Choose style:

Author Topic: Diocese of Scranton to Close Half Its Parishes  (Read 1302 times)

StevusMagnus

Diocese of Scranton to Close Half Its Parishes
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:59:pm »

Catholic Diocese announces parish closures
 Updated: 02/03/2009 06:15 AM
 By: Web Staff
 Link to Original

PENNSYLVANIA -- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Scranton is closing almost half of its churches, reducing the number of parishes from 209 to 118.

In a statement, Bishop Joseph Martino said the restructuring plan affects every single parish in the 11-county diocese in some way. The drastic cut is blamed on a declining priest population and fewer financial resources.

Parishes will follow one of three models. One is a partnership, where parishes retain their own pastors, but work in cooperation with neighboring groups. A second is linked parishes, where two or more use the same pastor. And the third is the consolidated parish, which will combine them into one.

An example is churches in Sayre, Bentley Creek, South Waverly and Athens will merge by July, forming a new church at the Epiphany site in Sayre. And in mid-year 2010, the Diocese will consolidate parishes in Friendsville, Little Meadows, St. Joseph and Montrose. These are just a few of the changes in the works for the Scranton Diocese.

To find out whether or not your town's church will be affected, visit dioceseofscranton.org.

SaintRafael

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:08:pm »
Terrible. The Church is really near death in America.

If the bishops want to save their diocese, they should start by making a couple of parishes into personal parishes for the TLM.

TLM only personal parishes will lead to a restoration in any diocese. One or two parishes are not going to cut it. A diocese will get healthy if 25% of ALL  the parishes in a diocese become TLM only parishes. 

LaRoza

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:55:pm »
This was announced after mass last week.

There is a good reason why they are being closed. The population of this area has drastically fell over time. It is not as big a crisis as it seems.

It is hard for those who attended those churches for so long of course, but keep in mind the TLM churches in the area are booming, and the bishop (Bishop Martino) is more orthodox and not afraid of critics, this diocese is doing quite well.

introibo

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:26:pm »

Quote from: LaRoza
This was announced after mass last week.

There is a good reason why they are being closed. The population of this area has drastically fell over time. It is not as big a crisis as it seems.

It is hard for those who attended those churches for so long of course, but keep in mind the TLM churches in the area are booming, and the bishop (Bishop Martino) is more orthodox and not afraid of critics, this diocese is doing quite well.

I was surprised to see that Nanticoke still has five parishes open!

LaRoza, do you know whatever happened to the parishes in Glen Lyon?  My parents ancestral parish was St. Adalbert's.  I know it and the two other parishes were being staffed by one priest in recent years.  Yet on the diocesan website, it says "Corpus Christi" in Glen Lyon.  What's that?

Christina

Behold the inheritance of the Lord are children; the reward, the fruit of the womb. As arrows in the hand of the mighty...(Psalm 126)

LaRoza

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:am »
Quote from: introibo
I was surprised to see that Nanticoke still has five parishes open!

LaRoza, do you know whatever happened to the parishes in Glen Lyon?  My parents ancestral parish was St. Adalbert's.  I know it and the two other parishes were being staffed by one priest in recent years.  Yet on the diocesan website, it says "Corpus Christi" in Glen Lyon.  What's that?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the situation. I only know that the FSSP runs a church and that is the one I wish to attend, but it is in west side, so I attend a NO church nearer to my house.

Scipio_a

• No, you're not a trad...you're a BITTER zealot.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:07:am »
I am always amused by Trad Caths who care what happens to New Order churches.  As I always question "They're not Catholic anyway, why should I care?"  The same applies to so called Catholic universities such as University of Dallas.  My wife attended years ago.  We still have aquantences and freinds who went and when they all get together they lament the destuction of that place (except my ife).  My response is "What did you expect, and who cares?"  They of course are all Newchurch goers so they are lamenting the liberalization of a decent conservative institution.  The problem is they have to accept the dirty bath water with the baby if they are going to fund Newchurch.

As I admitted this is not a particularly charitable stance.  I thought about this exact thing the other night when I wondered aloud to my wife, "Why does the SSPX waste its time trying to talk to Newchurch intead of letting it crumble while we grow and ultimately are the only Catholic world (Other Trads included FSSP to CMRI).  The answer lies in these 4 bishops' charity.  They wish to save these fools from themselve just as almost all of you probably have a relative you love very much who will not bend to any amount of reason or evidence where it concerns Newchurch vs Catholicism.

In a way it makes me feel like a political lib always wanting the US to lose so I can win the election, but that is not the case, I would rather they convert too, because the more that do the less likely are the coming persecutions that the media and Newchurchmen have been laying the intellectual framework for these past few days.

This post has been all over the place, just treat it as catharsis, and if there is a nugget you like good.  Sorry to ramble.
"Scipio Bull Biscuits, a flawlessly indoctrinated feminist male." - paraphrased from voxpop in one of his shining moments!!

"You've become a full adept to your kabbalistic philosemetism ...why not get it over with and fully convert to Judaism. At lest that would be respectable." - Popscile

"[Scipio's] high on mouth and low on brains"  - a brainiac

"...all I can guess is that maybe you're gay and haven't figured it out yet."   ???....LOL

"a malicious twerp" - A candylander

"I ain't no freakin' monument to justice!" -Moonstruck

"Check out the big brain on Brad" - Jules

Robb

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:09:am »
This is sad.  I'm guessing that a lot of ethnic parishes are also getting the hatchet?

Bob

LaRoza

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:38:pm »
Quote from: Robb
This is sad.  I'm guessing that a lot of ethnic parishes are also getting the hatchet?

Bob

No.