Choose style:

Author Topic: To what are you currently listening?  (Read 338183 times)

LoneWolfRadTrad

• Sheepdog in wolf's clothing
  • Happy listening to blues, often thought to see red
Re: To what are you currently listening?
« Reply #4020 on: December 11, 2011, 01:32:pm »
Hipsters and their phones  :LOL:

[   . [/   .

I like how they point at their own phone and say it's classic and retro now.
When you go up to receive communion, you're literally at the foot of the cross.  Standing at all creation's center, the saints gather around.  Martyrs, heroes staring into your very being.  They lived AND died for Christ... can we say the same of ourselves?  What are WE doing to further God's will in this life?  Skipping Mass for our careers?  Our education?  Voting for heads of state, that don't recognize the source of all authority and power?  They won't matter on your deathbed (or whatever end we meet). 

So... why waste time with this modern world's nonsense?  We have our own civilization: CHRISTENDOM.  We must restore it whilst the modern world commits societal suicide. 

It's naive and idealistic to believe government for man by man can succeed.  Restore Christendom in our hearts and homes!  Communities aren't that far off, its a numbers game.

"Accursed is the man that puts his trust in man" Book of Jeremiah Chapter XVII, verse 5.

Titus Alba

• Night Owl
  • 2 Corinthians 7:6
« Reply #4021 on: December 11, 2011, 09:10:pm »
[   . [/   .
He flees from the light, in the sense that he does not look for the glory of human praise.

Titus Alba

• Night Owl
« Reply #4022 on: December 11, 2011, 11:40:pm »
Just found THIS while looking for something else.  So awesome.

[   . [/   .

Oh, this is what I was looking for, for Vlad.  It took me forever to find a recording I like.

[   . [/   .
He flees from the light, in the sense that he does not look for the glory of human praise.

Vlad Tepes

• Shark In This Small Tank
« Reply #4023 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:pm »
[   . [/   .
The bard in the building, it's a castle, I'm a boss, I bet I'm parliament, I'm positive I'm killing it, I'm iller than plague, never caught or cholera, balla balla, holla.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

"For every monarchy overthrown the sky becomes less brilliant, because it loses a star. A republic is ugliness set free."-Anatole France.

Pheo

« Reply #4024 on: December 11, 2011, 11:57:pm »
Just got back from a performance of Bach's Christmas Oratorio - I had never listened to it before.

Way cooler than lame stuff like Jingle Bells.

[   . [/   .
Forced to leave for refusing to lie - well played.

Titus Alba

• Night Owl
« Reply #4025 on: December 12, 2011, 01:00:am »
Wait, did you just compare Bach with jingle bells?  How dare you.

:P

Joamy

• Live Jesus and Mary!!
  • Let's make it 1959
    • Christus Lux Mea
« Reply #4026 on: December 12, 2011, 08:30:am »
Just got back from a performance of Bach's Christmas Oratorio - I had never listened to it before.

Way cooler than lame stuff like Jingle Bells.

[   . [/   .

[   . [/   .
Let's Make it 1959

newyorkcatholic

• terrena despicere
« Reply #4027 on: December 12, 2011, 10:52:am »
So what is a hipster, then?  We think we know, but apparently we don't agree.

My impression of a hipster: obsession with being authentic.  Though this is a pretty wide Western obsession, I suppose.

I think the need to avoid anything mainstream is rooted in the idea that mainstream is not authentic.  Ethnic restaurant popular with white people?  Can't go there anymore.  And so on.

I guess it's a reaction to the yuppie lifestyle, which is obsessed with the opposite (status, mainstream, popular).

A Catholic hipster wouldn't really be a hipster I suppose, if he sought what was good, true and beautiful, whether or not it was ironic, whether or not it was mainstream, and so on.

Just my amateur sociological $0.02.

Yeah, but most people see a scarf, a Radiohead t-shirt, moustaches, and/or empty PBR cans and think "definite hipster."  And all of those things are supposedly concrete markers of being a hipster, yet Catholics can like all of those things.  I do.

If my thesis is valid, then hipsters will abandon those things if they become popular and they will no longer be associated with hipsters.  There was a satiric article about this (in the Onion maybe, can't remember) about how the increasing popularity of the ironic skinny tie is leading hipsters to start wearing ironically wide ties. 

Regarding mustaches, I imagine, alone the same lines, that if the "creepy" vibe associated with them were to disappear, and all of the people who like them just grew them and they became as popular as they once were (or as they are in some other cultures), then the hipster personality would no longer be drawn to sport a mustache.  They might even be identified by their lack of facial hair.

For this theoretical hipster, what they do is a strong combination of personal taste as well as "not mainstream."

I think it's more complex than that.  Of course hipsters like things that aren't mainstream, but it's not just to be different.  It's because things that are mainstream are less eccentric and "hipsters" generally like things that are more eccentric.

Imagine a scene of 19th century painters.  They too would wear strange clothing and have strange tastes in music but it's not just to be different than all the people living on their street.  It's just because that's what they like and those who have the same interests usually gravitate towards each other.

I don't personally know any "hipsters" who like the things they like just to fit in with a certain group.  In fact, people tend to get into something which is "hipster" and then start to appreciate more and more of the subculture before they'd ever given a thought to impressing other "hipsters" or wanting to be one themselves.  I'm sure there are people out there who just do things to fit in with a certain group of people, but I'm sure that happens in the punk scene, the metal scene, the hip hop scene, etc. as well.

There is a certain element to not liking things that have gone mainstream, but it's not how people usually imagine it.  There are a lot of bands that are "hipster" that have crossed over, at least partially, into the mainstream and yet retain all "hipster" street cred.  Arcade Fire have won Grammys and yet they're beloved by the indie "community".  Moustaches have become kind of a popular thing in recent years.  They're popular with actors that aren't "hipster" and they're an internet meme, but they're still popular with "hipsters".  On the other hand, just because something is "hipster" doesn't mean all hipsters like it.  I'm Catholic and I have strong views on poetry and fiction.  Chuck Palahniuk, Chuck Klosterman, and Charles Bukowski are some of the favorite authors/poets of the indie world, but I don't read any of them because I either know that I don't like them or have guessed that I won't.  "Hipsters" have a loose set of shared interests, but it's not some canon of cool.  Most only share certain interests with the collective "hipster community".  And as far as I can tell, no one cares or thinks less of them.  People just like what they like and then there are secondary labels.

It's not so much about being different, but simply about the fact that this group of people, by virtue of having more eccentric tastes, happens to like things which just so happen to not be the mainstream in music, tv, books, etc.

Irony is a part of being a "hipster" but it's mostly as a way of satirizing popular culture.  A lot of people do that (writers on tv shows, other musicians, journalists, writers, poets, artists, etc.), but not all of them are "hipsters" and not all of them get crap for being ironic.  Which, to me, is sort of ironic.

Agree, it is more complex.  But what you are describing is really true of all groups.  We are human, and are complex, and these complexities need to be taken into account when trying to understand hipsters, or yuppies, or trad Catholics, or other self-described groups.

But what sets hipsters apart, what gives them an identity and a label?   I still think, all complexity and nuance being acknowledged, what makes the hipster subculture is being out-of-mainstream, unique, interesting, ironic.  So they tend to live in places that are eclectic, full of young people, not prime real estate, but "gentrifying."  The music they like is not mainstream pop, it's not snobbish classical, it's not harsh metal ... it's unique, interesting, off-the-beaten-path stuff.

Again, I agree it's complex.  There's probably lots of overlap in terms of what different groups like or identify with.
One human thought alone is worth more than the entire world, hence God alone is worthy of it. -- St. John of the Cross

Vlad Tepes

• Shark In This Small Tank
« Reply #4028 on: December 12, 2011, 01:25:pm »
[   . [/   .

[   . [/   .

[   . [/   .
The bard in the building, it's a castle, I'm a boss, I bet I'm parliament, I'm positive I'm killing it, I'm iller than plague, never caught or cholera, balla balla, holla.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

"For every monarchy overthrown the sky becomes less brilliant, because it loses a star. A republic is ugliness set free."-Anatole France.

LoneWolfRadTrad

• Sheepdog in wolf's clothing
  • Happy listening to blues, often thought to see red
When you go up to receive communion, you're literally at the foot of the cross.  Standing at all creation's center, the saints gather around.  Martyrs, heroes staring into your very being.  They lived AND died for Christ... can we say the same of ourselves?  What are WE doing to further God's will in this life?  Skipping Mass for our careers?  Our education?  Voting for heads of state, that don't recognize the source of all authority and power?  They won't matter on your deathbed (or whatever end we meet). 

So... why waste time with this modern world's nonsense?  We have our own civilization: CHRISTENDOM.  We must restore it whilst the modern world commits societal suicide. 

It's naive and idealistic to believe government for man by man can succeed.  Restore Christendom in our hearts and homes!  Communities aren't that far off, its a numbers game.

"Accursed is the man that puts his trust in man" Book of Jeremiah Chapter XVII, verse 5.