Choose style:

Author Topic: Why is men's fashion so boring?  (Read 7071 times)

Archbishop_10K

Why is men's fashion so boring?
« on: April 26, 2006, 12:03:am »

If you look at men's dress clothes of pre-Victorian ages, they look just as varied and colorful as women's dress, if not moreso. I was shopping for a suit today and the suit section was relatively colorless: just a whole lot of black, some dark blues, and browns, and they're all cut virtually the same way. I especially hate tuxedos, all of which look pretty much exactly the same, in penguin style.

Whatever happened to these?

miss_fluffy

• Domina Frivola
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:30:am »
I cannot emphasize enough how attractive a man in a fine suit, or better yet, a tuxedo looks to a lady.  
Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.– Buddha

Note: According to this precept, I find that Buddhism is NOT true.  I have tested and judged many things, and the only Truth I have found is in God's One True Church: The Catholic Church.

Dear Lord, I know I can live by Your Holy Will every moment of my life, because You have given me faith that Your Grace will enable me to.

Archbishop_10K

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:43:am »

To me, modern men's dress fashion has been infiltrated by the NO or something. The difference between pre and post Victorian dress styles is like the difference between pre and post Vatican II clerical vestments.

DominusTecum

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 12:59:am »

what you posted above was not "pre-Victorian," it was more like "renaissance"

Marty

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 12:59:am »

10K -

I dare you to buy that thing and wear it to work/school.

Brennus

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 09:44:am »

I like the way men dressed in Victorian times, with vests, or waistcoats, and those tall hats. Men are different from women and we strive to dress with uniformity and have small distinguishing signs of rank and so forth. Women, on the other hand, strive to be individual. They don't want to be wearing the same dress another woman is wearing.

Brennus

Trevor

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 10:31:am »
I only want to wear the  brown suit Depp wore in Finding Neverland, nothing else ever.

Any Trads in Richmond?

gladius_veritatis

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 12:46:pm »

Chesterton laments in a few places of the drabness of modern dress (and he grew up in the Victorian period).

We have only grown more dull - in body, mind, and soul - since then.  In the glorious days during the age of Faith, bright colors and interesting garments were seen frequently on men.  The uniformity was left to the monks, whose flowing habits were still far more interesting than a pair of dress slacks, or a modern suit.

Archbishop_10K

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 01:56:pm »
Quote from: DominusTecum

what you posted above was not "pre-Victorian," it was more like "renaissance"

Well, that's a late 18th century coat, which would make it pre-Victorian indeed (perhaps pre-Napoleonic would be more accurate).

Here's an example of the more non-westernized forms of Chinese men's fashion.

I have a couple of oriental-style outfits like this, but I can't wear it to a corporate luncheon that I'm going to tomorrow because all the other guys will be wearing boring, bland suits.

This also reminds me: the male multimillionaire celebrities of today are much wealthier than the nobles of past ages. They have easy access to all the richest fabrics and talented designers in the world. And yet, when they show up to events like the Academy Awards, they all wear the exact same penguin-style tuxedo, even the fashion designers themselves. I just don't get it.

gladius_veritatis

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 02:30:pm »

Quote from: Aviano
 ETA: Oops, sorry, just noticed this was the men's forum.

Get her, boys!