Choose style:

Author Topic: The Fate of John the Apostle and the Sacred Heart  (Read 1113 times)

dominic1015

• Dominique-
    a-nique-
    a-nique

Excerpt from the Life and Revelations of St. Gertrude the Great – Part IV chapter IV

The Apostle had a magnificent rational[1] on his breast, to indicate his prerogative of having reposed on the bosom of Jesus during the last Supper.  The words, In principio erat verbum, were written on it in letters of living gold, to show the marvelous virtue of the words contained in his Gospel.  Then St. Gertrude said to our Lord: “O most loving Lord, why is Thy beloved one manifested to a creature so unworthy as I am?”  Our Lord answered: “I have done this that he may be united to you by a special friendship; and as you have no apostle, I have appointed him to be ever your faithful advocate with Me in heaven.”  “Teach me, then, my sweetest Lord,” she replied, “how can I show my gratitude to him?”  Our Lord answered: “If any person says a Pater noster daily in honor of this Apostle, reminding him of the sweet fidelity with which his heart was filled when I taught this prayer, he will not fail to obtain for whoever prays thus the grace of persevering faithfully in virtue, even to the end of his life.”

This Apostle also appeared to the Saint as she assisted at matins, on his Feast, when she applied with a special fervour to her usual exercises.  Gertrude then recommended some of the religious of whom she had charge very fervently to him; he received her prayer very lovingly and said: “I am like my master in this—that I love those who love me.”  The Saint inquired: “What grace, then, and what benefit, can I hope for, who am so unworthy, on your dear Feast?”  “Come,” he replied; “come with me, thou elect one of my Lord, and let us repose together on the sweetest bosom of the Lord, in which all the treasures of beatitude lie hidden.” Then, taking her up in spirit, he presented her to our loving Saviour; and having placed her on His right side, he placed himself on the left, and reposed there.  Then he exclaimed, pointing reverently to the bosom of Jesus: “Behold, this is the Saint of saints, who draws to Himself all that is good in heaven and on earth!”

She then inquired of St   John why he placed himself on the left hand, and had given the right to her.  He replied: “it is because I have become one spirit with God, and am able to penetrate where flesh cannot enter; but you are not yet able to penetrate into such high things, because you are still in the flesh.  I have therefore placed you at the opening of the Divine Heart, from whence you may drink in all the sweet consolations which flow from it with such impetuous abundance, that it is capable of satisfying all who desire to taste thereof.”  Then, as she felt the constant pulsations of the Divine Heart, and rejoiced exceedingly thereat, she said to St. John: “Beloved of God, didst not thou feel those pulsations when thou wert lying on the Lord’s Breast at the Last Supper?  “Yes, he replied; “and this with such plentitude, that liquid does not enter more rapidly into bread than the sweetness of those pleasures penetrated my soul, so that my spirit became more ardent than water under the action of a glowing fire.”

“And why,” she inquired, “have you neither said nor written anything of this for our edification?”  He replied:  “Because I was charged with instructing the newly formed Church concerning the mysteries of the uncreated Word, that those truths might be transmitted to future ages, as far as they would be capable of comprehending them, for no one can comprehend them entirely; and I deferred speaking of these Divine pulsations until later ages, that the world might be aroused from its torpor, and animated, when it had grown cold, by hearing of these things.”  Then, as she contemplated St. John reposing upon the bosom of the Lord, he said to her: “I now appear to you in the same form as when I lay on the bosom of my beloved Lord and only Friend at the Last Supper; but if you wish it, I will obtain for you the favour of beholding me in the form in which I now enjoy the delights of heaven.”  And as she desired this favour very ardently, she beheld an immense ocean within the Heart of Jesus, in which St. John appeared to float with ineffable joy and perfect freedom; and she learned that the Saint became so filled and inebriated with the torrent of pleasure which he tasted in God, that a vein came from his heart, whereby he poured forth the sweet waters of the Divinity—that is to say, his instructions, and above all, his Gospel—over the face of the earth.  

----From the end of the chapter----

Our Lord speaks, “I have rewarded My elect in heaven with a special glory for his virginity, and for the compassion which he had at My death; but I have also recompensed his lively hope, which made him believe that I would refuse him nothing, by withdrawing him from the world without permitting him to experience the paints of death, and by having preserved his body from corruption.”

Prayer to St. John the Evangelist

O Glorious Saint John, you were so loved by Iesus that you merited to rest your head upon his breast, and to be left in His place as a son to Mary. Obtain for us an ardent love for Iesus and Mary. Let me be united with them now on earth and forever after in heaven. Amen.

Saint John; the Divine

Saint John; Mary’s Priest

Saint John; in whom God has graced

Saint John; Doctor and prophet of the Church

Saint John; Son of Thunder

Saint John; Assumed into Heaven body and soul

Saint John; Guardian of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Saint John; the Eagle of Ezekiel

Saint John; who sits at the right hand of Iesus, the Son of God

Saint John; Beloved by Christ

Saint John; witness of the Crucifixion

Saint John; great in strength and zeal

(R.) Pray for us

[1] The rational was the high-priests breast-plate (Ex. xxv.7) Calmet speaks thus of it: “This appellation was given to embroidery about ten inches square, which the high-priest wore on his breast.  On it were placed four rows of precious stones, on each of which the name of one of the tribes of Israel was engraved.  The rational was doubled, and contained within it the mystic Urim and Thummim.  The name ‘rational’ or ‘rational of judgment,’ was given to it either because the judgment and the will of God were made known thereby, or because the high-priest wore it when he pronounced judgment on graven affairs.”

Ah! what a nice sort of clergy we shall soon be having (speaking sacrastically) And what is really strange, and characteristic of our times, is that a movement towards mysticism is apparent among the laity, while a precisely contrary movement is observable among the priests; on the same road, we are advancing, and they are marching backward; laity and priests have exchanged their functions. Soon the pastor and his flocks will cease entirely to understand each other."  ~L'Oblat by Joris Karl Huysmans 1903

FifthMark

The Fate of John the Apostle and the Sacred Heart
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 11:35:am »

Saint John; Assumed into Heaven body and soul

Huh?

Quoniam magnus es tu et faciens mirabilia tu es Deus solus
(Psalmus lxxxv.10)

dominic1015

• Dominique-
    a-nique-
    a-nique
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 12:17:pm »
I know how that sounds, as I was unfamilar with this Tradition until a few years ago.  I know that the work of Jacobus may be somewhat embellished in some areas; but the Revelations of Gertrude also make this assertion about St. John.  
We know from the Old Testament that Elisah was taken up to Heaven body and soul; or the Bossom of Abraham since heaven was not yet open.  At some point after the Resurrection; this had to have been made true with him also, since scripture claims that he was taken both 'body and soul'.  
Some traditions assert that St. Joseph was taken in this manner too.  I have a small list of other saints indicated below of which the same claim is made.  

Those Saints who are said to be in Heaven Both body and soul

John the Evangelist, Saint Joseph, Saint Adam, Saint Eve, Saint Abel, Saint Abraham, Saint Isaac, Saint Melchisedech, Saint David, Saint Job, Saint Jonas, Saint Moses, Saint Josue, Saint Samuel, Saint Isaias - Source The Communion of Saints, Sanctity through the Centuries - Published by the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary 1972

The Golden Legend
compiled by Jacobus de Voragine
The Life of Saint John the Evangelist (Excerpt
Saint John wrote his gospels after the other Evangelists, the year after the ascension of our Lord sixty-six, after this that the venerable Bede saith. And when he was required and prayed of the bishops of the country of Ephesus to write them, Saint John prayed also to them, that they should fast and pray in their dioceses three days for him to the end that he might truly write them. Saint Jerome saith of this glorious apostle Saint John, that, when he was so old, so feeble and so unmighty that his disciples sustained and bare him in going to church, and as of times he rested, he said to his disciples: Fair children, love ye together, and each of you love other. And then his disciples demanded why and wherefore he said to them so oft such words. He answered to them and said: Our Lord had so commanded, and whosomever accomplished well this commandment it should suffice him for to be saved. And finally after that he had founded many churches and had ordained bishops and priests in them, and confirmed them by his predication in the christian faith, the year sixty-eight after the resurrection of Jesu Christ, for he was thirty-one years old when our Lord was crucified, and lived after sixty-eight years, and thus was all his age ninety-nine years. Then came our Lord with his disciples to him and said: Come my friend to me, for it is time that thou come, eat and be fed at my table with thy brethren. Then Saint John arose up and said to our Lord Jesu Christ. that he had desired it long time, and began to go. Then said our Lord to him: On Sunday next coming thou shalt come to me. That Sunday the people came all to the church, which was founded in his name and consecrate on that one side of Ephesus, and from midnight forth he ceased not to preach to the people that they should establish them and be stedfast in the christian faith and obeissant to the commandments of God. And after this he said the mass, and houseled and communed the people: and after that the mass was finished he bade and did do make a pit or a sepulture tofore the altar; and after that he had taken his leave and commended the people to God, he descended down into the pit or sepulture tofore the altar, and held up his hands to heaven and said: Sweet Lord Jesu Christ, I yield me unto thy desire, and thank thee that thou hast vouchsafed to call me to thee, if it please thee, receive me for to be with my brethren, with whom thou hast summoned me, open to me the gate of the life permanable, and lead me to the feast of thy well and best dressed meats. Thou art Christ the son of the living God, which by the commandment of the father hast saved the world, to thee I render and yield grace and thankings, world without end, thou knowest well that I have desired thee with all my heart. After that he had made his prayer much amorously and piteously, anon came upon him great clearness and light, and so great brightness that none might see him, and when this light and brightness was gone and departed, there was nothing found in the pit or grave but manna, which came springing from under upward, like as sand in a fountain or springing well, where much people have been delivered of many diseases and sicknesses by the merits and prayers of this glorious saint. Some say and affirm that he died without pain of death, and that he was in that clearness borne into heaven body and soul, whereof God knoweth the certainty. And we, that be yet here beneath in this misery, ought to pray devoutly to him that he would impetre and get to us the grace of our Lord which is blessed in secula seculorum. Amen.

and search for the Golden Legends under ETexts.

Ah! what a nice sort of clergy we shall soon be having (speaking sacrastically) And what is really strange, and characteristic of our times, is that a movement towards mysticism is apparent among the laity, while a precisely contrary movement is observable among the priests; on the same road, we are advancing, and they are marching backward; laity and priests have exchanged their functions. Soon the pastor and his flocks will cease entirely to understand each other."  ~L'Oblat by Joris Karl Huysmans 1903

mortaliumanimos

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 12:52:pm »

If this is all true, then what would be so special about the dogma of the Assumption of Mary which was solemnly defined in 1950?

Wouldn't it diminish the significance of this dogma which we know has always been a part of the deposit of faith?

Mark

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 02:36:pm »
Quote from: dominic1015
I know how that sounds, as I was unfamilar with this Tradition until a few years ago. I know that the work of Jacobus may be somewhat embellished in some areas; but the Revelations of Gertrude also make this assertion about St. John.
We know from the Old Testament that Elisah was taken up to Heaven body and soul; or the Bossom of Abraham since heaven was not yet open. At some point after the Resurrection; this had to have been made true with him also, since scripture claims that he was taken both 'body and soul'.
Some traditions assert that St. Joseph was taken in this manner too. I have a small list of other saints indicated below of which the same claim is made.

Those Saints who are said to be in Heaven Both body and soul

John the Evangelist, Saint Joseph, Saint Adam, Saint Eve, Saint Abel, Saint Abraham, Saint Isaac, Saint Melchisedech, Saint David, Saint Job, Saint Jonas, Saint Moses, Saint Josue, Saint Samuel, Saint Isaias - Source The Communion of Saints, Sanctity through the Centuries - Published by the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary 1972

TThere is also the opinion of many theologians from the eraliest times in the Church, that St. Dismas - the Good Thief, may have also been asummed both body and soul into Heaven.

Mark

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 02:38:pm »
Quote from: mortaliumanimos

If this is all true, then what would be so special about the dogma of the Assumption of Mary which was solemnly defined in 1950?

Wouldn't it diminish the significance of this dogma which we know has always been a part of the deposit of faith?

To give absolute certainty to that doctrine, and also, perhaps, because the belief was being challenged that it was defined into Dogma.

dominic1015

• Dominique-
    a-nique-
    a-nique
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 02:59:pm »

This also brings up Golgotha; the place of the skull.  I’ve attempted to research the origins of this tradition, and the only scriptural traces that I could find were in a Pseudepigrapha (non canonical) work called the “Adam and Eve Cycle’.  It lays claim that before the great flood, Noah took the remains of Adam and some of the great prophets aboard the Ark, and that after the waters were diminished, deposited them in an enclosed area called the “cave of treasures”.  It couldn’t have been possible for the Jews to claim Golgotha as the resting place of Adam unless this was so, because the earth was completely cleansed by the deluge. 

But since it isn’t related in the bible, it’s only possible to rely on either historical sources or lives/writings of the saints.  I haven’t yet looked into the Revelations of Anne Catherine Emmerich; it’s quite possible that some light could be shed on this from her works, certainly for the case of St. John anyway.

Another observation:

Modern Jews hold that the Tomb of the prophets; the Cave of Machpelah (Tomb of the Patriarchs) is in Hebron; just south of Jerusalem, and that the remains of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Rebecca, and Leah are there.  This either ‘A’ indicates a fabrication about the Patriarchs in Catholic claims, or ‘B’ the Jews fabricated the Tomb because Golgotha was empty after Christ rose from the dead.  I certainly think the Jews capable of it; after all the council of Jamnia in the 1st century took out the Deuterocanonicals because they were being used to support our Lord as being the one true God.   I know they were part of the Greek Septuagint for some time before that.