Choose style:

Author Topic: They laugh at us for venerating relics, but check this out...  (Read 2895 times)

michaeorapronobis

Lots of people laugh at Catholics for venerating saints' relics, seeing it as a superstitious practice or just plain idiocy. Yet many of the same people are engaged in similar things in venerating celebrities, sports heroes, etc. Why do they try so hard to get items owned by them, or associated with them, but laugh at us when we talk about relics?

Check this out:
 In New Zealand (where I'm from) a rugby player, Chris Masoe punched another man in a bar after the final of the Super 14 (rugby tournament involving teams from NZ, Australia and South Africa). Tana Umanga, a member of the All Blacks, the NZ national rugby team, grabbed a woman's handbag and whacked Boscoe to stop him. In the process, Umanga damaged the woman's cellphone, and had to pay for it.
 However, the bar owner put the handbag and damaged cellphone on TradeMe (the New Zealand version of eBay), and it sold for $22,800!

$22,800 just for a handbag! People will pay such an absurd sum of money for a handbag that a rugby player hit another rugby player with, yet they laugh at Catholics venerating a piece of the Cross, or the bones of St. Thérèse de Lisieux,  or other relics from saints! Doesn't that just seem ridiculous?!

If you want to see the actual auction, visit http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Sports-memorabilia/Rugby/Other/auction-58555525.htm

Traditio_in_Radice

One need not go even so far as this extreme example. Just look at how popular "game worn" jersies are, or even a signiature from a professional athlete.

Nature abhors a vacuum ... when people have the veneration of the saints taken away from them, they will find something else to venerate.

CampeadorShin

Well, remember, they think we do it to make money.  Even though we see churches closing left and right, they still insist that we are SOOO wealthy.
SINCE OCTOBER 26TH, I HAVE NOT BEEN ALLOWED TO POST OR SEND PM'S.  I CAN RECIEVE PM'S BUT CAN'T REPLY.

WHY?  NO ONE HAS TOLD ME.

francis

• Poster Formerly
    Known as %
I just knew this was going to be about Tana's handbag, when I saw the title of the thread.  :laughing: We Kiwis have already seen a 1000 articles on the subject. And to think the I]NZ Listener [/I] was so snooty about the bringing of St Therese's relics to NZ...

Still rugby is our established religion, and the All Blacks are its gods. No-one ever questions an all-male AB team, because everyone takes Rugby seriously. Everyone questions an all-male priest-hood, because no-one these days takes the priesthood seriously.

michaeorapronobis

They laugh at us for venerating relics, but check this out...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 02:20:am »
Quote from: francis
Still rugby is our established religion, and the All Blacks are its gods. No-one ever questions an all-male AB team, because everyone takes Rugby seriously. Everyone questions an all-male priest-hood, because no-one these days takes the priesthood seriously.

You are quite right there - rugby is almost like a religion here. If you went downtown and asked people what they would rather do on a Sunday, watch a rugby match or attend church, most of them would say 'watch a rugby match'. We see rugby players and matches in the news all the time, but the Church is hardly ever in the news and when it is it's often critical. Sports players are elevated to the status of saints in our community.

Last year, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, Helen Clark, was caught speeding at 172 km/h (around 105 mph) so that she could reach Christchurch Airport and fly to Wellington to see a rugby match. The population were suprised at this event, especially since she said she was in the back seat working and didn't realise how fast she was going. Since it was a rugby match she was going to, everyone thought it was ok. But what if she had been speeding to fly to Wellington to assist at a Mass? People would be saying that she shouldn't have been speeding to attend a superstitious, outdated religious service. The majority of NZ would have scoffed at her.

This is absurd. What seems to be better for people? Church, which brings people together, gives them spiritual comfort, and provides people with friends and people who will help them when they are in need, or thirty grown men throwing, kicking and chasing an oddly-shaped ball around a field while people drink alcohol and yell at the top of their voices?