Choose style:

Author Topic: Solidarity Healthshare -- Catholic "Insurance" ?  (Read 2346 times)

arashijing

Not sure if this has been posted already (FE won't let me "search").

Solidarity Healthshare http://solidarityhealthshare.com/

"If you are looking for an alternative to the high cost insurance plans available today or want to choose to opt out of government mandated insurance plans that force members to pay for services that are ethically and morally objectionable, then Solidarity HealthShare is a great option for you.

Solidarity HealthShare is a medical-cost sharing collective that acts as a neutral non-profit escrow agent that administers voluntary sharing of healthcare needs for qualifying members.  Membership does not subsidize self-destructive behaviors and lifestyles and follows the current ethical and religious directives for Catholic healthcare services given by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Solidarity HealthShare is not a health insurance company but a body of members who seek to support one another’s medical burdens through a proven health care sharing model. Through this model, we also pray for and encourage one another and support fellow members with various programs."

James02

Re: Solidarity Healthshare -- Catholic "Insurance" ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:pm »
I wonder how long they'll last before big gov shuts them down.  A doctor in NJ or NY set something up a little similar.  NY shut him down because he wasn't charging enough.  It was in the news.
"God's Wrath is Glorious, and I have a front row seat"

"We can not guarantee success.  We can only deserve it."

"And who do you say that I Am?"
"That one simple question, whether Jesus of Nazareth was God Incarnate, becomes increasingly decisive between people, as history moves forward. .... The answer to this question cuts into human ties and seems to reflect even on the nature of inanimate things.  What if:  all that is folly in the eyes of the Greeks, and scandal in the eyes of the Jews, ... is Truth?"

And there was no doubt about it -- towards Him we had been running, or from Him we had been running away, but all the time He had been in the center of things.

arashijing

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:11:pm »
I know of a similar system called "Medi-share," and they've been doing it for 19 years. I'm praying that this launches, and be successful.

MRose

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:28:pm »
I have heard of non-denomenational or anabaptist protestants doing this before. I think there have been some quite-successful enterprises.

One issues, though, is that the USSCB's directives concerning organ donation and the scam of "brain death" are seriously lacking.
Magníficat ✝ ánima mea Dóminum.
Et exsultávit spíritus meus: in Deo, salutári meo.
Quia respéxit humilitátem ancíllæ suæ: ecce enim ex hoc beátam me dicent omnes generatiónes.
Quia fecit mihi magna, qui potens est: et sanctum nomen ejus.
Et misericórdia ejus, a progénie in progénies: timéntibus eum.
Fecit poténtiam in bráchio suo: dispérsit supérbos mente cordis sui.
Depósuit poténtes de sede: et exaltávit húmiles.
Esuriéntes implévit bonis: et dívites dimísit inánes.
Suscépit Israël púerum suum: recordátus misericórdiæ suæ.
Sicut locútus est ad patres nostros: Ábraham, et sémini ejus in sæcula.
V. Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto.
R. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.

jonbhorton

• Can no longer participate here, ever.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:55:pm »
No dental? Screw that. Bones and sniffles heal... a cracked tooth or something is shoot-me-now territory.

"It makes the consuls base: and my soul aches
To know, when two authorities are up,
Neither supreme, how soon confusion
May enter 'twixt the gap of both and take
The one by the other." - Coriolanus, Act 3, Scene 1
The Immaculata must be the Queen of all people. Whoever does not submit to her rule will perish.
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
"There is no greater enemy of the Immaculata and her Knighthood than today’s Ecumenism which every Knight must not only fight against, but also neutralize through diametrically opposed action and ultimately destroy"
(Saint Maximilian Maria Kolbe) ~ Entry of Diary dated April 23, 1933. Cited from The Immaculata Our Ideal, Father Karl Stehlin [Warsaw: Te Deum, 2005], p.37.

Phillipus Iacobus

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:14:am »
No dental? Screw that. Bones and sniffles heal... a cracked tooth or something is shoot-me-now territory.

Or an impacted wisdom tooth.

moneil

• Red Fish
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:16:pm »
This is a great concept.  There may be some technical issues as to why they say it’s not “insurance”, but it’s the very concept of what insurance is, a shared risk pool where members each pay in a set amount, and those with claims are reimbursed from that pool.

I am not an insurance professional but I’ve been involved with shopping for and managing commercial insurance policies, as well as serving as the employee benefits manager in a previous job.  For two and a half years 2000 - 2003 I sat on the insurance committee for the Diocese of Spokane, WA.

Many do not know that the U.S. Catholic Bishops own and operate their own property insurance company called Catholic Mutual (founded in 1889), headquartered in Omaha, NE.  The bishops had (back when I was on the diocesan committee) asked the insurance professionals employed by Catholic Mutual to explore adding health coverage to the portfolio of products.  One thing to remember is that until the federal Affordable Care Act, ALL insurance issues and regulations were exclusively handled by each individual state.  The report back from Catholic Mutual was that while property / casualty insurance regulations were fairly uniform across the states, and it was possible, with a small amount of tweaking, to offer a product in all states, health insurance was another issue altogether.  I’ve wondered if some of the provisions of the ACA providing more uniformity in health plans, and the regional exchanges, might not make offering a nation wide Catholic Plan more feasible.

Back to the “healthshare”:  Yes, I can understand the difference between a non-profit group that “administers” a voluntary escrow account and traditional health insurance, but in the broad sense, applying the “duck test”, it’s close to the same concept.

I wonder how long they'll last before big gov shuts them down.  A doctor in NJ or NY set something up a little similar.  NY shut him down because he wasn't charging enough.  It was in the news.

One assumes that these people have done their homework (and this is probable why they don’t call it “insurance”, to get around some regs).  As for James02’s example, while no details are provided, one can speculate as to some.  Typically a state’s insurance commission or the consumer protection division of a state’s attorney general’s office work to ensure that insurance or other kinds of plans are adequately capitalized: i.e. if one has been paying in their share over the years will there be adequate funds to cover them when they have a claim.  That may have been the case here.

In reply to johnbhorton’s comments, I don’t know if there are differences in other states but in WA medical and dental coverage has always been totally separate.  While I have dental coverage at the moment (the plan pays totally for two annual exams and teeth cleaning, about 80% for a standard filling, and about 50% for everything else ~I had a four tooth bridge put in last winter and my out of pocket was $1,900.  I have not had dental insurance coverage for most of life (I’ve always carried medical insurance, for many years at my own expense though I have employer provided coverage now).  My experience has been that if you have a good Catholic dentist who is a fellow parishioner, they may moderate the cost according to your income, and will let you make payments.   Tim once shared a similar experience regarding a medical doctor, but I’m thinking it is a more common arrangement with dentists.

I like the general concept but it will be interesting to see how they handle some of the “details”.  Like, what if a family signs up and a member has a history of cancer, or they have a Downs Syndrome or spina bifida child.  Will they be able to adequately capitalize to cover these costs while keeping contributions affordable, or will they have to start “rationing” care?