Choose style:

Author Topic: Mel Gibson's Church -- SSPX, SSPV, etc.?  (Read 11563 times)

Miquelot

What sect of Traditional Catholicism is Mel Gibson  and, by extension, his Holy Family chapel in Malibu, CA affiliated with?  This  article below connects it to the World Faith Foundation, the Aquarian Education  Group, etc., but not anything as recognizable as the SSPX, SSPV, CMRI, etc.  Excerpts:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184668,00.html

St. Michael’s and its clerical leader, like the Holy Family Church in Malibu,  are not recognized by the archdiocese. The new church is officially supported by  something called the World Faith Foundation, which in turn is named in papers  filed by another charity, James Hirsen’s Foundation for Free  Expression, as an affiliated group.

Meanwhile, Holy Family’s religious leader is named on a Web site for  independent Catholic churches in California as the Most Reverend Tourkom  Saraydarian , who lists his own religious affiliation as the Aquarian  Education Group. It’s not clear what if  any association Saraydarian may have had with a religious philosopher of the  same name who died in 1997.

didishroom

Mel Gibson's Church -- SSPX, SSPV, etc.?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 04:54:pm »

I believe the sacraments are administered by an Independant priest.

"We're from Jersey. Not New Jersey, just Jersey.  We curse a lot. We say "yo" and we say it often. We sure as hell don't pump our own gas. We know what real pizza tastes like and we know that a bagel is much more than a roll wit a hole in the middle. We judge people by what exit they are off the parkway or by what mall they live closest to. We drive SUVs and we tailgate any chance we get.  All good nights must end in a diner, preferably with cheese fries. It's a sub, not a hoagie or a hero. and I wash it down with soda, not pop.  I have a dawg, and I drink cawfee.  ..and New York City, is "the city." We know 65 mph means 80 mph."-Anon

Foolish then, is he who departs from the Vicar of Christ Crucified, who has the keys of the Blood, or who goes against him . . . Even though the pope were satan incarnate himself, I may not lift up my head against him, but I must always humble myself, and beg for the Blood as a mercy, for in no other wise can I obtain a part of it -St. Catherine of Sienna.

If desire has equal power with actual Baptism, you would then be satisfied to desire Glory, as though that longing itself were Glory!-St. Gregory Nazianzen.

SCG

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:02:pm »
May I derail the thread ever so slightly by asking if Jim Caviezel (who portrayed Jesus in the POTC) is a traditional Catholic, too?

- Lisa
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Sinner

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 05:08:pm »
Permit me to display my ignorance (in the finest sense of the word)  here.
What is an "Independent" priest? Is that the same as diocesan?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God be merciful to me a sinner.

SCG

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:22:pm »

Quote from: Sinner
What is an "Independent" priest? Is that the same as diocesan?

More like independent of (from?) the diocese.

Maybe someone can correct my grammar.

- Lisa

Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien

CanadianCatholic

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 05:25:pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mel Gibson is SSPX.  My priest, Fr. Angele, is from Australia, he met him there a few times.

Fidelis

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 05:40:pm »
FWIW, I heard that on the set of the Passion of the Christ they had a priest from the ICRSS for daily mass.

didishroom

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 05:59:pm »
And I know an FSSP priest who heard his confession in an airport.
And then there's the Sedes who claim him.
Persoanlly I think he just wants the Latin Mass and doesn't want to side with anyone.
"We're from Jersey. Not New Jersey, just Jersey.  We curse a lot. We say "yo" and we say it often. We sure as hell don't pump our own gas. We know what real pizza tastes like and we know that a bagel is much more than a roll wit a hole in the middle. We judge people by what exit they are off the parkway or by what mall they live closest to. We drive SUVs and we tailgate any chance we get.  All good nights must end in a diner, preferably with cheese fries. It's a sub, not a hoagie or a hero. and I wash it down with soda, not pop.  I have a dawg, and I drink cawfee.  ..and New York City, is "the city." We know 65 mph means 80 mph."-Anon

Foolish then, is he who departs from the Vicar of Christ Crucified, who has the keys of the Blood, or who goes against him . . . Even though the pope were satan incarnate himself, I may not lift up my head against him, but I must always humble myself, and beg for the Blood as a mercy, for in no other wise can I obtain a part of it -St. Catherine of Sienna.

If desire has equal power with actual Baptism, you would then be satisfied to desire Glory, as though that longing itself were Glory!-St. Gregory Nazianzen.

Rosarium

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 06:38:pm »
Mel Gibson recognizes the Pope, so he isn't a sede. I don't think he'd have a heretical priest either.

AndreasAngelopolitanus

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 06:53:pm »
Quote from: Miquelot
What sect of Traditional Catholicism is Mel Gibson and, by extension, his Holy Family chapel in Malibu, CA affiliated with?  This article below connects it to the World Faith Foundation, the Aquarian Education Group, etc., but not anything as recognizable as the SSPX, SSPV, CMRI, etc. Excerpts:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184668,00.html

St. Michael’s and its clerical leader, like the Holy Family Church in Malibu, are not recognized by the archdiocese. The new church is officially supported by something called the World Faith Foundation, which in turn is named in papers filed by another charity, James Hirsen’s Foundation for Free Expression, as an affiliated group.

Meanwhile, Holy Family’s religious leader is named on a Web site for independent Catholic churches in California as the Most Reverend Tourkom Saraydarian , who lists his own religious affiliation as the Aquarian Education Group. It’s not clear what if any association Saraydarian may have had with a religious philosopher of the same name who died in 1997.

I believe it can be said that Mel Gibson and his private chapel are not affiliated with any particular sect.  Many of those "70 members" that the article mentions (Gibson included) were former attendees of Our Lady of the Angels chapel in Arcadia, CA, which was pastored by a so-called "independent" priest named Msgr. Donohue (+RIP).

More about Msgr. Donohue can be read here: http://www.sspx.org/Chapels_Pages/arcadia_ca.htm

The reason(s) for Gibson and others to not attend Mass in Arcadia after the SSPX took over the chapel are not known by me with any level of certainty.  One could speculate "sedevacantist reasons" for their avoiding the SSPX.  One could equally speculate hesitancy towards an order that had been accused of being schismatic.  And... there could even be the explanation that they live a whole heck of a lot closer to Malibu than Arcadia.

I wish the article was a bit more specific (i.e., providing the source) for the "Most Reverend Tourkom Saraydarian" leadership of Holy Family...

To the best of my knowledge (from news reports), the World Faith Foundation has 2 churches: one in Malibu, CA and one somewhere in PA.  Mel attends one, his father attends the other.  I'd speculate it's how Gibson's accountant keeps his finances straight; i.e., separating his taxable income from the religious/charity/non-profit activites.
Arreptisque Nadab et Abiu, filii Aaron, turibulis posuerunt ignem et incensum desuper, offerentes coram Domino ignem alienum quod eis praeceptum non erat.  Egressusque ignis a Domino devoravit eos et mortui sunt coram Domino.  Loose Translation:  Don't monkey around with the Mass.

Quote from: ggreg
Since Southern Californians are wacko anyway...

Mr. Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

Nemo ante mortem beatus dicendus.