Choose style:

Author Topic: Papabile for optimistic traditionalists  (Read 2363 times)

mcwhite

Papabile for optimistic traditionalists
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:35:am »
We can look forward to the secular media informing us that the next successor of St Peter is a ‘step backwards for the Church’. Let’s hope so.

This list is for those praying that the that the Conclave’s chosen one represents ‘fifty steps back for the Church’.

1.   His Eminence Albert Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith Patabandige Don

A man with five names who speaks ten languages and the current Ordinary of the Archdiocese of Colombo (Sri Lanka). Has celebrated several high profile traditional Masses and is often pictured on traditionalist blogs in extremely nice vestments and with impressively tall miters. From the Asian continent, which will delight the progressive media, until such time as they background him and find out he is a Roman Catholic. In a typical example of his perspicacity he said those opposed to Benedict XVI’s Summorum Pontificum were allowing themselves to be ‘used as instruments of the devil’.

2.   His Eminence Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke

An American leader who would work for the common good rather than the general wickedness? That’s Cardinal Burke. Pro-life to the core, he led the brave common sense effort to deny King Herod’s baby killing disciples Holy Communion (which, amazingly enough, was controversial within Catholic circles during Presidential election season). Also, celebrates the Tridentine Mass regularly and is the head of the Supreme Court (that’s the Vatican one; the anti-Roe court). Was Ordained by Paul VI (in one of that Pope’s finer moments). Pope Leo XIV versus Barack Obama (you wouldn’t need Don King to sell tickets to that one)…

3.   His Eminence Juan Luis Cipriani Cardinal Thorne

A Cardinal member of Opus Dei whose election would cause Jesuits and Dan Brown readers the world over to go into apoplexy. Banned communion in the hand in his Diocese: “I maintain that the best way to administer Communion is on the tongue, so much so that in my diocese I have forbidden the host in the hand." A Google search of Cardinal Cipriani controversial garnered 1,1000,000 hits, which has to be a good thing. Probably more of a conservative than a Traditionalist per se, he would no doubt be a forceful voice on the moral issues, and is one of the Cardinals of higher learning that realises the Ordination of women is impossible (except at fancy dress parties and Anglican conviviums).

4.   His Lordship Athanasius Schneider

Seems like he has celebrated the Latin Mass on nearly every continent (save Antarctica, but I’m looking into it). He is an Auxiliary Bishop from Astana in Kazakhstan(?), which although not considered a traditionally Catholic area, it does lay claim to one of the world’s most elaborate Masonic buildings. +Schneider himself opposes Freemasonry; which is good for a Pope. He is not a Cardinal, so he won’t vote. That didn’t stop Urban VI (who was elected a few moons ago in 1378). Like Urban VI, a +Schneider papacy would probably be followed by a schism, which mighn’t be a bad thing because it would be liberal catholics running for the nearest Uniting Church to escape the incense.

5.   His Excellency Bishop Bernard Fellay

I’d have to talk to the bookies, but I presume it’s a long-shot. Then again so was a Papal abdication. Maybe the Cardinal electors will be led by a dream (a la Peter the First). As for being outside the College of Cardinals, see Urban VI above. As he is the Superior General of the SSPX, some canonists say he is still suspended a divinis. Although I’m no canonist, I presume a Pope can lift his own suspension, or perhaps clarify that it was a nullity to  begin with (hey, everyone else gets annulments these days…) He’s the kind of Bishop who calls for ‘Rosary crusades’ (two words that offend liberals on two counts). If this truly remarkable election took place then marvels would abound (including a Paolo-Gabriele-type-Papal-pardon for Bishop Williamson, perhaps). It would also probably usher in the era of the Apocalypse.

6.   His Eminence Christoph Maria Michael Hugo Damian Peter Adalbert Graf Cardinal von Schönborn

… just kidding. Seriously, he’d be terrible.

Yours sincerely and optimistically that it’s 1,2, 3, 4 or 5
St John Fisher, Pray for Us

three_emcees_and_onedeacon

Re: Papabile for optimistic traditionalists
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:03:am »
A good read, with some good lines in there.

'a +Schneider papacy would probably be followed by a schism, which mighn’t be a bad thing because it would be liberal catholics running for the nearest Uniting Church to escape the incense.  :LOL:
One thing in this world is different from all others. It has a personality and a force. It is recognized and (when recognized) most violently hated or loved. It is the Catholic Church. Within that household the human spirit has roof and hearth. Outside it, is the night. --Hillaire Belloc

Richard C

• Blue Fish
  • Leo volo essem
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:36:am »
Fun read, thanks.

If nothing else, it genuinely gives me hope to read about any solid, traditional princes in the Church, whether they are electable or not.

I pray one is elected, though.

:pray:
"Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labor."
-- T.S. Eliot

"The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the degrading slavery of being a child of his age."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"The Catholic priest is simultaneously the victim offered on the altar.  All the older, traditional ceremonies of the Roman Rite underscore this foundational dimension of the Mass. If we don’t see that relationship of priest, altar, and victim in every Holy Mass, then the way Mass has been celebrated has failed.  If we don’t look for that relationship, then we are not really Catholic.  Mass is Calvary."
-- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf

Member of the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary: http://rosaryconfraternity.org/

DustinsDad

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:am »
Oh, but Cardinal Burke is too ''stubborn, bull-headed, yadayadayada...''  :blah: :blah: :blah:
(Psalms 115:16) O Lord, for I am thy servant: I am thy servant, and the son of thy handmaid. Thou hast broken my bonds:

(cf Luke 1:38)  And Mary said: Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done to me according to thy word.

(John 19:27) After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.

(Rev 12:17) And the dragon was angry against the woman: and went to make war with the rest of her seed, who keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Servus Immaculatae

• Et signum magnum apparuit in caelo
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:42:am »
6.   His Eminence Christoph Maria Michael Hugo Damian Peter Adalbert Graf Cardinal von Schönborn

I think it would be hilarious if Schönborn is chosen and he abrogates the NO in favor of the TLM, burns the originals of the V2 docs in the Easter Vigil fire, consecrates Russia, and excommunicates all the Modernists.

Hey, the title of the thread is "for optimistic trads"  :P
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

Freudentaumel

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:28:pm »
Actually, a French magazine thinks Cardinal Ranjith has a good chance.
"What you make with our Lord?" -Bishop Athanasius Schneider

DeoGratias72

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:33:pm »
We can look forward to the secular media informing us that the next successor of St Peter is a ‘step backwards for the Church’. Let’s hope so.

This list is for those praying that the that the Conclave’s chosen one represents ‘fifty steps back for the Church’.

1.   His Eminence Albert Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith Patabandige Don

A man with five names who speaks ten languages and the current Ordinary of the Archdiocese of Colombo (Sri Lanka). Has celebrated several high profile traditional Masses and is often pictured on traditionalist blogs in extremely nice vestments and with impressively tall miters. From the Asian continent, which will delight the progressive media, until such time as they background him and find out he is a Roman Catholic. In a typical example of his perspicacity he said those opposed to Benedict XVI’s Summorum Pontificum were allowing themselves to be ‘used as instruments of the devil’.

2.   His Eminence Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke

An American leader who would work for the common good rather than the general wickedness? That’s Cardinal Burke. Pro-life to the core, he led the brave common sense effort to deny King Herod’s baby killing disciples Holy Communion (which, amazingly enough, was controversial within Catholic circles during Presidential election season). Also, celebrates the Tridentine Mass regularly and is the head of the Supreme Court (that’s the Vatican one; the anti-Roe court). Was Ordained by Paul VI (in one of that Pope’s finer moments). Pope Leo XIV versus Barack Obama (you wouldn’t need Don King to sell tickets to that one)…

3.   His Eminence Juan Luis Cipriani Cardinal Thorne

A Cardinal member of Opus Dei whose election would cause Jesuits and Dan Brown readers the world over to go into apoplexy. Banned communion in the hand in his Diocese: “I maintain that the best way to administer Communion is on the tongue, so much so that in my diocese I have forbidden the host in the hand." A Google search of Cardinal Cipriani controversial garnered 1,1000,000 hits, which has to be a good thing. Probably more of a conservative than a Traditionalist per se, he would no doubt be a forceful voice on the moral issues, and is one of the Cardinals of higher learning that realises the Ordination of women is impossible (except at fancy dress parties and Anglican conviviums).

4.   His Lordship Athanasius Schneider

Seems like he has celebrated the Latin Mass on nearly every continent (save Antarctica, but I’m looking into it). He is an Auxiliary Bishop from Astana in Kazakhstan(?), which although not considered a traditionally Catholic area, it does lay claim to one of the world’s most elaborate Masonic buildings. +Schneider himself opposes Freemasonry; which is good for a Pope. He is not a Cardinal, so he won’t vote. That didn’t stop Urban VI (who was elected a few moons ago in 1378). Like Urban VI, a +Schneider papacy would probably be followed by a schism, which mighn’t be a bad thing because it would be liberal catholics running for the nearest Uniting Church to escape the incense.

5.   His Excellency Bishop Bernard Fellay

I’d have to talk to the bookies, but I presume it’s a long-shot. Then again so was a Papal abdication. Maybe the Cardinal electors will be led by a dream (a la Peter the First). As for being outside the College of Cardinals, see Urban VI above. As he is the Superior General of the SSPX, some canonists say he is still suspended a divinis. Although I’m no canonist, I presume a Pope can lift his own suspension, or perhaps clarify that it was a nullity to  begin with (hey, everyone else gets annulments these days…) He’s the kind of Bishop who calls for ‘Rosary crusades’ (two words that offend liberals on two counts). If this truly remarkable election took place then marvels would abound (including a Paolo-Gabriele-type-Papal-pardon for Bishop Williamson, perhaps). It would also probably usher in the era of the Apocalypse.

Yours sincerely and optimistically that it’s 1,2, 3, 4 or 5

:)

winoblue1

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 02:51:pm »
Schonborn would be a terrible pope... The only thing worse would be Bishop Mueller becoming pope.
Traditional Catholic seeking holiness.... seeking

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 05:04:pm »
Cardinal Burke won't be elected for the simple reason he's an American, so let's pull for Cardinal Ranjith! :)
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

crusaderfortruth3372

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 05:09:pm »
How about  either Cardinals Oullett, Scola or Bagnasco??? They seem to be moderate picks, who could turn out to be outstanding Popes and could become liturgically very conservative??? Obviously I have no idea who it will be and have no control over it, but if we can't get the more Traditional Cardinals like Burke, Ranjith or Juan Luis Cipriani Cardinal Thorne, then those other 3 would be my choice.
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits." -Archbishop Fulton Sheen