Choose style:

Author Topic: Planting St. Benedict's Medals?  (Read 1999 times)

nicollette

• Herbarious Wantabeus
  • Herb Nerd Extraordinaire
Planting St. Benedict's Medals?
« on: August 02, 2006, 02:16:pm »

I have a friend who is buying a house and one of the first things he would like to do is plant St. Benedict's medals at all four corners.  Has anyone heard of this?  What is the purpose and are there any prayers to accompany this? 

What are some other traditions that catholics practice that may be similar?  Ie. having a crucifix over doorways and St. Benedict medals over windows, etc? 

Thanks!

nicollette

The soul is a breath of living spirit, that with excellent sensitivity, permeates the entire body to give it life. Just so, the breath of the air makes the earth fruitful. Thus the air is the soul of the earth, moistening it, greening it.

~ St. Hildegard Von Bingen

Dilexisti

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:40:pm »
Quote from: nicollette

I have a friend who is buying  a house and one of the first things he would like to do is plant St.  Benedict's medals at all four corners. Has anyone heard of this? What  is the purpose and are there any prayers to accompany this?

What  are some other traditions that catholics practice that may be similar?  Ie. having a crucifix over doorways and St. Benedict medals over  windows, etc?

Thanks!

nicollette

I don't know about "planting" the St. Benedict medal . The only  tradition that I know is putting a St. Benedict medal on the four  corners of the house (structural foundation, not underground) and on  every entrance (doorway, patio) into the house. The St. Benedict medal  is very powerful and, besides, it is intself an exorcism -- it wards  off any and all evils that may invade your property.

Mariafrombrazil

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 07:45:pm »
We have our own family tradition of putting a St. Benedict's medal in our car. But I never heard of the 4 corners of the house thing.

Spooky7272

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 08:30:pm »

I got this from Our Lady of the Rosary Library

THE USE OF THE MEDAL

It may be worn about the neck, attached to the scapular or the rosary, or otherwise carried devoutly about one's person. For the sick it can be placed on wounds, dipped in medicine or in water which is given to them to drink.  

The Medal is frequently put into the foundation of houses or in walls, hung over doors, or fastened on stables and barns to call down God's protection and blessing. It is also buried in fields, as the saintly Father Paul of Moll advised his friends to do.  

No particular prayers are prescribed, for the very wearing and use of the Medal is considered a silent prayer to God to grant us, through the merits of St. Benedict, the favors we request. However, for obtaining extraordinary favors, it is highly recommended to perform special devotions in honor of the holy Father St. Benedict, for instance, on Tuesday, on which day the Church commemorates the death of the holy Patriarch. The Way of the Cross is also highly recommended or a novena to St. Benedict. His feast is celebrated March 21st, two days after the feast of St. Joseph.

Avalonik

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 08:41:pm »
But I'm pretty much positive they have to have an excorcism blessing particular to the St. Benedict medal, which I understand is rather lengthy and elaborate. So, warn your priest beforehand!  It's work.  
"I believe in the Ideal, in Tradition, in Hierarchy." - Josephin Peladan

RabidWolverine

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 11:05:pm »

I went to a modern Benedictine monastery years ago to get an exorcism blessing on one of my medals and they had no clue what to do, nor IMHO had they even heard of it.  I went to the traditional OSB monastery in OK (Clear Creek) and they did it on the spot in thirty seconds.  You may want to read a book published by TAN called "Father Paul of Moll" OSB.  Father Paul was the Padre Pio of his time.  A great read