Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Cardinal O’Malley Hosting Obama at Cathedral for Interfaith Prayer Service  (Read 6153 times)

St. Pius of Trent

http://bostoncatholicinsider.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/cardinal-omalley-hosting-obama-at-cathedral-for-interfaith-prayer-service/

As a reminder.....

No one must either pray nor sing psalms with heretics, and whosoever shall communicate with those who are cut off from the communion of the Church, whether clergy or layman: Let him be excommunicated. Council of Carthage

That the faithful and clergy should pray for Christian unity under the leadership of heretics can in no way be tolerated. Ven. Pope Pius IX

Is it permitted for Catholics to be present at, or take part in, conventions, gatherings, meetings, or societies of non-Catholics which aim to associate together under a single agreement all who in any way lay claim to the name of Christian? In the negative! It is clear, therefore, why this Apostolic See has never allowed its subjects to take part in the assemblies of non-Catholics. There is only one way in which the unity of Christians may be fostered, and that is by furthering the return to the one true Church of Christ of those who are separated from her. Pope Pius XI

“Indeed the true friends of the people are neither the revolutionaries nor innovators, they are the traditionalists.”
― St. Pius X

Basilios

A beautiful outreach to the world. I think it's not going far enough though, there is still some medieval triumphalism in this attitude. I mean, this guy still uses outdated titles like "Cardinal", and it's being held in a building which only serves to emphasis religious egotism. Personally I would like to see Obama lead the prayers with his wife, in an outside open-air area, with some worship and praise songs directed to mother earth, with some representatives from all the species of the world because animals are people too.
This Jimmy Rustling post brought to you by WE ARE CHURCH.
Sponsored by 'Unrustling for Dummies'.

Please pray for me!

StCeciliasGirl

The most HOLY thing I heard, which knocked me off my seat, was by the Muslim guy (who is probably Muslim in name only, since he named all these names for God, which Muslims don't do).

I see O'Malley. Hmm. O'Malley is in the house. God may be taking an eraser to the Book of Life. Maybe me, since I don't see this interfaith stuff that our forebears would have seen as mass heresy and called forth a Crusade on America.

:safe:

Okay, WHAT is a yo yo ma? Oooh, he's pretty good on strings! Someone give  yo yo an Adoremus so he can play something that has meaning. :LOL: --> Even Obama is like, "what is he doing?"
Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God.
Card. Bergoglio, 2010, same sex marriage

May Saint John Baptist protect Islam and all the people of Jordan, and all who partecipated in this celebration, a memorable celebration. I’m very grateful to all of you.
+ J M J +

CaptCrunch73

Is the Tabernacle empty, at least?
"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
-- Thomas Aquinas

"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

StCeciliasGirl

Obama just said that Boston was in "the state of grace". So, um, I don't think they care about much else besides glorying in their own "state of grace," canonizing their own saints (the dead), oh, and declaring miracles yet to come (that all the injured will run again, legs or not! Guess he forgot about those with injuries besides amputation.)

CLAPPING! They are CLAPPING up in a former-Cathedral.

Do you SEE the Tabernacle? I'm trying to see where it is. I see furnishings...???
Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God.
Card. Bergoglio, 2010, same sex marriage

May Saint John Baptist protect Islam and all the people of Jordan, and all who partecipated in this celebration, a memorable celebration. I’m very grateful to all of you.
+ J M J +

DoktorDespot

Obama just said that Boston was in "the state of grace". So, um, I don't think they care about much else besides glorying in their own "state of grace," canonizing their own saints (the dead), oh, and declaring miracles yet to come (that all the injured will run again, legs or not! Guess he forgot about those with injuries besides amputation.)

CLAPPING! They are CLAPPING up in a former-Cathedral.

Do you SEE the Tabernacle? I'm trying to see where it is. I see furnishings...???

Cathedrals usually have a separate chapel for reserving the blessed sacrament. It would definitely not be on the high altar.
" Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! "

paxetveritas

I've been there several times.  Holy Cross has a smaller Blessed Sacrament chapel, but there is a tabernacle on the high altar.  I don't know whether the Eucharist is normally reserved in it.  It's white like the rest of the altar so it's a bit hard to see in the video.  Also the high altar has this strange brass railing right in front of it (not an altar rail).

I just saw a video.... Obama is speaking from the actual pulpit   

I think it's nice enough that there is a prayer service, and to be charitable, maybe they used the cathedral simply because it is the largest church available. But there is NO reason for Obama to be in the pulpit.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:39:pm by paxetveritas »

formerbuddhist

Yes but ecumenism is the official teaching of the Catholic Church since Vatican II,a fact that has been ratified time and time again by the modern Popes themselves through encyclicals (Ut Unum Sint) and actions (praying in synagogues, mosques; assisi, etc.). It is true that the earliest Christians forbade and even anathamatized those who would pray with those not of the faith but that has been changed since Vatican II. If one is to accept the authority of Vatican II, the modern Popes and even the 1983 code of Canon Law one cannot really object to ecumenism and not be at odds with the official teachings of what Catholics believe to be a valid Ecumenical Council not unlike that of Nicaea, Ephesus, Chalcedon etc. Vatican II and the modern Popes have actually made things like this ecumenical prayer service with Cardinal O'Malley not even possible but acceptable and par for the course. In fact Vatican II even states that priests need an "ecumenical formation" as part of seminary education. That this new orientation is in flagrant violation of millenia of Church teaching is undeniable and yet it happens anyway.

As for this recent "event" all I can say is that it is probably more about a community trying to be in solidarity in the midst of a tragedy than anything else. Sentimentalism and as someone else said "cermonial deism" reign in events like the one mentioned.  That being said it is still in bad taste I think. It would have been better for Cardinal O'Malley to have Solemn Vespers and pray for the dead and make it a somber affair but unfortunately the brand of Catholicism  in the mainstream is the happy clappy, sentimental Communion in the hand "God is love" "everyone goes to Heaven" kind.  Traditionalism is a tiny minority and a persecuted one at that. As a good traditional priest once said "there is a caste system in the Church and we (traditionalists) are the Untouchables."
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

Tim

The only good thing is Obama has been a failure, if he had solved the problems we are facing he'd be the perfect candidate for the Anti...

tim

formerbuddhist

He has been a failure but all that matters is how the media spins the job he has done.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: