Choose style:

Author Topic: Comet ISON Approacheth...is it ....alone?  (Read 5009 times)

Zedta

• Red Fish
  • Wha'd ya expect, from a cigar smokin' gorilla?
Comet ISON Approacheth...is it ....alone?
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:17:pm »
Here is a very interesting article on Spaceweather.com I found.

It is a video taken by an amateur astronomer of comet ISON and if you look closely, it appears to not be alone. If you read the discussion below the posting, there are others taking up this issue. There appear to be at least four other objects in a relative parallel trajectory with the comet and some getting nearly twice as bright and variable. If they are satellites, why the same track and speed? Hot pixels were 'ruled out'.

http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=75686
One should have an open mind...open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out.

In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair, the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die.

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy.
Aldous Huxley

DrBombay

Re: Comet ISON Approacheth...is it ....alone?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 08:51:pm »
Just what are you implying here, I wonder?  ???

Zedta

• Red Fish
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:05:pm »

I imply nothing. I only report. I find it curious and interesting, in fact FASCINATING. What do you think?

Edit to add: Actually...this object ISON is said to be coming from the Ort Cloud and if so, we've never seen it before. Is it possible that there are other comets traveling with it, sure. There is no reason to rule out others in a situation where there are few knowns and lots of questions. I find it fascinating and with all the 'ho-hum' comets of late, this one sure seems to have a lot of controversy attached already.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:09:pm by Zedta »
One should have an open mind...open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out.

In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair, the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die.

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy.
Aldous Huxley

DrBombay

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:20:pm »

I imply nothing. I only report. I find it curious and interesting, in fact FASCINATING. What do you think?

Edit to add: Actually...this object ISON is said to be coming from the Ort Cloud and if so, we've never seen it before. Is it possible that there are other comets traveling with it, sure. There is no reason to rule out others in a situation where there are few knowns and lots of questions. I find it fascinating and with all the 'ho-hum' comets of late, this one sure seems to have a lot of controversy attached already.

I think it's lens flare.  The thing is too far away to tell anything for sure.  Just as long as we're agreed it's not a Martian spaceship.  Those Heaven's Gate people thought a spaceship was following a comet and that's why they checked out.  We don't need that again.

Zedta

• Red Fish
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:34:pm »
You did, then, watch the video Dr.B?

Hard to imagine a lense flar. This was not one continuous video. I think the article said it was from multiple shots, so why consistently there?

Again...fascinating!  :grin:

Aldous Huxley

DrBombay

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:45:pm »
You did, then, watch the video Dr.B?

Hard to imagine a lense flar. This was not one continuous video. I think the article said it was from multiple shots, so why consistently there?

Again...fascinating!  :grin:

Si, I watched the video.  Maybe the comet has moons, like a planet?  I don't know. I think the image is too poor quality to really tell anything.

Starry Plough

• Gold Fish
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 07:43:am »
Don't pieces routinely break off of comets? Could that be what they are? That would give them the same trajectory.

Zedta

• Red Fish
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 12:26:pm »
Don't pieces routinely break off of comets? Could that be what they are? That would give them the same trajectory.

Yes indeed, but usually this happens on close approach to the sun or a large planet, like Shoemaker-Levi which hit Jupiter with a 'string of pearls' after breaking up as it came too close to that giant.

Aldous Huxley

Zedta

• Red Fish
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:pm »
This story is startin' to get legs. I know, I have my reservations about 'McCorney', but here is another article and a video:

:comp:

[   . [/   .

This is from www.jmccanneyscience.com, sorry about the all caps, but that was how it was on his website.

***********************************************************************************

January 20, 2013 posting ... !!!!!!! ... THIS JUST IN ... IT IS TOO EARLY TO CONFIRM BUT SOME INITIAL DATA SUGGESTS THAT COMET C/2012/S1 HAS AT LEAST ONE COMPANION AND POSSIBLY UP TO SEVEN ... WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS ONE HAS TO BE VERY CAUTIOUS BUT AFTER EXAMINING THE DATA THAT I HAVE SEEN I WOULD SAY THAT IT APPEARS TO BE REAL ...

FURTHERMORE ONE OF THE POSSIBLE COMPANIONS APPEARS TO BE AT ABOUT TWO LUNAR DISTANCES (HALF A MILLION MILES) AND HAS NOT FORMED A COMA FOR SOME ODD REASON ...

IF THE OBJECT IS ORBITING THE NUCLEUS OF THE COMET AT THAT DISTANCE IT IMPLIES THAT THE NUCLEUS OF THIS COMET IS POSSIBLY AS BIG OR BIGGER THAN EARTH ... ALSO WITH COMPANIONS WE WILL BE ABLE TO DIRECTLY CALCULATE THE MASS AND THEREFORE THE SIZE OF THE COMET NUCLEUS ... USING STANDARD ASTRONOMICAL METHODS ...

NASA TIER II SCIENTISTS HAVE ALREADY PUT THEIR FOOT IN THEIR MOUTHS WITH AN ESTIMATE BASED ON SOME GEEEE WHIZ BAD SCIENCE ... AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE ONE OF THE BIGGEST OPEN LIES AT NASA IS CONCERNING THE SIZE OF COMET NUCLEI ALWAYS MINIMIZING THEM TO ALMOST NOTHING AND TRYING TO PROMOTE THEIR INCORRECT DIRTY SNOWBALL COMET MODEL ... WE KNOW THEY CAN DIRECTLY MEASURE COMET NUCLEI WITH RADIO TELESCOPES SO WHY ALL THE BAD SCIENCE AND OPINIATED ESTIMATES ??? NORMALLY NO ONE WOULD BE ABLE TO CONTRADICT THEM BECAUSE THEY HOLD THE REIGNS OF THE RADIO TELESCOPES AND WHO IS TO CONTRADICT THEM ??? BUT WITH COMPANIONS WE USE A SIMPLE ASTRONOMICAL FORMULA AND WALA WE HAVE THE MASS OF THE NUCLEUS AND THERE IS NOTHING NASA CAN DO ABOUT THAT ...

WITH THE RECENT INTERACTION OF THIS COMET WITH EARTH WHILE THE COMET WAS AT THE RANGE OF JUPITER'S ORBIT THIS WOULD BE THE SECOND INDICATION THAT THIS IS A WHOPPER OF A COMET ...

NASA HAS BEEN EXTREMELY ACTIVE IN DAMAGE CONTROL ON THIS COMET AND JUST TODAY ISSUED A VIDEO CLEARLY DOING DAMAGE CONTROL ... WHY ALL THE ANNOUNCEMENTS WHEN THE COMET (ACCORDING TO NASA) WILL NOT EVEN BE VISIBLE UNTIL NEXT NOVEMBER ?!?!?! STAY TUNED FOLKS THIS IS GETTING REEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL INTERESTING ... jim mccanney

Aldous Huxley

DrBombay

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 07:12:pm »
Is this thing on a collision course with planet earth or something?  I'm a real dolt science-wise so I'm not quite getting all the significance of the hand wringing and "verrrrry interestink" talk.  Plain talk is needed. ??? ??? ???