Choose style:

Author Topic: Maniple in the Novus Ordo?  (Read 2447 times)

Quaesumus

Maniple in the Novus Ordo?
« on: August 20, 2008, 01:00:pm »
Concerning the maniple in the Novus Ordo, I've been told it was abrogated by Paul the VI (...of happy memory...*cough*), and I've also read that it was made optional, like from reading Fr. Z's blog. What am I to believe?

I've seen them used at St. Agnes Parish, when I'm in the St. Paul, Minneapolis area once or twice a year...

"Fortunately, my theory has absolutely no predictions or empirical content, so nobody can prove me wrong. Ever."

Zyphane

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:25:pm »
As I understand it, the maniple was was made optional* during the sixties, and then never mentioned when the Novus Ordo missal was promulgated. There is no legal barrier to celebrating the new rite with a maniple, as far as I'm aware.

*Per the Second Instruction "For the Orderly Implementation of the Constitution of the Liturgy of the Second Vatican Council".

"And if I claim to be a wise man, well, it surely means that I don't know."

Quaesumus

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:pm »
Quote from: Tiny

No offense, but I think such discussions should remain on WDTPRS.

...I think it's a legitimate question. Does the Fr. Z reference bother people? Because I can say, "I've heard other people say that it's been made optional."

"Fortunately, my theory has absolutely no predictions or empirical content, so nobody can prove me wrong. Ever."

Archbishop_10K

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:37:pm »
My parish uses the maniple as well. It's "optional".

cunctas_haereses

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:56:pm »

I've never seen an NO presider wear a maniple since the NOM was installed.

Heaven is a REWARD, not a RIGHT.

Every truly pagan society has, at it's core, some form of human sacrifice. In today's world, it's abortion.

finegan

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 04:50:pm »
I can remember women wearing veils to Mass back in the mid to late '60s. They pretty much disappeared when the guitar-strumming, hallelujah crowd took over in the early 70s. You occasionally see women wearing them at a Novus Ordo Mass, but they're often very confused individuals. I remember one lady who showed up at Mass here in Phoenix wearing a veil and shorts! I almost swallowed my "missalette."
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - U.S. Senator Barry Goldwater, Arizona, 1964

"I would say that we have to choose between an appearance of obedience - for the Holy Father cannot ask us to abandon our faith - and the preservation of our faith. Well, we choose not to abandon our faith." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, Founder, Society of St. Pius X, 1978

gjwalberg

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 04:57:pm »

Quote from: finegan
I can remember women wearing veils to Mass back in the mid to late '60s. They pretty much disappeared when the guitar-strumming, hallelujah crowd took over in the early 70s. You occasionally see women wearing them at a Novus Ordo Mass, but they're often very confused individuals. I remember one lady who showed up at Mass here in Phoenix wearing a veil and shorts! I almost swallowed my "missalette."

The veiled women at my NO parish are not confused people at all!  But they are usually about 789345345 years old.

AndreasAngelopolitanus

• Lay Inquisitor General
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 05:04:pm »
Per the Novus Ordo... what isn't optional?!!   

Arreptisque Nadab et Abiu, filii Aaron, turibulis posuerunt ignem et incensum desuper, offerentes coram Domino ignem alienum quod eis praeceptum non erat.  Egressusque ignis a Domino devoravit eos et mortui sunt coram Domino.  Loose Translation:  Don't monkey around with the Mass.

Quote from: ggreg
Since Southern Californians are wacko anyway...

Mr. Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

Nemo ante mortem beatus dicendus.

SCG

• Gold Fish
  • Downton Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 05:07:pm »

Quote from: finegan
I can remember women wearing veils to Mass back in the mid to late '60s. They pretty much disappeared when the guitar-strumming, hallelujah crowd took over in the early 70s.

Yes, there were definitely hats, scarves and veils in the 60s, even the early 70s. In our diocese they faded out in the early to mid 70s, about the same time the Sisters who taught in our schools started modifying their habits.

Now what's a maniple? 

- Lisa
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien

finegan

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 05:10:pm »
"Now what's a maniple?"

I dunno. When I was a kid, I called them "doilies."

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - U.S. Senator Barry Goldwater, Arizona, 1964

"I would say that we have to choose between an appearance of obedience - for the Holy Father cannot ask us to abandon our faith - and the preservation of our faith. Well, we choose not to abandon our faith." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, Founder, Society of St. Pius X, 1978