Choose style:

Author Topic: Gen. Patton's granddaughter is a nun  (Read 6339 times)

Stefan

Gen. Patton's granddaughter is a nun
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:14:pm »
named Mother Margaret Georgina Patton, OSB. Dose anyone know anything of her? (I'm hoping she is not a member of one of those loony leftest religious orders)

In case anyone is wondering Gen. George Patton was of Southern background and was Episcopalian on the books but in real life believed in reincarnation.

"It is no fault of Christianity that a hypocrite falls into sin."
-St. Jerome

"I am the flail of God. Had you not created great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Dzsingisz kán

"Dla moich Polaków nie ma rzeczy niemożliwych" -"For my Poles, nothing is impossible"
-Napoleon Bonaparte (100,000 Polish warriors fought in the Napoleonic Wars for France, the French Grand Army was 550,000 strong)

Miquelot

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:52:pm »
There is a famous stained-glass memorial window  commemorating General Patton at the Church of Our Saviour Episcopal in San  Gabriel, CA:

The parish website says: "The main figure is  Saint George conquering the dragon. The scales of the dragon are the Nazi  swastika. The blanket on the horse has a pattern made up of the insignia of the  4th, 9th, 11th, 13th 14th, and 16th Armored Corps which were under the General's  command during his dramatic sweep across war-torn Europe. Saint George's shield  is emblazoned with the insignia of the Third Army General's command. In cloud  formations, below the figure of Saint George, appear what General Patton  considered to be the three main battles of World War II -- Metz, Coblentz and  Bastogne. The four important cities of Rennes, Frankfort, Weimar, and Regensburg  are shown being released from the stifling clutch of the Nazi dragon's  claw."

You can read more at:

Sorry that I cannot answer your query about the  general's granddaughter, Mother Margaret Georgina Patton.

Credo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:01:pm »

Quote from: Stefan
named Mother Margaret Georgina Patton, OSB. Dose anyone know anything of her? (I'm hoping she is not a member of one of those loony leftest religious orders)

She actually lives about 15 miles from where this post is being written. Small world, eh? By way of correction, Mother Margaret Patton is the granddaughter of the World War II general.

If I'm not mistaken the general attended her First Profession of Vows.

Her order is about as traditional as one gets. They chant the Office in Latin throughout the day, along with Mass. The live the authentic Benedictine life (which includes a healthy dose of farm work).

The Bethlehem Abbey of Regina Laudis are something of a local treasure. They often appear on local television. If you're ever up in Connecticut it's surely worth a visit, it's a beautiful, charming, holy place.

Here's their site: http://www.abbeyofreginalaudis.com/
I promise not to put anything here which might help us question our mind-forged manacles, inspire us, or help us in any way at all.

N.B.: I will not be posting on this site again until the Christmas octave. Have a good Advent.

Bonifacius

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:40:pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/30/us/gen-george-s-patton-80-dies-son-of-world-war-ii-commander.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/V/Vietnam%20War

Unfortunately, Credo, it appears that Mother Patton was born too late for her grandfather to see her profess her vows.  Mother Patton's father was still in West Point when her grandfather died in 1945.
Being partly of Norwegian extraction, I enjoy lutefisk.  Now there's some stinky fish.  Hence my high stink factor. 

http://www.cornellsociety.org

Credo

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 07:05:am »

Quote from: Bonifacius
Unfortunately, Credo, it appears that Mother Patton was born too late for her grandfather to see her profess her vows.  Mother Patton's father was still in West Point when her grandfather died in 1945.

I distinctly remember reading an article several years ago about General Patton - some General Patton - visiting some relatives profession or vows. The author was baffled that the general would have visited.

I promise not to put anything here which might help us question our mind-forged manacles, inspire us, or help us in any way at all.

N.B.: I will not be posting on this site again until the Christmas octave. Have a good Advent.

maso

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:am »
I like much this quote of Gen. Patton, which fits much the times being:

"IF EVERYBODY IS THINKING ALIKE, NOBODY IS THINKING"

TradCathYouth

• The Sword That Smites Evil
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 11:37:am »
May God continue to bless the vocation of Gen. Patton's granddaughter.

Stefan

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 11:43:am »
Quote from: Credo

Quote from: Bonifacius

I distinctly remember reading an article several years ago about General Patton - some General Patton - visiting some relatives profession or vows. The author was baffled that the general would have visited.

Credo and everyone, thanks for the info!

The General Patton that visited there was probably Mother Patton's dad. Maj Gen. George Patton IV, son of old blood and guts, was a Korean and Vietnam vet who died in 2003ish I believe.

Quote from: Maso
I like much this quote of Gen. Patton, which fits much the times being:

"IF EVERYBODY IS THINKING ALIKE, NOBODY IS THINKING"

yeah Gen. Patton and U.S. Marine Gen. Chesty Puller have the coolest quotes
"It is no fault of Christianity that a hypocrite falls into sin."
-St. Jerome

"I am the flail of God. Had you not created great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Dzsingisz kán

"Dla moich Polaków nie ma rzeczy niemożliwych" -"For my Poles, nothing is impossible"
-Napoleon Bonaparte (100,000 Polish warriors fought in the Napoleonic Wars for France, the French Grand Army was 550,000 strong)

Bonifacius

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:36:pm »
Credo,

The webpage I linked to explains all.  It is the obituary of Mother Patton's father, who was a general like his pa (as Stefan pointed out).  He died in 2004.
Being partly of Norwegian extraction, I enjoy lutefisk.  Now there's some stinky fish.  Hence my high stink factor. 

http://www.cornellsociety.org

rbjmartin

• Gold Fish
  • timorem domini docebo vos
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 04:32:pm »
Quote from: Credo

Quote from: Stefan

She actually lives about 15 miles from where this post is being written. Small world, eh? By way of correction, Mother Margaret Patton is the granddaughter of the World War II general.

If I'm not mistaken the general attended her First Profession of Vows.

Her order is about as traditional as one gets. They chant the Office in Latin throughout the day, along with Mass. The live the authentic Benedictine life (which includes a healthy dose of farm work).

The Bethlehem Abbey of Regina Laudis are something of a local treasure. They often appear on local television. If you're ever up in Connecticut it's surely worth a visit, it's a beautiful, charming, holy place.

Here's their site: http://www.abbeyofreginalaudis.com/

Is this the same Regina Laudis where Mother Dolores Heart (who shared the silver screen with Elvis Presley) resides?
Nolite confidere in principibus. - Psalm 145