Choose style:

Author Topic: Our Lady in a blue jeweled robe?  (Read 4409 times)

miss_fluffy

• Domina Frivola
Our Lady in a blue jeweled robe?
« on: April 23, 2007, 02:36:pm »
I have a friend whose conversion I pray for daily.  She seems very open to the faith, and has a special interest in Our Lady.

This past weekend we spent some time at a beautiful old mission-style church near where we live.  Inside, they had a statue of Mary with long flowing hair and an ornate blue robe (kind of the same style as in the Infant of Prague). 

The plaque only said "The Blessed Virgin Mary", I was wondering if this is a rendition of a particular title for Our Lady?   Does anyone know of any stories or specific titles for this particular statue of Our Lady?

My friend was particularly moved by this statue, and I wanted to get any information I can on it to add to my prayers for her.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.– Buddha

Note: According to this precept, I find that Buddhism is NOT true.  I have tested and judged many things, and the only Truth I have found is in God's One True Church: The Catholic Church.

Dear Lord, I know I can live by Your Holy Will every moment of my life, because You have given me faith that Your Grace will enable me to.

Spooky7272

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:29:pm »
Hmmm... whenever I think of Our Lady wearing a blue robe, I think of this picture of Our Lady of Grace:

I will pray for your friend too!

Dilexisti

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:49:pm »

I wonder if She could also be called The Lady of the Apocalypse.  Apoc. 12:1 clearly describes this picture.

TradCathYouth

• The Sword That Smites Evil
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:28:am »
I just get a tad bit sad when I see a beautiful image and/or icon, and not know what it's called. In addition, I don't see duplicates anywhere. There is this icon at Our Lady of Fatima Chapel in Richmond, VA that is hanging on the wall near the confession line, beautiful but I don't know its name.

Dilexisti

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:21:am »
The picture depicted in Spooky's message is rightly called Our Lady of Grace, as she is the mediatrix of all graces.  All the graces we merit and earn are channeled through Her.

miss_fluffy

• Domina Frivola
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:42:am »
I found this picture, which resembles the style of the statue I'm talking about.

Except the one in the church, the robe is blue, her skin and hair are very dark, with long hair combed out and flowing in front of her shoulders, she is not carrying the child Jesus, and there are angels around her.
Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.– Buddha

Note: According to this precept, I find that Buddhism is NOT true.  I have tested and judged many things, and the only Truth I have found is in God's One True Church: The Catholic Church.

Dear Lord, I know I can live by Your Holy Will every moment of my life, because You have given me faith that Your Grace will enable me to.

Dilexisti

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 10:10:am »
Quote from: miss_fluffy
I found this picture, which resembles the style of the statue I'm talking about.

Except the one in the church, the robe is blue, her skin and hair are very dark, with long hair combed out and flowing in front of her shoulders, she is not carrying the child Jesus, and there are angels around her.

The statue is "Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Our Lady of the Pillar).  Feast is on October 12.  Is the statue you refer to shows Her atop of a column?  I have this statue in my daughter's room.  I haven't see a statue of Her in blue though.

Tradition says that in the early day of the Church, Saint James the Greater was spreading the Gospel in Spain, but making very little progress. He was dejected and questioning his mission. About 44 AD, the Virgin Mary, who was still living in Jerusalem at the time, bi-located and appeared to him in a vision to boost his morale. In it, she was atop a column or pillar, which was being carried by angels. That pillar is believed to be the same one venerated in Zaragoza, Spain today. Miraculous healings reported at the scene.

EDIT:  The same statue as posted by Matamoros (except the Virgin has the Child Jesus in her arm):
Patronage
diocese of Imus, Philippines; archdiocese of Zamboanga, Philippines; Zamboanga City, Philippines; Zaragoza, Spain

Matamoros

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 10:12:am »
Quote from: miss_fluffy

Is this the Virgin you are talking about?

Virgin of Antipolo
Ecce ego, quia vocasti me
- I Kings 3:5

miss_fluffy

• Domina Frivola
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:35:am »
Sigh... No the robe was all blue, with jewels on it, no gold at all.  But the style is the same.  Maybe I'll have better luck asking around at the Church where the statue is.

TradCathYouth

• The Sword That Smites Evil
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 05:07:pm »
My mom has a statue of the Virgen de Antipolo that we got from my aunt who died ten years ago.