Choose style:

Author Topic: Mini Continent  (Read 832 times)

Poche

Mini Continent
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:am »
The remains of a micro continent scientists call Mauritia might be preserved beneath huge ammounts of ancient lava beneath the Indian Ocean.

http://news.yahoo.com/ancient-micro-continent-found-under-indian-ocean-194239722.html

AntoniusMaximus

• Anthony of Jersey
Re: Mini Continent
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:23:am »
I'm not saying it's Atlantis, but it's Atlantis  :LOL:

Poche

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:50:am »
In the Indian Ocean?

AntoniusMaximus

• Anthony of Jersey
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:13:pm »
Why not?

Poche

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 11:38:pm »
I thought Atlantis was supposed to have sunk into the Atlantic Ocean.
 ??? ??? ???

AntoniusMaximus

• Anthony of Jersey
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 01:03:am »
 ??? ??? ???

Well, assuming Atlantis was historical, it probably was located someplace in the Mediterranean, Plato was a little ambiguous in his description (and probably didn't care as the story is allegorical), essentially it can be either beyond the Pillars of Hercules (the Atlantic) or inside of it assuming Pillar of Hercules is the same as Gibraltar.  And some delusion folks actually searched for Atlantis in Antarctica.  However, there are other myths such as Dilmun which was supposed to be a blessed island rich in fruit and copper that some say sunk into the sea (many believe Dilmun to be modern day Bahrain, and I kind of have the idea that Dilmun is Genesis' Babel as oppose to Babylon itself).  I think a lot of sunken cities myths stem from rising sea levels, changing river courses, and volcanic eruptions.  It is fascination I find of the ancient myths and legends.

Poche

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:12:am »
 ??? ??? ???

Well, assuming Atlantis was historical, it probably was located someplace in the Mediterranean, Plato was a little ambiguous in his description (and probably didn't care as the story is allegorical), essentially it can be either beyond the Pillars of Hercules (the Atlantic) or inside of it assuming Pillar of Hercules is the same as Gibraltar.  And some delusion folks actually searched for Atlantis in Antarctica.  However, there are other myths such as Dilmun which was supposed to be a blessed island rich in fruit and copper that some say sunk into the sea (many believe Dilmun to be modern day Bahrain, and I kind of have the idea that Dilmun is Genesis' Babel as oppose to Babylon itself).  I think a lot of sunken cities myths stem from rising sea levels, changing river courses, and volcanic eruptions.  It is fascination I find of the ancient myths and legends.
Don't forget earthquakes.

Starry Plough

• Gold Fish
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 06:45:am »
I read something once that said a good candidate for Atlantis was the island of Thera, now known as Santorini. It supposedly had an advanced Minoan type civilization. The whole place was obliterated in an instant by a huge volcanic
explosion. All that is left is a cauldera so deep that ships can't anchor there. This is in the eastern Mediterranean.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:06:am by Starry Plough »

AntoniusMaximus

• Anthony of Jersey
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 09:03:am »
I read something once that said a good candidate for Atlantis was the island of Thera, now known as Santorini. It supposedly had an advanced Minoan type civilization. The whole place was obliterated in an instant by a huge volcanic
explosion. All that is left is a cauldera so deep that ships can't anchor there. This is in the eastern Mediterranean.

Some say that Thera eruption around 1450BC or so, was the catalyst for the plagues of the Exodus. 

Starry Plough

• Gold Fish
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:03:am »
Along with a tidal wave and parting of the Red Sea. One of the features of a tsunami is that before the wave hits it is often preceded by a sucking away of the sea. Harbors have been  drained so that the bottom can be seen.
Allowing lets say a group of people to flee on dry land so to speak. Then the giant wave returns the sea consuming  let's say an army chasing them. If you know what I mean.