Choose style:

Author Topic: Pope Francis to drive used car...by himself.  (Read 2689 times)

damooster

• Gold Fish
    • Moo the Catholic
Pope Francis to drive used car...by himself.
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:30:pm »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/pope-francis-plans-drive-car-vatican-city-article-1.1453001
He’s a holy roller!

Pope Francis’ plans to drive around Vatican City in a 1984 Renault 4 have his security guards in a tizzy.

The sweet wheels have already logged 190,000 miles on the road. It’s a second hand gift from a northern Italian priest who used the car to visit his poor parishioners, Famiglia Cristiana reports.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/pope-francis-plans-drive-car-vatican-city-article-1.1453001#ixzz2hYqiSOqk

I'm actually posting this because when I was military police in the Army, I was trained in Personal Security Detachment (PSD). So I know how his security detail team is probably like "Oh come on!"

But really...I've noticed that many traditional Catholics prefer that he not do these kinds of thing. Why is this? I can maybe understand the repercussions it has for Pope Benedict (because of the comparisons)...but any other good reasons? I think this is an awesome thing.

Deidre

Re: Pope Francis to drive used car...by himself.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:51:pm »
For me, I wish that he wouldn't do this kind of thing because A) it's probably not safe; and B) when the next Pope wants to re-instate the use of the Papal apartments, the Papal throne, or (unlikely but not impossible) the Papal tiara, people will probably get all upset about it and say that the money spent on these things needs to be spent on the poor. Or world peace. Or dialogue with other religions. You get the idea. But, in the end it's not really my business what the Holy Father chooses to do about his accomodations.  :Hmm:
“I will never abandon you, my child. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.”
-Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God."
- St. Jean-Baptiste Marie Vianney

christulsa123

• Our dog Snowy gets to wear a cone for a week.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:pm »
I don't see a problem with Francis preferring a used car.  As long as he doesn't use badly worn or banal sacred items like vestments. When it comes to his private person, I think it sets a good example for a pope to live more simply. When it comes to his public Office though, especially when exercising his sacred functions as Vicar of Christ, nothing less than gold and fine incense will do. Another point, this pope, unlike most, is a religious under the vow of poverty, so driving an old car is fitting.
I am a traditional Catholic attached to the SSPX and Pope Francis. I attended NO for 24 years, then the Byzantine Mass for 1 year, then FSSP for 7 years, and now SSPX for 6 years. My wife and I met on SSPXSingles.com.

onosurf

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:32:pm »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/pope-francis-plans-drive-car-vatican-city-article-1.1453001
He’s a holy roller!

Pope Francis’ plans to drive around Vatican City in a 1984 Renault 4 have his security guards in a tizzy.

The sweet wheels have already logged 190,000 miles on the road. It’s a second hand gift from a northern Italian priest who used the car to visit his poor parishioners, Famiglia Cristiana reports.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/pope-francis-plans-drive-car-vatican-city-article-1.1453001#ixzz2hYqiSOqk

I'm actually posting this because when I was military police in the Army, I was trained in Personal Security Detachment (PSD). So I know how his security detail team is probably like "Oh come on!"

But really...I've noticed that many traditional Catholics prefer that he not do these kinds of thing. Why is this? I can maybe understand the repercussions it has for Pope Benedict (because of the comparisons)...but any other good reasons? I think this is an awesome thing.

It's very proletariat.  Not even President Obama would do this, and he isn't the Vicar of Christ. 
The Traditional Latin Mass turned pagans into Catholics.  The Novus Ordo Mass turned Catholics into pagans.

Poche

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:23:am »
He’s a holy roller!

many of the people complaining about him are are always complaing. If Pope Francis were to say, "God is good." these same people would all pick what he said apart and post on the "heretical" teaching of Francis the pope.

Poche

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:06:am »
The photo was as popular as the famous snapshot of the Pope boarding the flight to Rio de Janeiro carrying his own hand luggage. Last Saturday afternoon (7 September) Francis was photographed getting into an old white Renault 4. A new poor style Popemobile? Catholic weekly magazine Famiglia Cristiana revealed why the snapshot of Bergoglio getting into the Renault was taken.

The car in questioni s a 1984 Renault 4, with Italian registration plate Verona 779684. “The great thing is that that car has a 300-kilometre long history of charitable journeys on the clock,” the magazine wrote. The car belonged to Fr. Renzo Zocca, the parish priest of Santa Lucia di Pescantina in the northern Italian city of Verona. “It had been sitting in a garage looking slightly battered, even thug the priest had had it checked and certified as a vintage car. Fr. Renzo, who turns 70 in November, has worked as a periphery parish priest, founder of Italian social cooperative Àncora, giving many people jobs and assistance. His periphery was the working class neighbourhood of Saval in Verona, where he was parish priest in the 80’s.”

Fr. Renzo fought barehanded against drug dealers who were ruining the lives of the younger members of his flock and sent him death threats. But he carried on, even after being stabbed. “I wanted to be an embodiment of the Council in that periphery parish that was my life: I have spent 25 years there. My brother and I lived in a ninth floor council flat: I used to joke that my parsonage was the highest in the whole of Italy.” The white Renault 4 was given to him as a gift. “Fr. Renzo used that 800 cc, 30 hp economy car with the four-speed gear stick next to the steering wheel and the seats resembling deck chairs to go up and down the neighbourhood, visiting areas outside his parish as well: school summer camps, summer oratories, welcome centres, the Aosta Valley, the Dolomites, Rome and so on. By the end he had 300 thousand Km on the clock” and he has never left it out on the street…

Fr. Zocca wrote to Francis to talk to him about his experience and give him a gift: the Renault 4. Francis telephoned him at 10.19 on 10 August. They spoke for a while about the mission in the peripheries. “I told him I wanted him to have the car. “Are you sure? He asked me. “Do you really want t ogive it to me? Wouldn’t it be better to give it to the poor?” I told him that that car had already done a great deal for the poor and that it was now time it went to the Pope and in the heat of the moment I raised my voice without meaning to. “Do you have another car?”, he asked me. When I said I had a newer car, the Pope agreed.” We agreed I would deliver the Renault to him on Saturday 7 September, the day of the big peace vigil for Syria.
The fully-serviced and beautifully polished Renault 4 was transported to the Vatican on a tow truck, accompanied by  Fr. Renzo and 100 pilgrims who travelled by coach. For security reasons, only 50 or so parishioners were allowed to enter the Vatican to be there when the car was given to the Pope. But Fr. Renzo told Francis about the 50 others who waited outside. “Let’s go!”, the Pope said. “Four of us got into the car: I sat in the driver’s seat, the Pope in the passengers seat and Stefano, a mechanic and my assistant Luigi sat in the back. “Go slowly, we’re in the Vatican!”, Stefano said. The speedometer read 30 Km/hr. I cannot tell you how excited those fifty parishioners were to see the R4 arrive and the Holy Father get out.”

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/papa-pope-el-papa-renault-4-27699/

Be careful, he could be driving to a parish near you.
 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PolishTrad

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:45:am »
Honestly speaking, I don't think it matters whether Pope Francis decides to drive a used car or be carried in sedia gestatoria. It also doesn't matter for me that he is very spontaneous and likes to be with the people. What matters is his attitude towards Catholic orthodoxy, which, unfortunately, is highly ambiguous.
Non sum dignus.

Recordare, Iesu pie,
Quod sum causa tuæ viæ:
Ne me perdas illa die.

Do not despair; one of the thieves was saved. Do not presume; one of the thieves was damned.

Landless Laborer

• Assarting we will go ♫
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:13:am »
He’s a holy roller!

Because it smacks of Judas Iscariot's errors. 

Chestertonian

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:42:am »
He’s a holy roller!

It's very proletariat.  Not even President Obama would do this, and he isn't the Vicar of Christ. 

That's because Obama is a hypocrite.  He'll go on and on about strengthening our public schools, he tries to come off as so humble, and yet he sends his daughters to a prestigious prep school. 

With a name like Francis what are you going to expect?  Other popes who have taken vows of poverty have also tried to live them out as pope, perhaps they didn't have the ability to drive an 80's car like Pope Francis wants to.

In the end it's just a car.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Chestertonian

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:43:am »
What matters is his attitude towards Catholic orthodoxy, which, unfortunately, is highly ambiguous.

this, to me, is also what is more unsettling.

I kind of just want to sleep through this entire papacy.  anyone have any xanax?
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"