Choose style:

Author Topic: The Bible on the History channel  (Read 3146 times)

crusaderfortruth3372

Re: The Bible on the History channel
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:25:am »
Most of it was pretty good, however they only mentioned that God gave Moses the 10 Commandments on the tablet...  I had wished they would show God explain and list what each of the 10 commandments were, or would that offend too many????  :Hmm:
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits." -Archbishop Fulton Sheen

ResiduumRevertetur

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:47:am »
I ...am just shocked at the liberties they took (from the get-go: Noah telling his "kids" what God delivered to Moses. It's plausible God said it Noah, as well, although very unlikely. As unlikely as it is that Noah is having to tell anybody anything since he'd spent an extraordinary number of years building the Ark and probably looking like a nut.)

And just after the botched sacrifice scene, they skip the 12 Tribes (to avoid controversy, probably) and Joseph and, well the rest of Genesis, and we go from Isaac to Moses as an adult, finding out he's not an Egyptian. (Loved how the Pharaoh was "American Good Dad").

:LOL: eh, it's good for laughs. They did do a good Sodom, and those AOTL (I used to call them "atols" because they're all through the OT) "Angels of the LORD" were pretty cool (one black, one Asian). I'm still just shocked they skipped the soap opera part (Isaac + Rebekah; Isaac's sons; and the whole selling Joseph to Israel. BIG. MISS.)
I watched in just about the same way. I wish I could just sit and enjoy something every once in a while. But nooooo. Instead I said, Hey, where's Melchisedech? Hey, what happened to Jacob/Israel? Where have all the Sodomites in Sodom gone to? Huh? Huh? Then the Catholics Come Home commercial came on and I shut up for a minute.
The name's Braintrust. Mr. Braintrust.

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people. --Stephen, Braveheart
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Deus, tu conversus vivificabis nos, et plebs tua laetabitur in te.

slewi

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:22:am »
It's only a 10 hour miniseries. They can't fit in every story obviously. But as far as where are the sodomites, it is either

1) this is still Hollywood, what did you expect?

Or

2) maybe they didn't want to get into sodomy in order to keep the show family friendly.

I suspect it was the former. They don't want to upset their gay friends.

DoktorDespot

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 03:30:pm »
It's only a 10 hour miniseries. They can't fit in every story obviously. But as far as where are the sodomites, it is either

1) this is still Hollywood, what did you expect?

Or

2) maybe they didn't want to get into sodomy in order to keep the show family friendly.

I suspect it was the former. They don't want to upset their gay friends.

There were some transgender looking types walking around in Sodom in the show.
" Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! "

Unum Sint

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 05:21:pm »
Does anybody know which version of the Bible they are doing. Or if they are going to include the Maccabees or is this mainly pander to Prots?

DoktorDespot

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 05:34:pm »
I'm pretty sure they are not including the Maccabess based on the website, but I would chalk that up more to only having five hours for the whole Old Testament versus "prot pandering." The producers are not Catholic though.
" Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! "

AntoniusMaximus

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 05:35:pm »
Does anybody know which version of the Bible they are doing. Or if they are going to include the Maccabees or is this mainly pander to Prots?

Is The Bible miniseries on the History Channel theologically accurate/correct/factual and based on biblical scripture?

The Bible is a docu-drama based on the stories in The Bible. As with any dramatization, some stories and timelines were altered to create a moving story that fit the 10 hour time frame.
    Mark Burnett and Roma Downey did consult a team of advisers while writing and filming the miniseries. This team includes: Rick Warren - Pastor, Saddleback, Joel Osteen - Pastor, Lakewood Church, Erwin McManus - Pastor, Mosaic, Jim Daly - Focus on the Family, Sam Rodriguez - National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, Paul Eshleman - Campus Crusade for Christ, Bobby Gruenewald - YouVersion Bible, Brad Lomenick - Catalyst, Leith Anderson - National Association of Evangelicals, Frank Wright - National Religious Broadcasters, Tom Peterson - Catholics Come Home, Geoff Tunnicliffe - World Evangelical Alliance, Gabe Lyons - Q, Luis Palau, George Wood - Assemblies of God, Craig Groeschel - Life Church, Denny Rydberg - Young Life, Andrew Benton - Pepperdine University
    The Bible miniseries is based on the (NIV) New International Version and the (NRS) New Revised Standard Version of the Bible.

http://www.thebibleminiseries.com/frequently-asked-questions/

I think it is safe to say that Maccabees will probably not be in it, and if it is.  It will surely be abbreviated.  

StCeciliasGirl

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 07:14:pm »
I know that the Prots are going to freak out when they see Roma (who wanted to play "the BVM", as per her EWTN interview) push through the crowds to physically help Jesus carry the cross. Roma said that was her own personal touch. I liked Mel Gibson's portrayal a lot better, and doubt (from the previews alone) I will watch Roma's Mary and so forth. Gibson knocked it out of the park. Roma wanted to play the BVM (she kept saying that) and that was her thing; Mary helping + Jesus hoist the cross and get to Calvary.

And that will pretty much do the Prots in pretty well; I can hear it now. 'Oh, Catholics think Mary IS the Lord!", so any Coming Home commercials, while admittedly touching, will be pretty much blown by then. —Unless she's hoping her "Touched by an Angel" fans will accept her personal touch and see some light or whatever.

I didn't mean to sound overly critical of the Bible Miniseries :LOL: —even before Gibson's POTC, (the cover of which I display in our living room), our Parish had prayer that POTC would be well done. Boy were our prayers answered! ♥ We'll be watching POTC on Good Friday, as has been our tradition since it became available on DVD. (I've GOT to get that Charlton Heston movie my family always talked about so highly.)
Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God.
Card. Bergoglio, 2010, same sex marriage

May Saint John Baptist protect Islam and all the people of Jordan, and all who partecipated in this celebration, a memorable celebration. I’m very grateful to all of you.
+ J M J +

AntoniusMaximus

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 08:46:pm »
I know that the Prots are going to freak out when they see Roma (who wanted to play "the BVM", as per her EWTN interview) push through the crowds to physically help Jesus carry the cross. Roma said that was her own personal touch. I liked Mel Gibson's portrayal a lot better, and doubt (from the previews alone) I will watch Roma's Mary and so forth. Gibson knocked it out of the park. Roma wanted to play the BVM (she kept saying that) and that was her thing; Mary helping + Jesus hoist the cross and get to Calvary.

And that will pretty much do the Prots in pretty well; I can hear it now. 'Oh, Catholics think Mary IS the Lord!", so any Coming Home commercials, while admittedly touching, will be pretty much blown by then. —Unless she's hoping her "Touched by an Angel" fans will accept her personal touch and see some light or whatever.

I didn't mean to sound overly critical of the Bible Miniseries :LOL: —even before Gibson's POTC, (the cover of which I display in our living room), our Parish had prayer that POTC would be well done. Boy were our prayers answered! ♥ We'll be watching POTC on Good Friday, as has been our tradition since it became available on DVD. (I've GOT to get that Charlton Heston movie my family always talked about so highly.)

I wonder if she is going to play the younger BVM at the Annunciation.   

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 07:41:am »
I'm pretty sure they are not including the Maccabess based on the website, but I would chalk that up more to only having five hours for the whole Old Testament versus "prot pandering." The producers are not Catholic though.

Well, according to Wikipedia, citing the Washington Post, the twice divorced and remarried Roma Downey, one of the producers, (her third 'marriage' was presided over by Della Reese, who it seems, is an 'ordained minister' of a 'Christian New Thought' congregation :LOL:) is a 'devout Catholic'! :eyeroll:
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.