

Author Topic: St. Amata of Assisi  (Read 5243 times)

MedicMeyers

St. Amata of Assisi
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:39:pm »
I am having trouble locating much more than a quick blurb about her. Does anyone know of any books or other sources that might have a little information on her? I ask mainly because my goddaughter is named Amy and I would like to one day teach her a little about her namesake.

Magdalene

• Blue Fish
Re: St. Amata of Assisi
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:11:pm »
I have a good friend, Amy, so I have also tried to find information and there just does not seem to be much.

Here is what I have:
Feastday: February 20

+1250

Poor Clare and niece of St. Clare of Assisi. Amata was miraculously cured of an illness by St. Clare. She entered a Poor Clare monastery as a result.

Amata of Assisi,     Poor Clare V (PC)
Died c. 1250; feast day formerly June 9. Amata was sister to Blessed Diana and Cecilia in the community of Saint Agnes at Bologna, a niece of Saint Clare, and a good friend of Saint Dominic. Saint Clare healed Amata of a disease and thereby converted her heart to the life of the cloister. According to legend, Dominic give her the moniker "Amata," meaning 'beloved,' and very probably sent her to the convent. This is all that is known of her. Amata is in the Franciscan martyrologies
Ave Maria!

MedicMeyers

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:24:pm »
Haha, that's all I could find too. If I have any luck I'll make sure to pass it along.

I would've thought that with a common name such as Amy there would at least be some medals or prayer cards or something out there.

karyn_anne

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:01:am »
i have the newsletters of the Contemplative Dominicans in France, and they took in 3 novices from the Philippines a few years ago. They were given the names of Diana, Cecillia and Amata. I am pleasantly surprised to know that Amata was also associated with the Poor Clares.

With my limited French (the newsletter is in French of course), i can tell you that Sister Aimee or Amata was delivered from 7 devils by St Dominic who had compassion on her. Seeing the goodness of St Dominic, she followed his footsteps and returned to him infinite actions of grace. She requested to enter his monastery of contemplative Dominicans. He gave her the name "Amata", signifying the affection he had for her.

All 3 sisters were placed in the same sepulcher. On the translation of their bodies, some fragments of their bones gave out a grand light that illuminated the night.

MedicMeyers

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:24:am »
I believe that this is actually a second Amata. I ran across Blessed Amata who was in fact a Dominican during my search. If you have an electronic copy of that newsletter though I would love to read it (through a translator of course  ;)) as I would love to have information about both Saint and Blessed Amata.

You have brought up an interesting point as well. Do you think it would be worth contacting the local Poor Clares? I'm not sure if they would have any additional information or not.

karyn_anne

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:43:pm »
its not an electronic version, and i have typed out all there is to St Amata (the rest of the precious newsletter is about how the religious life reflects the Church as a Holy, One, Catholic and Apostolic institution, and also on the 3 new novices from the Philippines). You should try the local Poor Clare convent. =)