Choose style:

Author Topic: Apparitions of San Damiano  (Read 5013 times)

Kephapaulos

Apparitions of San Damiano
« on: June 10, 2006, 01:26:am »

Does anyone know how authentic the apparitions of the Blessed Mother to Mamma Rosa Quattrini in San Damiano are? I read some of an article by Fr. Coomaraswamy about this, and it said that she said that Blessed Mother told her things like that our Lord is suffering more now, when He already did suffer the most at Calvary as Fr. Coomaraswamy points out.

Also, the article said something about this supposed apparition used to make traditionalists "obedient" to the modernist regime. I heard that St. Pio also would sometimes tell people to go see Mamma Rosa. Of course, was he aware of the authenticity of her apparitions?

Here is the link to the article by Fr. Coomaraswamy:

http://www.wandea.org.pl/virgin-mary.htm

You can also go to this link to find out about the supposed apparition. Just scroll down to the section about the subject titled San Damiano on the webpage.:

http://www.udayton.edu/mary/buby/mfl1.htm

(The section about San Damiano in the article from the second link I gave mentions something about Mamma Rosa not accepting the presence of Archbishop Lefebvre after he had been suspended the first time I think. She accepted him though before when he was still "in good standing." This I suppose maybe suggests again how the supposed apparition was used to make traditionalists still "obedient.")

So what do you all think?

EDIT: I ask about this because this past Sunday blessed grapes were given out that supposedly come from this apparition and supposedly should help you in fasting for only once or twice a week and for survival when the time of famine and war will come for us in the near future perhaps. I do not know whether I should keep the grapes and preserve them or what.

LEX SUPREMA SALUS ANIMARUM EST.

REQUIESCANT IN PACE ANIMAE IUSTORUM.

HMiS

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 05:28:am »

A Flemish, Dutch-speaking professor of chemistry, Dr. Mark Waterinckx from Bruges, Belgium, who was formerly himself involved in promoting both Medjugorje and San Damiano, has presented proof, that both apparitions, even though separate, are not authentic and either the product of grotesque forgery (Medjugorje) or of human imagination (San Damiano).

I don't know much about Mama Rosa, the San Damiano supposed, seer, though. She seemed pious and wore a thick veil at all Masses though, at the photographs I have seen so far.

But no, it is not authentic.

Please note, that e.g. the Society of Saint Pius X, except in case of the approved Fatima, Lourdes, Knock, Banneux and La Salette apparitions, is very critical about "apparitions" and mystical claims. Abp. Lefebvre more than once warned his faithful about all these supposed messages. He thereby clearly expressed the counsel St. John of the Cross, himself a mystic, gave to the Church. Shun all such mystical claims, presume they are not authentic until proof. (One exception in the SSPX is His Excellency Bishop Richard Williamson, who firmly believes in the authenticity of the Garabandal apparitions and prophecies.) 

A wise position.

We have seen so many tragical incidents with fraudulent apparitions and claims to be the "sole true remnant of the Church' and the "divinely willed reform movement". All pious people, but still in grave error. Look at the claims by Sr. Feliksa Koz³owska who claimed she was an elect, received direct messages from Our Lady and was supposed to found a true reform movement of priests etc. When her apparitions and the suggested religious congregation were finally rejected by Pope St. Pius X in 1906, even though the saintly Pontiff had been quite positive towards the piety of the priests and the seer/messenger, they founded their own Old Catholic schismatical ecclesial body (see Mariavite Old Catholic Church). There is the supposed mystical La Salette "pope" sect of Fr. Michel Colin OCJ, who declared himself pope, a mystically "consecrated" "bishop" and "leader of the true church" (which nevertheless ordains women, but is a cult in isolation). There is the famous case of the Palmar de Troya apparitions to a couple of young children in the late 1960s, deemed authentic initially by many good Roman Catholics. When around 1974 a new seer of the group Clement Domínguez y Gomez wanted to found a religious congregation (Carmelite Order of the Holy Face) he quickly received support (already many scores of otherwise good, traditional, and pious elderly and younger Roman Catholic diocesan priests and monastic priests from religious Orders had joined him or supported them with sacramental service) and even found Abp. Ngo Dinh Thuc, who believed the apparitions, to conduct at first priestly ordinations and finally five episcopal consecrations. Without an apostolic Mandate of course, for Paul VI ("The Martyr Pope") was supposedly held imprisoned by cardinals in the Vatican. But after 1976 Dominguez increasingly made "prophecies" that he would succeed Paul VI. Thuc cut off all contact with the Palmar de Troya group and was absolved by Paul VI himself. In 1978 Spanish Palmar de Troya became the "see" of the Palmarian "Catholic" and "Holy" Church of the End Times. They seemingly were "traditionalist", but they quickly reformed, engaged in homosexuality, ordained young boys, revised the liturgy of their Mass entirely and made all kinds of nonsense.

In the popular fraudulent apparitions' village of Medjugorje the local Franciscan priests supporting the supposed "seers" for more than 25 years, were so rebellious, that after the local diocesan Croatian bishop had rejected the apparitions, they invited a German (schismatic and liberal) Old Catholic bishop to perform Confirmations in their supposedly Roman Catholic parish. The "apparition" approved all of this. The pattern is very clear. Fraudulent apparitions > rebellious behaviour > illegal Holy Orders and sacraments > foundation of a schismatical and heretical ecclesial body supposed to be a or thé "true Church". Stay away from false apparitions. The Roman Church will approve if God wants it. And if not, even if they were authentic, nobody is bound to apparitions, nor is anyone obliged to accept them, and they do not form a necessary thing for eternal salvation.

We mayhowever trust in the authentic officially approved apparitions and we should of course venerate them, as they have received the constant approval of the Holy See, which is the norm for all things as to faith and discipline.

„Ja, Ja, wie Gott es will. Gott lohne es Euch. Gott schütze das liebe Vaterland. Für Ihn weiterarbeiten... oh, Du lieber Heiland!” ("Yes, Yes, as God wills it. May God repay it to you. May God protect the dear fatherland. Go on working for him... oh, you dear Savior!") - Clemens August Cardinal von Galen, his last words.

Kephapaulos

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 07:10:pm »

Why would St. Pio go and tell people to sometimes see Mamma Rosa Quattrini though if her apparitions were false?

What should I do with the blessed? grapes I have then?

spasiisochrani

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 08:28:pm »
Quote from: Kephapaulos

Why would St. Pio go and tell people to sometimes see Mamma Rosa Quattrini though if her apparitions were false?

What should I do with the blessed? grapes I have then?

Eat them?

DominusTecum

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 10:28:pm »

St. Pio may not have truly done this, or he could have piously trusted in them, as the seer herself seems to have been holy, even if she was merely imagining. St. Pio did not necessarily have Our Lord speaking through him at every moment, you know. He was a very holy man, but a man nonetheless, and was thus certainly not infallible. We should take what he said with a grain of salt, just as we should take Anne Catherine Emmerich's writings with a grain of salt, those of other saints, etc. Just because a saint said it does not automatically mean it is 100% true. Even if it was told to the saint by Jesus Christ, memories that are then written into book form might unwittingly be altered, through original sin and thus human memory, or Satan's interference, or what have you.

Kephapaulos

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 12:47:am »
Quote from: DominusTecum

St. Pio may not have truly done this, or he could have piously trusted in them, as the seer herself seems to have been holy, even if she was merely imagining. St. Pio did not necessarily have Our Lord speaking through him at every moment, you know. He was a very holy man, but a man nonetheless, and was thus certainly not infallible. We should take what he said with a grain of salt, just as we should take Anne Catherine Emmerich's writings with a grain of salt, those of other saints, etc. Just because a saint said it does not automatically mean it is 100% true. Even if it was told to the saint by Jesus Christ, memories that are then written into book form might unwittingly be altered, through original sin and thus human memory, or Satan's interference, or what have you.

It seems so then, Eric. I do not think St. Pio would try to contradict himself. Of course, then again, he might also not have said much of anything about Vatican II and its effects maybe because it was indeed time for him to go soon not long after the Council and God was going to place others in the future to fight for Him like Archbishop Lefebvre and the SSPX.

Matthew

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 02:17:pm »

How do we reconcile 'Jesus suffering' while in Heaven?  The First Friday and Saturday devotions are themselves predicated upon the mysterious idea of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts suffering at countless sins and offenses.  Yet we know that God cannot suffer, nor do the comprehensors in Heaven.  What is the mysterious nexus that connects the two ideas?