Choose style:

Author Topic: THE EUCHARISTIC LITURGY OF TAIZE [IN 1959]  (Read 2463 times)

littlepaddle

THE EUCHARISTIC LITURGY OF TAIZE [IN 1959]
« on: September 29, 2006, 10:43:am »

Keep in mind this pre-dates vat2 and the new mass!

Sundays and Festivals

Key:

P:          Prior (or his deputy)

C:         Celebrant

D:          Deacon

SD:         Sub-deacon

L:            lector

Ca:         Cantor

W:          The whole community

V and R: Two parts of the community alternating

Introit

(Introit of the day, psalm, and antiphon)

Invocation

C: In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy

Ghost.  Amen.

Our help is in the Name of the Lord.

W: Who hath made heaven and earth. ..160 [160 On the First Sunday in Advent and the First

Sunday in Lent the Ten Commandments (Exod. 20: 1-17 may be recited here.]

Confession

C: I confess to God Almighty, in the communion of saints of heaven and earth, and to you my

Brethren that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed:  through my fault, my own

fault, my own great fault; wherefore I beseech you, my brethren, in the communion of the saints

of heaven and of earth, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

W: May the Almighty God have mercy upon thee, forgive thee thy sins, and bring thee to everlasting

life.

C: Amen.

W: I confess…..

C:  May the Almighty God have mercy upon you, forgive you your sins, and bring you to everlasting life.

W: Amen.

Kyrie

W: Lord, have mercy

Christ, have mercy

Lord, have mercy

Absolution

C: May each one of you acknowledge himself to be indeed a sinner, humbling himself before God,

And believe that it is the Father’s will to have mercy upon him in Jesus Christ:  to all who thus

Repent and seek Jesus for their salvation, I declare the absolution of their sin

+ in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.

(The Gloria is then sung)…161[161 Except in Advent and Lent when the Collect follows immediately].

(on certain solemn festivals, as during the seasons of Christmas and Easter, the Liturgy may be as follows)

Introit

Invocation

C: Blessed be the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, now and for evermore, world

without end.

Litany of the Kyrie

(Before saying…”let us pray to the Lord,” the deacon may add particular intentions).

D: In peace that is from above and for the salvation of our lives,  let us pray to the Lord,

W: Kyrie eleison (Lord, have mercy)

D: For the peace of the whole world, the life of the Churches and their unity,  let us pray to the Lord,

D: That we may celebrate the liturgy in the house of God with faith fervor and obedience,

Let us pray to the Lord,

D: For the ministers of the Church and the whole company of faithful people,  let us pray to the Lord,

W: Christe eleison (Christ, have mercy)

D: For the governments of the nations, that they may ever be mindful of social justice and of the unity

of mankind,     let us pray to the Lord,

W: Christe elision (Christ, have mercy)

D: For our community, our village (city), and our country, that faith may be renewed, let us pray to the Lord

W: Christe elision (Christ, have mercy)

D:  For fair weather, abundant harvests and peaceful times,  let us pray to the Lord

D: For all who travel and are in danger, the sick, the afflicted, the prisoners, and that they all may be

delivered     let us pray to the Lord

W: Kyrie elision (Lord, have mercy)

D: That we may be freed from all tribulation, danger and necessity,  let us pray to the Lord

(The Gloria is then sung)

(Or the invocation, confession and absolution could be said at the entrance to the church; and the Introit

sung in procession to the choir; followed by the litany and Gloria)

Gloria

(sung in chorus or antiphonally)

Glory to God in the highest heaven,

And on earth peace to men,

We praise Thee,

We bless Thee,

We worship Thee,

We give thanks to Thee for Thy great glory

O Lord God, Heavenly King, God the Father Almighty.

O Lord, the only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ,

O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father

Thou that takest away the sin of the world,

Have mercy on us;

Thou that sittest at the right hand of the Father,

Have mercy on us;

For thou only art holy,

Thou art the Lord,

Thou only, O Christ,

With the Holy Ghost, art most high in the glory of God the

Father!

Amen.

Collect

D: The Lord be with you

W: And with thy spirit.

D: Let us pray (silence, followed by the Collect of the day).

W: Amen

Old Testament Lesson

SD or L: Come, Holy Spirit of truth; lead us into all truth,

Old Testament Lesson from the book of…or the Prophecy of…

The reading of the day ending with “Thanks be to God”!)

Hymn of Meditation

(The Gradual of the day….162 [In Eastertide the first Alleluia] sung responsorially)

Ca: (antiphon)

W: (repetition of the antiphon)

Ca: (verse)

W: (repetition of the antiphon)

Epistle

SD: Lord, sanctify us in the truth:  Thy Word is truth…Epistle of St….to… or Lesson   

From the Acts of the Apostles or Lesson from Revelation

(The reading of the day ending with, “Glory be to Thee, O Lord”!)

Alleluia

(The Alleluia of the day is sung responsorially)

Ca: Alleluia

W: Alleluia

Ca: (verse)

W: Alleluia

(Or Tract of the day…163 [Septuagesima, Lent, and Passiontide] sung by the Cantor)

Gospel

D: Cleanse my heart and my lips, O God Almighty, who didst touch with burning coal the lips

Of the prophet Isaiah; in Thy gracious mercy sanctify me, that I may faithfully proclaim Thy

Holy Gospel, through Christ our Lord, Amen.  My brother give me the blessing of the Lord.

P: The Lord be in thy heart and on thy lips, that thou mayest joyfully proclaim His gospel.

D: Amen.

D: Let us hear the Wisdom of Christ!   The Gospel according to St….

(The reading of the day ending with “Praise be to Thee, O Christ!”)

Hymn after the Gospel   

Sermon   Silence    Hymn

Creed

The Apostle’s Creed or the Nicene Creed

C: Let us join together in brotherly love, and with one heart and mind confess the faith of the universal

Church.

W: I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and

invisible.  I believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, begotten of His Father before

all worlds: God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten not made, being of one sub-

stance with the Father, by whom all things were made.  Who for us men and for our salvation came down

from heaven; and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man; and was

crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered His passion and was placed in the tomb; the

third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into Heaven and sitteth on the right

hand of the Father; and He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, whose kingdom

shall have no end.  I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord the giver of life, who proceedeth from the Father

and the Son, who with the Father and son together is worshipped and glorified; who spake by the  Prophets.

I believe in one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.  I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins.

And I look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come.  Amen.

Intercession

C: Let us intercede before God.

D: Most merciful Father, we beseech Thee to accept our prayers and intercessions through Jesus Christ,

Thy Son, our Lord.

W: O Lord, hear our prayer.

Memorial of the Church

D: We offer first our prayers for Thy holy, universal Church; be pleased throughout the world to grant her

peace, to guard, unite and govern her; we pray Thee also for all who are set in authority over her…and

for all who, faithful to true doctrine, keep the Christian, apostolic faith.

Memorial of the Living

D: Remember, O Lord, Thy servants and Thy handmaidens, and all who are round about us, whose faith

Thou knowest, whose devotion Thou hast proved; this sacrifice of praise with them we offer unto Thee,

the eternal, living and true God, and we address to Thee our prayers for all men…for the redemption

of their lives, and for their hope of liberation and of peace.

Memorial of the Saints

D: United in one communion…

(Interpolation proper to certain festivals and their octave…)

littlepaddle

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 10:46:am »

KEEP IN MIND THIS pre-dates vat 2 and the new mass.

we commemorate before Thee the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of our God and Lord Jesus Christ,

moreover we commemorate Saint John the Baptist, the Forerunner, (and) Thy Blessed Apostles

and Martyrs Peter and Paul, Andrew, James, John, Thomas, James, Philip, Bartholomew,

Matthew, Simon, and Jude, Stephen, Matthias, and Barnabas, and all the Saints; united with

their faith, their lives and their prayer, we beseech Thee to grant unto us at all times the help of

Thy strength and Thy protection.

Memorial of the Dead

D: We also commemorate, O Lord, Thy servants and Thy handmaidens, who have gone before us

With the sign of faith, and are at peace….To all who rest in Christ, Thou grantest, Lord, the

Place of refreshment, light and peace.

Memorial of Sinners

D: To us sinners also, Thy servants, who put our trust in Thine infinite mercy, grant a place in

the community of Thy holy Apostles and Martyrs and of all the Saints; into whose company admit

us, not by weighing our merit, but amply pardoning us.

Memorial of Unity

D: As the bread which shall be broken, was once scattered on the mountains, and being gathered

together became one, so gather Thy Church together, from the ends of the earth into Thy Kingdom.

W: O lord, hear our prayer.

Free Prayers

…through our High Priest, Jesus Christ.

Memorial of the Kingdom

D: Come, Holy Spirit of charity fill the hearts of Thy faithful people, and kindle in them the fire of Thy

love; come, Lord Jesus, come quickly.

W: Maranatha, the Lord cometh.

Christmas

… and celebrating (the most sacred night) the most sacred day, whereon the Blessed Virgin Mary brought

forth the Saviour of our world, we commemorate before Thee the Mother of our God and Lord Jesus

Christ; moreover we commemorate Saint John the Baptist, the Forerunner, and Thy blessed Apostles

and Martyrs…

Epiphany

and celebrating (the most sacred night) the most sacred day, whereon Thine only-begotten Son, who

shareth Thine eternity and glory  was visibly manifested with His body in the reality of our human flesh,

we commemorate before Thee…

Easter

and celebrating (the most sacred night) the most sacred day of the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ

in His human nature, we commemorate before Thee…

Ascension

and celebrating the most sacred day, whereon Thine only-begotten Son, our Lord, our corruptible nature

united to Himself, sat down at the right-hand of Thy Gloria, we commemorate before Thee….

Pentecost

and celebrating the most sacred day of Pentecost, whereon the Holy Spirit appeared to the Apostles

in countless tongues of fire, we commemorate before Thee…

OR, if it has not been said at the beginning:

Litany

D: In peace let us pray to the Lord…for peace that is from above and for the salvation of our lives…

Let us pray to the Lord.

W: O Lord, hear our prayers.

D: For the peace of the whole world, the life of the churches and their unity…let us pray to the Lord

W: O Lord, hear our prayers.

D: That we may celebrate the liturgy in the house of God with faith, fervor and obedience…let us

pray to the Lord.

D: For the ministers of the Church and the whole company of faithful people…let us pray to

the Lord.

D: For the governments of the nations, that they may ever be mindful of social justice and of

the unity of mankind…let us pray to the Lord.

D: For our community, our village (city) and our country, that the faith there be renewed…let us

pray to the Lord.

D: For fair weather, abundant harvests, and peaceful times…let us pray to the Lord.

D:  For all who travel and are in danger, the sick, the afflicted, the prisoners, and that all may be

delivered…let us pray to the Lord.

W: Lord, hear our prayers.

D:  That we may be freed from all tribulation, danger and necessity…let us pray to the Lord.

(free prayers)

…through our High Priest, Jesus Christ.

D: Come Holy Spirit of charity, fill the hearts of Thy faithful people, and kindle in them the fire of

Thy love; come Lord Jesus, come quickly.

W:  Maranatha, the Lord cometh.

OR, particularly when the litany has been said at the beginning:

Memento

D:  In peace let us pray to the Lord…Let us ask of the Lord peace in the Church, and for each

one of us the grace of a holy life;

D: Let us ask of the Lord brotherly love by the help of His Holy Spirit.

D:  Let us commit ourselves and each other to our God.

D: Let us commemorate before the Lord all who have left this world and have died in faith…

May God bestow on them the crown of life in the day of the resurrection and judge them

worthy with the righteous who have pleased Him to enter into the joy of their Master.

D:  Let us recall before the Lord all His servants and witnesses in times past, particularly

Abraham, the father of all believers, Moses, Samuel, and David, Elijah, Jeremiah and

all the prophets, John the Baptist, the Forerunner, Peter and Paul, John and James and

the other apostles, Stephen the first martyr, Mary the Mother of the Lord, and all the saints,

martyrs, and doctors of the Church, in every age and in every land.

D: May the Lord God, in His mercy give us with them hope in His salvation and the promise of eternal

life in His Kingdom.

W:  O Lord, hear our prayer.

(free prayers)

….through Jesus Christ, our High Priest.

W:  O Lord, hear our prayer.

D: Come, Holy Spirit of charity, fill the hearts of Thy faithful people, and kindle in them the fire of

Thy love; come Lord Jesus, come quickly.

W:  Maranatha, the Lord cometh.

Offertory hymn

(Offertory of the day; antiphon and verses of a psalm if there be one, sung as the Gradual)..164

[..164...During the hymn the bread and wine offerings are brought to the altar; or if the bread

and wine if already on the altar, are uncovered.]

Offertory Prayer

D: Let us pray (silence, followed by the offertory prayer of the day)

littlepaddle

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 10:47:am »

Eucharistic prayer

Dialogue

C: The Lord be with you.

W: And with thy spirit.

C: Lift up our hearts.

W: We lift them up unto the Lord.

C: Let us give thanks unto our Lord God.

W: It is meet and right so to do.

Preface

C: (Preface of the day, see pp 67-85)[ to much for me to copy here]

Sanctus

W: Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of hosts, Heaven and earth are full of Thy glory.  Hosanna

in the highest.  Blessed be He that cometh in the name of the Lord.  Hosanna in the

highest.

Epicleseis

OUR FATHER, GOD OF THE HOSTS OF HEAVEN FILL WITH THY GLORY THIS OUR SACRIFICE

OF PRAISE.  BLESS, PERFECT AND ACCEPT THIS OFFERING AS THE FIGURE OF THE ONE AND ONLY

SACRIFICE OF OUR LORD.  SEND THE HOLY SPIRIT UPON US AND OUR EUCHARIST:  CONSECRATE THIS

BREAD TO BE THE BODY OF CHRIST AND THE CUP TO BE THE BLOOD OF CHRIST; THAT THE CREATOR

SPIRIT MAY FULFIL THE WORD OF THY WELL-BELOVED SON. 

Institution

WHO, IN THE SAME NIGHT THAT HE WAS BETRAYED TOOK BREAD AND, WHEN HE HAD GIVEN THANKS,

BRAKE IT AND GAVE IT TO HIS DISCIPLES, SAYING: TAKE, EAT, THIS IS MY BODY WHICH IS GIVEN FOR

YOU; DO THIS AS THE MEMORIAL OF ME.  LIKEWISE, AFTER THE SUPPER HE TOOK THE CUP AND, WHEN

HE HAD GIVEN THANKS HE GAVE IT TO HIS DISCIPLES, SAYING:  DRINK YE ALL THIS, FOR THIS CUP IS

THE NEW COVENANT IN MY BLOOD WHICH IS SHED FOR YOU AND FOR MANY FOR THE REMISSION

OF SINS; WHENEVER YE DRINK IT, DO THIS AS THE MEMORIAL OF ME.  WHENEVER WE EAT THIS BREAD

AND DRINK THIS CUP, WE PROCLAIM THE LORD’S DEATH TILL HE COME.

Memorial

WHEREFORE, O LORD, WE MAKE BEFORE THEE THE MEMORIAL OF THE INCARNATION AND THE

PASSION OF THY SON, HIS RESURRECTION FROM HIS SOJOURN WITH THE DEAD, HIS ASCENSION

INTO GLORY IN THE HEAVENS, HIS PERPETUAL INTERCESSION FOR US; WE AWAIT AND PRAY FOR

HIS RETURN.  ALL THINGS COME OF THEE AND OUR ONLY OFFERING IS TO RECALL THY GIFTS AND

MARVELLOUS WORKS.MOREVER WE PRESENT TO THEE, O LORD OF GLORY AS OUR THANKSGIVING

AND INTERCESSION THE SIGN OF THE ETERNAL SACRIFICE OF CHRIST, UNIQUE AND PERFECT, LIVING AND HOLY THE BREAD OF LIFE WHICH COMETH DOWN FROM HEAVEN AND THE CUP OF THE FEAST

IN THY KINGDOM.  IN THY LOVE AND MERCY ACCEPT OUR PRAYERS IN CHRIST, AS THOU WAST PLEASED

TO ACCEPT THE GIFTS OF THY SERVANT ABEL THE RIGHTOUS, THE SACRIFICES OF OUR FATHER

ABRAHAM, AND OF MELCHIZDEK, THY HIGH PRIEST.

Invocation

ALMIGHTY GOD, WE BESEECH THEE THAT THIS PRAYER MAY BE BORNE BY THE HANDS OF THINE ANGEL TO THY ALTAR IN THY PRESENCE ON HIGH; AND WHEN WE RECEIVE, COMMUNICATING AT THIS TABLE,

THE BODY AND BLOOD OF THY SON, MAY WE BE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND ENDOWED WITH

GRACE AND HEAVENLY BLESSINGS, THROUGH CHRIST OUR SAVIOR.

Conclusion

BY WHO, O LORD, THOU EVER DOST CREATE, SANCTIFY, QUICKEN, BLESS AND GIVE US ALL THY

BENEFITS.  BY WHOM, AND WITH WHOM, AND IN WHOM, BE UNT THEE, O FATHER ALMIGHTY IN

THE UNITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, ALL HONOR AND GLORY, WORLD WITHOUT END

W:  Amen.

Lord’s Prayer

C: Enlightened by the Saviour’s precept, and taught by His commandment, we are bold to say:  Our

Father, which art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name, Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth as

it is in Heaven, Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive them that

trespass against us.  Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil,  For Thine is the Kingdom,

the power and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

Fraction

C: The bread which we break is the communion of the Body of Christ.  The cup of blessing for which

we give thanks is the communion of the Blood of Christ.  Since there is but one bread, we who are

many form one body, for we all share in this one bread.

Angus Dei

W: O Lamb of God, that takest away the sin of the world, have mercy upon us.

O Lamb of God, that takest away the sin of the world, have mercy upon us.

O Lamb of God, that takest away the sin of the world, grant us Thy Peace!

Kiss of Peace

C:  O Lord Jesus, who didst say to Thine apostles: Peace I leave you, My peace I give unto you,

Regard not my sins but the faith of Thy Church; according to Thy will, grant her peace, and gather

her to unity, for Thou livest and reignest world without end.  Amen.  Peace be with thee.

(The kiss of peace goes from the celebrant to the deacon, then to the sub-deacon and from him

to the community and to the congregation)

Communion hymn

(Communion hymn of the day:  antiphon and verses of a psalm, if there be one, sung as at the gradual)

Communion

W:  I will receive the Bread of Heaven and call upon the name of the Lord:  Lord, I am not worthy that

Thou shouldest come under my roof, but speak one word only and I shall be healed.  May the

Body of our Lord Jesus Christ preserve my life unto eternity!

(The celebrant communicates)

What reward shall I give unto the Lord for all the benefits he hath done unto me?  I will raise the cup of salvation

and call upon the name of the Lord.  I will cry out:  Praised be the Lord, and I shall be delivered from mine

enemies.  May the Blood of our lord Jesus Christ preserve my life unto eternity?

(The celebrant gives communion to the officiates, saying to the deacon: )

C: The Body of Christ

The Blood of Christ, the cup of Life.

(The deacon and the sub-deacon and other officiants, if there be any such, give communion to the

community and to the congregation; the deacon begins by saying):

D: Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

(At the end the celebrant says):

C: Depart in peace!

(Each goes back to his place, taking up the communion hymn, if there be one: the antiphon and other verses

of the psalm)

Prayer of Thanksgiving

D: Let us bless the Lord.

W: Thanks be to God.

C or P: May God Almighty, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, bless you.

Clarkthepapist

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:33:pm »
Looks like a more revernt Novus Ordo.

CounterRevolutionary

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 03:45:pm »
Quote from: Clarkthepapist

It doesnt look "more reverent" to me... what makes you think that? Maybe I missed something.
"For, if this expression (of universal bishop) is suffered to be allowably used, the honour of all patriarchs is denied: and while he that is called Universal perishes per chance in his error, no bishop will be found to have remained in a state of truth."
 -Pope St. Gregory the Great

"For no one of us has set himself up to be bishop of bishops, or attempted with tyrannical dread to force his colleagues to obedience to him, since every bishop has, for the license of liberty and power, his own will, and as he cannot be judged by another, so neither can he judge another."
-St. Cyprian of Carthage

"Well let us suppose that those bishops who decided the case at Rome were not good judges, there still remained a plenary Council of the universal Church, in which these judges themselves might be put on their defense; so that, if they were convicted of a mistake their decisions might be reversed." 
-St. Augustine

littlepaddle

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 05:20:pm »

It pre-dates both Vat2 and the new mass

littlepaddle

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 05:07:am »

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=3257

The Making of Taizé

by Lukas Vischer

Lukas Vischer is former director of the Faith and Order Commission of the World Council of Churches and professor of ecumenical theology at the University of Berne. He lives in Geneva. This article appeared in The Christian Century, September 20, 2005, pp. 8-9. Copyright by the Christian Century Foundation; used by permission. Current articles and subscriptions information can be found at www.christiancentury.org. This material was prepared for Religion Online by Ted and Winnie Brock.

Almost everyone engaged in the search for Christian unity has at some point received important impulses from the Taizé community. And whoever speaks of Taizé is bound to speak of Roger Schutz (1915-2005), whose intuitions and initiatives turned the community into a focus and center of the ecumenical movement.

The origins of Taizé lie in World War II. In the face of the horrors of war, confessional boundaries -- already undermined by earlier developments -- became more and more obsolete. Three years after the armistice, the World Council of Churches was founded in Amsterdam, and encounters and exchanges between Protestants and Catholics also became more and more frequent. The Taizé community built on this experience.

Schutz, the son of a pastor of the Swiss Reformed Church, studied theology in Lausanne and Strasbourg. In 1940 he moved to Taizé in French Burgundy and was soon joined by a group of companions. In 1949 they decided to engage in a radical commitment and to found a monastic community. (A similar initiative had been taken even earlier by a group of Reformed women who had started a community in Grandchamp near Neuchatel in Switzerland.) They renewed the tradition of the daily prayer hours. For their liturgical life they owe much to the liturgical renewal movement in the Reformed churches of French-speaking Switzerland.

During the first years of its existence the community was primarily sustained from the Reformed side. Soon, however, the Roman Catholic Church began to take interest in Taizé. At the end of the 1950s, when Pope John XXIII announced the Second Vatican Council, the community became a center of the forces promoting the ecumenical opening of the Roman Catholic Church.

My first visit to Taizé fell in this period. Prayers were still held in the old village church. There was an atmosphere of freshness and expectation. The spirituality of the community was inspired by Frère Roger. The essential features of his spirituality are well expressed by the title of one of his numerous writings, Living Today for God (Vivre l’aujourd’hui de Dieu). For him the ecumenical movement was nothing other than letting God act here and now. Christ’s resurrection, the light in the intimacy of our hearts, is the center which joins us in one communion.

The community received an invitation to send observers to Vatican II. Frère Roger’s primary interest was the event of the council itself. He largely left the theological debates and disputes to Max Thurian, the subprior of the community, while he sought through personal contacts to win the council fathers to the cause of the ecumenical movement. Hundreds of bishops were received in the small Taizé apartment in Rome.

Perhaps precisely because his primary concern was not with the confessional differences, Frère Roger was open to other aspects of Christian witness. He was touched by the voice of the bishops, especially Dom Helder Câmara, who called on the council to show more solidarity with the poor. Already during the Vatican Council, Latin America was becoming a new emphasis of the Taizé community. Environmental issues, however, remained outside Frére Roger’s horizon.

In connection with Vatican II, Frére Roger issued an appeal to the youth of the churches. Was it possible, he wondered, to supplement the council with an ecumenical youth council?

The response went beyond all expectations. The appeal did not result in a formal youth council, but Taizé became the meeting point of thousands of young people, especially at Easter, with more and more young "pilgrims" participating in the prayers of the monastic community. To many, including my own children, these encounters were inspiring. Frére Roger and his community were able to create an atmosphere that combined simplicity, freedom and commitment.

Taizé has not lost its attraction. An important dimension of the community has been its artistic activities. Even in the first years of its existence it was known for its pottery and its stained glass. The melodies produced by Frère Jacques Berthier are sung not only at Taizé but all over the world.

The experience with young people led Taizé to organize youth gatherings in various countries. I was actively involved in one of these gatherings. In preparing for the 50th anniversary of the first World Conference on Faith and Order, I asked Frère Roger whether he would be willing to amplify the celebration with a youth gathering. In 1977, 3,000 young people participated in an unforgettable vigil in the cathedral of Lausanne.

Of special importance were the youth gatherings in Eastern Europe. I know of many for whom the link with Taizé helped to keep the flame of faith alive. Collaboration with Frère Roger was not always easy. He had developed his own theatrical style, and the way he staged his appearances in public was sometimes a little irritating.

The influence of this small group of monks has been and continues to be immense. In Taizé, young people experience Christian community across the boundaries of the confessions. But can the confessional differences be overcome by this temporary experience? The confessional structures, especially of the Roman Catholic Church, have turned out to be much more resistant than they appeared for a short while during the 1960s. The "free space" of Taizé could not be easily transplanted into the daily life of the churches.

A conversation with Frère Roger a few months before the opening of Vatican II is still alive in my memory. "Now," he said, "it is the calling of the Reformed church to contribute to the renewal of Catholicism."

I wondered: "Does the true challenge not rather consist in working together, Protestants and Catholics, toward a new form of catholicity?"

"Perhaps," he answered, "but the way to unity leads through the renewal of the Roman Catholic Church."

He consistently followed this road, and it was almost inevitable that from year to year and from decade to decade the community moved more in the universe of the Roman Catholic Church. The Reformed origins became gradually less evident, and the renewal of the Reformed tradition was no longer the purpose and theme of the community.

But, in fact, the Reformed background continued to be essential for the mission of the community. It was the freedom provided by the Reformed tradition that made it possible to build the "free space" in Burgundy. How quickly the initiative would have come to a standstill if the community had been subjected to the authority of the Roman Catholic Church! Without the basis of Reformed freedom, the vision of Frère Roger would not have been capable of going beyond mere intentions. The awareness of this gift should perhaps have led him to witness to the Reformed heritage and its fundamental convictions with a little more gratitude and care.

Viewed 592 times.

Clarkthepapist

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 01:32:pm »

Quote from: CounterRevolutionary

It doesnt look "more reverent" to me... what makes you think that? Maybe I missed something.

It has "for many" instead of "for all" use of and "with thy spirit" and other things. Over all the English NO looks like a more protestant liturgy then this ecumenical hogepoge that was constructed years ealier and I think that says something about the NO .

Picard

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 08:44:pm »

It has "for many" instead of "for all" use of and "with thy spirit" and other things. Over all the English NO looks like a more protestant liturgy then this ecumenical hogepoge that was constructed years ealier and I think that says something about the NO .

bah I find better language at an episcopalian church service than an english N.O. mass.

michaeorapronobis

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:05:am »

D: In peace that is from above and for the salvation of our lives,  let us pray to the Lord,

W: Kyrie eleison (Lord, have mercy

This is taken almost directly from the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, which the Orthodox use. Seems that Taizé have been looking around....