Choose style:

Author Topic: Raising a Catholic Family  (Read 7951 times)

Satori

Re: Raising a Catholic Family
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 07:53:pm »
How about that soda fountain?

I'd be happy to have their counter space.
"Skeptics will always prevail. God gives us just enough to seek Him, and never enough to fully find Him. To do more would inhibit our freedom, and our freedom is very dear to God." --Ron Hansen, "Mariette in Ecstasy"

ErinIsNice

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 10:04:am »
I just finished their book a few weeks ago, and I think it made me dislike them even more  :laughing:

Satori

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 01:08:pm »
I just finished their book a few weeks ago, and I think it made me dislike them even more  :laughing:

Why? What did you learn?
"Skeptics will always prevail. God gives us just enough to seek Him, and never enough to fully find Him. To do more would inhibit our freedom, and our freedom is very dear to God." --Ron Hansen, "Mariette in Ecstasy"

ErinIsNice

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 01:22:pm »

Why? What did you learn?

Well first off they believe that God loves them more than He loves other people, and that's why they have so many material blessings  :laughing:

Ma Duggar definitely hits the babies (she calls it "giving a correction". blech) when she blanket trains them.  They feed their kids things like tomato sauce spread on slices of white bread with a piece of cheese for dinner (few things irk me more than people who can't be bothered to feed their kids decently) and the distribution of chores in that house is ridiculously unfair.  And they have a code word the girls yell out when they see someone dressed "immodestly" in public.
I did learn that Ma Duggar doesn't purposefully wean the babies to get pregnant, but since she is very much into baby "training" there is no way she breastfeeds often enough to space out the babies.

I do love how organized they are, and I wish I was just half that organized.

The parts of the book where they answer common emails are pretty funny.  Apparently Michelle is often asked how she loses the baby weight and she uses Weight Watchers through her pregnancies.  Yikes.

Satori

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 01:32:pm »
What was the exact wording when they expressed the belief that God loves them better, etc.? They cannot have used those words!

I think I know what you mean, though, as I've had more run-ins than I want to with Protestants who believe in the "prosperity gospel" or whatever it's called.

What about this hitting babies? How old are we talking, how hard, for what reason, and using what kind of object? Because I have found no way to stop my toddler from doing certain potentially dangerous things besides lightly smacking her fingers (with my own hand, of course) -- this is after twice telling her sternly to stop, and she doesn't. I don't think it hurts her, and my intention is not to cause pain, but it does hurt her feelings. I don't like doing it, but it's got to be more pleasant than, say, having her fingers sliced open because she kept on rooting through the kitchen trash and encountered a can lid. If there are better ways to stop this sort of thing when you have a strong-willed toddler, I'd love to know it. (I'm glad she's strong-willed -- I want her to stay that way -- but I also want her to survive in one piece, no nasty cuts or infections, etc.!)

I hope Mrs. Duggar isn't one of those mothers who puts the baby on a strict feeding schedule. I do have a big problem with that.

Are you serious about the bread with tomato sauce and cheese -- for DINNER? Are we talking all the children? (Hey, there are times I'm just happy to get solid, non-sugary food into my child, so I wouldn't fault them if once in a while they gave something like that to the tinies. Once in a while.)

CanadianCatholic

• Kickin @$$ and takin names
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 03:07:pm »
I think blanket training is a bit much. Weight Watchers when your pregnant? Im bnot sure if your allowed to do it then. I do it while in breastfeeding, they have a special program for that.

Fontevrault

• Red Fish
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2009, 07:29:am »
Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong but isn't blanket training a bit like crate training for a dog?  It sounds weird.
My ipad keyboard hates me.  Please forgive the typos; they are unintentional.

http://americanbento-recipes.blogspot.com/

Magnificat

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 09:39:pm »
Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong but isn't blanket training a bit like crate training for a dog?  It sounds weird.

It's so weird that I don't even know how to begin to tell you how weird I think it is.

Satori

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 10:48:pm »

I've never seen it done and can't imagine doing it myself, but it has nothing to do with pooping, which is what crate training is about. Apparently the mother puts the baby on a blanket with some toys -- a crawling baby -- and hits around the edge of the blanket with a switch to let the child know what she'll get if she crawls off the blanket. Then, when she does crawl off -- which of course she will -- mother hits with the switch.  I believe some parents do this who are truly loving and probably good parents on the whole, but I don't care for smacking a baby that little and am concerned about discouraging the child from crawling around and exploring.

Magnificat

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 08:16:am »

I've never seen it done and can't imagine doing it myself, but it has nothing to do with pooping, which is what crate training is about. Apparently the mother puts the baby on a blanket with some toys -- a crawling baby -- and hits around the edge of the blanket with a switch to let the child know what she'll get if she crawls off the blanket. Then, when she does crawl off -- which of course she will -- mother hits with the switch.  I believe some parents do this who are truly loving and probably good parents on the whole, but I don't care for smacking a baby that little and am concerned about discouraging the child from crawling around and exploring.

I've always wondered why someone would take the time to do that?  In an adequately childproofed home there's no problem if a child explores.  If, for whatever reason, someone can't childproof there are these amazing inventions called playpens which are very light and portable.  I've known moms with 8-10 kids, and nobody does this.