Choose style:

Author Topic: More Vatican Leaks, Bertone vs. Burke over Neo Cats  (Read 1336 times)

Cetil

• Old Lodge Skins
From the National Catholic Fishwrap:
"Both a brand new Vatican leak, and one contained in the avalanche of secret documents already published by an Italian journalist, depict deep ambivalence among the pope’s most senior aides about the controversial lay movement the Neocatechumenal Way.

The documents illustrate doubts about both the worship style of the Neocatechumenate, and its missionary activities...
Over the weekend, the Italian newspaper La Repubblica published three new leaked Vatican documents, including a January 14, 2012, letter from American Cardinal Raymond Burke, president of the Vatican’s highest court, to Italian Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Secretary of State. In it, Burke told Bertone that he had received an invitation to a January 20 celebration of Vatican approval for the Neocatechumenate’s approach to worship.

Burke is widely regarded as among the more conservative prelates in the Vatican, with strong ties to liturgical traditionalists. According to the report, Burke’s letter was sent on Jan. 16 and quickly forwarded to the pope.

According to the text of the leaked document, Burke wrote:

“As a cardinal and a member of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, I cannot avoid expressing to Your Eminence the surprise this invitation caused me. I do not recall having heard a consultation regarding a particular liturgy for this ecclesial movement. In recent days, I’ve received expressions of concern regarding papal approval, which they already knew about, from various persons, including a respected bishop in the United States. I regarded them as rumor and speculation, but now I’ve discovered they were right. As a faithful student of the teaching of the Holy Father with regard to liturgical reform, which is fundamental for the New Evangelization, I believe the approval of such liturgical innovations, even after the corrections on the part of the Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, does not seem coherent with the liturgical magisterium of the pope.”
The document carried a handwritten note from Pope Benedict XVI, dated Jan. 20, which read: “Return to Card. Bertone, inviting Card. Burke to perhaps translate these very correct observations in the Congregation for Divine Worship.”

Events on the same day offered confirmation of Benedict’s sympathy for Burke’s concerns...

http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/leaks-confirm-ambivalence-about-neocatechumenal-way

C.
"Arise, then unconquerable Prince, defend the people of God against the assaults of the reprobate spirits, and give them the victory."

Cardinal Muller: "Doctrine and pastoral care are the same thing. Jesus Christ as pastor and Jesus Christ as teacher with his word are not two different people,"

"It's like a train wreck, I keep coming back to look"

salus

Cardinal Burke see's this group for what it is, another Vatican 2 fabrication.

TraditionalistThomas

• Banned for being an ass
God bless him.
My hope is in Christ, who strengthens the weakest by His Divine help. I can do all in Him who strengthens me. His Power is infinite, and if I lean on him, it will be mine. His Wisdom is infinite, and if I look to Him for counsel, I shall not be deceived. His Goodness is infinite, and if my trust is stayed in Him, I shall not be abandoned.

-- Pope Saint Pius X

For those born after Pius XII, a strong, good Pope is a history lesson and a hope for the future, not a reality we've ever lived. - Gerard

MRose

Cardinal Burke see's this group for what it is, another Vatican 2 fabrication.

Anyone know if he allowed them in his dioceses when he was a local Ordinary in the U.S.?
Magníficat ✝ ánima mea Dóminum.
Et exsultávit spíritus meus: in Deo, salutári meo.
Quia respéxit humilitátem ancíllæ suæ: ecce enim ex hoc beátam me dicent omnes generatiónes.
Quia fecit mihi magna, qui potens est: et sanctum nomen ejus.
Et misericórdia ejus, a progénie in progénies: timéntibus eum.
Fecit poténtiam in bráchio suo: dispérsit supérbos mente cordis sui.
Depósuit poténtes de sede: et exaltávit húmiles.
Esuriéntes implévit bonis: et dívites dimísit inánes.
Suscépit Israël púerum suum: recordátus misericórdiæ suæ.
Sicut locútus est ad patres nostros: Ábraham, et sémini ejus in sæcula.
V. Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto.
R. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.

salus

I doubt it