Choose style:

Author Topic: Church splits over alleulia/hallelujah  (Read 2728 times)

Spooky7272

Church splits over alleulia/hallelujah
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:23:pm »
I got this in an email, so I'm not sure if it's a joke or not, but funny!

Church splits over spelling of 'hallelujah'

GREELEY - A little Jewish praise word caused a lot of controversy as a Colorado church, divided over the proper spelling of 'hallelujah, ' split up and re-formed as separate congregations.
    The problem arose when the board of elders at Full Gospel Temple  budgeted money for a praise banner to hang from the sanctuary ceiling  bearing the word "hallelujah, " or "alleluia." One faction insisted the  word be spelled the first way, while the other wouldn't budge from the  second way. Petitions were drawn up, rallies held and late-night  threats received by both sides. One man, an "alleluia" supporter, was  nearly clobbered by a rock that came through his window. The rock bore  a note that said, simply, "hallelujah! "
        Both sides were adamant that since they had grown up with a particular spelling, theirs was correct.
    "It makes a tremendous difference, when you open your eyes and see it  there on the banner spelled wrong," said a hallelujah supporter. "It's  so jarring to see it without the 'h' at the beginning. Nobody spells it  that way anymore."
    "I was so sick about it I couldn't sleep," said Evelyn Haney, 57, an  equally ardent 'alleluia' supporter who carried a sign during a recent  day of picketing. "To think some people spell this wonderful word with  a 'j' in it. It's not something where I question their salvation, but  at times you have to wonder."
    The two churches now meet in separate school auditoriums, and each has  fashioned a banner to suit its own preference. Worship, says one  parishioner, is "much better now." .

All content © 2003 LarkNews.com, Joel Kilpatrick. All rights reserved.

Spooky7272

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 02:40:am »
My suspicions are confirmed... it is a joke!

InquisitorGeneralis

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 03:32:am »
Quote from: Spooky7272
My suspicions are confirmed... it is a joke!

The fact that it came from "LarkNews" should have helped.  Also, I've never heard a Prot say "alleluia," and this was clearly a Prot sect, so it couldn't have been true.