Choose style:

Author Topic: Sinful Thoughts, but not about sex  (Read 6790 times)

miss_fluffy

Sinful Thoughts, but not about sex
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 09:14:pm »
Quote from: Spooky7272

My  main question was the thoughts of eating. Is daydreaming about gluttony  a sin the way impure thoughts are sinful? If it is a sin, would it be a  mortal one?

According to my moral theology book by Heirbert Jone, overeating is  never a mortal sin, only venial.  And if done at a celebration, it  is not even venial.  Given that, I don't think there's any way  that obsessing about food is a mortal sin.  But you might want to  pray for help if the thoughts are overwhelming, or part of an addictive  behavior.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.– Buddha

Note: According to this precept, I find that Buddhism is NOT true.  I have tested and judged many things, and the only Truth I have found is in God's One True Church: The Catholic Church.

Dear Lord, I know I can live by Your Holy Will every moment of my life, because You have given me faith that Your Grace will enable me to.

maryetal

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 09:21:pm »

It can't be a mortal sin, I don't think.  A mortal sin cuts us off from God.  However the olden time saints were abstemious due to their desire to have no attachment outside of God, I think.  I see no one has identified the quote I put in above. 

Spooky7272

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 11:29:pm »

Quote from: Flooferoos
According to my moral theology book by Heirbert Jone, overeating is never a mortal sin, only venial.  And if done at a celebration, it is not even venial.  

Really? Wow, that's interesting! I'm going to have to get this book! :) Does he elaborate on the sin of gluttony at all?

maryetal

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 11:35:pm »

That quote is from the funny Mike Myers in "So I Married An Ax Murderer" in which his father explained that KFC had addictive chicken.

QuisUtDeus

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 11:56:pm »

That moral theology book sounds kind of odd...

CE entry on Gluttony

Gluttony is in general a venial sin in so far forth as it is an undue indulgence in a thing which is in itself neither good nor bad. Of course it is obvious that a different estimate would have to be given of one so wedded to the pleasures of the table as to absolutely and without qualification live merely to eat and drink, so minded as to be of the number of those, described by the Apostle St. Paul, "whose god is their belly" (Phil., iii, 19). Such a one would be guilty of mortal sin. Likewise a person who, by excesses in eating and drinking, would have greatly impaired his health, or unfitted himself for duties for the performance of which he has a grave obligation, would be justly chargeable with mortal sin.

I remember one Saint, I think it was St. Anthony of Padua, that used to drive his mother nuts.  She would say, "What would you like to eat?", and he would always respond, "Whatever it pleases you to serve me."

Now, I am "gravitationally challenged"  somewhat, so I would like to point out that not every fat person is in a state of mortal sin by being fat.  Many of us have office jobs (another sign of a decadent society), so even if we eat normal portions, we will be a bit hefty (though my doctor yells at me to exercise and lose weight, and I promptly ignore him and light up another cigarette).

Also, there's the parent curse.  Your kid doesn't finish his or her plate, and we can't let food go to waste, can we?  *sigh*

QuisUtDeus

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 11:58:pm »
Quote from: maryetal

That quote is from the funny Mike Myers in "So I Married An Ax Murderer" in which his father explained that KFC had addictive chicken.

Ah, I thought it was a maryetal original.  I haven't seen that movie, so I thought it was just you being humorous.

I think there's a secret lab somewhere where they make a secret sauce that's in all the tasty things like KFC, McDonald's, pork rinds, and especially White Castle.

It's the only plausible explanation.

maryetal

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 12:54:am »

White castle? 

QuisUtDeus

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 01:10:am »

White castle? 

It's a chain of burger restaurants, mainly in the Midwestern U.S.  Put it this way, they're called "sliders" because they slide out as fast as they slide in.  The burgers are steam cooked rather than fried so all the fat stays in.  They're small, square burgers loaded with onions.

Mmm.  Greasy goodness.

They also have a "Seafood Sandwich".  Notice it isn't called a "Fish Sandwich" because that would be false advertising...

maryetal

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 01:18:am »

I see.  I haven't run across that chain.  Have you ever looked into the flavorings used in our food?  It's really quite interesting.  Or you might have another word for it.  Try this:

http://www.rense.com/general7/whyy.htm

JLeigh

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 01:48:am »
Quote from: QuisUtDeus

White castle? 

It's a chain of burger restaurants, mainly in the Midwestern U.S.  Put it this way, they're called "sliders" because they slide out as fast as they slide in.  The burgers are steam cooked rather than fried so all the fat stays in.  They're small, square burgers loaded with onions.

Mmm.  Greasy goodness.

They also have a "Seafood Sandwich".  Notice it isn't called a "Fish Sandwich" because that would be false advertising...

Oh man...White Castle burgers......why did that have to come up?? Now I am going to be sitting here for the next 2 hours wondering how to get my hands on some LOL. *Frantically Googles for closest White Castle*