Choose style:

Author Topic: Pope Francis' Holy Thursday Mass: 3 minute homily, women's feet washed  (Read 19902 times)

Lateran15

• seeking dashi in the blighted Midwest
"Wash somebody's feet today. A family member, a Lost Sheep, somebody in need.  Mass of the Washing of Feet at 7pm, with adoration to follow!"

Exact and true copy of the email that my nearest NO Parish sent out earlier today.

I can not post here what I am thinking.

catquilt

"Wash somebody's feet today. A family member, a Lost Sheep, somebody in need.  Mass of the Washing of Feet at 7pm, with adoration to follow!"

Exact and true copy of the email that my nearest NO Parish sent out earlier today.

I can not post here what I am thinking.

Hey, it's all good!  ???

Because the gospel of the mandatum read on Holy Thursday also depicts Jesus as the "Teacher and Lord" who humbly serves his disciples by performing this extraordinary gesture which goes beyond the laws of hospitality,2 the element of humble service has accentuated the celebration of the foot washing rite in the United States over the last decade or more. In this regard, it has become customary in many places to invite both men and women to be participants in this rite in recognition of the service that should be given by all the faithful to the Church and to the world. Thus, in the United States, a variation in the rite developed in which not only charity is signified but also humble service.

Lynne

+JMJ+

"They had to destroy the village in order to save the village"

Oatmeal

I guess if the Holy Father isn't going to, "Say the black and do the red," then why should anyone else have to?

I'm going to go lie down for a bit.

Lavalliere

I guess if the Holy Father isn't going to, "Say the black and do the red," then why should anyone else have to?

I'm going to go lie down for a bit.

That sums it up.

All hell and chaos is about to break loose in the church.  Might as well have a rubric book burning bash.   Rules and regulations?  Ha!  Who needs 'em?

What an absolute mess.

winoblue1

Here is the link to the video showing the new pope washing the feet of girls... and he gives a smile after doing it too...!

http://www.romereports.com/palio/pope-francis-washes-feet-of-12-jailed-minors-including-two-girls-at-detention-center-english-9607.html
Traditional Catholic seeking holiness.... seeking

cunctas_haereses

Thank you, oatmeal.

Because the gospel of the mandatum read on Holy Thursday also depicts Jesus as the "Teacher and Lord" who humbly serves his disciples by performing this extraordinary gesture which goes beyond the laws of hospitality,2 the element of humble service has accentuated the celebration of the foot washing rite in the United States over the last decade or more. In this regard, it has become customary in many places to invite both men and women to be participants in this rite in recognition of the service that should be given by all the faithful to the Church and to the world. Thus, in the United States, a variation in the rite developed in which not only charity is signified but also humble service.

While this variation may differ from the rubric of the Sacramentary which mentions only men ("viri selecti"), it may nevertheless be said that the intention to emphasize service along with charity in the celebration of the rite is an understandable way of accentuating the evangelical command of the Lord, "who came to serve and not to be served," that all members of the Church must serve one another in love.

Why call yourself 'Strict Catholic Girl' when you're not strict at all? The rubrics state clearly - no women. It's not a 'variation' - it's a violation. And long term violation is no justification. Sad.
Heaven is a REWARD, not a RIGHT.

Every truly pagan society has, at it's core, some form of human sacrifice. In today's world, it's abortion.

ggreg

• Banned for being an ass and bringing up old things that need not be brought up, even after she was told not to
it is pathetic that if true, we have a pope that broke the church's liturgical rules on washing only men's feet to signify the apostles.

Makes you wonder, what intended message is he sending by placing women in this position that signifies the priesthood...

We have always washed the feet of both men and women at Holy Thursday. Been doing it for years and years. Are the liturgical rules to not include women binding in ALL archdioceses? Or can a bishop make allowances?

From Fr. Z:

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/03/of-holy-thursday-and-the-foot-washing-rite-problems-solutions/

"...let it be remember (sic) that the Church’s legislation allows for the washing of the feet of only men.  MEN = VIRI = MEN.  Not manish women or any other critter.  Even if some claim to have received permission to wash the feet of women, and even if the claims were true, those permissions would in no way change the law for the rest of the world.  Period.  Furthermore, I have never seen a letter or a copy of a letter from the Congregation in Rome granting such a permission.  I doubt anyone else has either."

This document on the USCCB website, http://old.usccb.org/liturgy/q&a/general/feet.shtml  , seems to imply that a "version" of the rite has appeared in the U.S. in which the feet of women are washed.  Mention of special permission from the Vatican for this variation is conspicuously absent.

From the comments section.

26 March 2013 at 8:22 am
Fr AJ says: if our Holy Father Francis washes women’s feet … does that change the law?

Fr. John Zuhlsdorf replies: Certainly not. All that would do is alter our opinion of him.

Louis_Martin

• High Overlord
  • Chances are I'm not being serious.
My neoconservative Catholic friends are strangely silent about this.

The "reform of the reform" crowd now has two choices:
Abandon the reform of the reform or admit the pope did something wrong, the very thing they used to harangue the trads about.

The reform of the reform folks are now either trads or libs.  They can't straddle that fence anymore.
Strive, not for what is acceptable, but for what is greatest.

I don't pretend to know everything, but I don't pretend to not know what I know I know, so I know what I know and I like people who agree with what I know I know, and I'm indifferent to differences of opinion on what I know I don't know.

winoblue1

It is pretty clear now where this pope stands on not only liturgy but on the more general topic of Church tradition.
He doesn't care one bit about either.
Traditional Catholic seeking holiness.... seeking

thatbirdwoman

Here's Michael Voris' vortex episode from a year ago about foot washing.

I wonder how he feels now about the Pope doing it.
"I see so many souls from Purgatory that they don't frighten me any more'. 'More souls of the dead than the living climb this mountain to attend my Masses and seek my prayers.' (Padre Pio)
"And he said to them: Go ye into the whole world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized, shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall be condemned." -Mark 15:15-16.