Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 285267 times)

formerbuddhist

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #1990 on: January 17, 2017, 05:10:pm »
Paul Knitter's Without Buddha I Could Not Be Christian
Joseph Pieper The End of Time
Trevor Jalland The Church and the Papacy
Mike Cernovich Gorilla Mindset
John Duckett HTML and CSS

So far all are interesting, and by far the most difficult is the Josef Pieper one. It's dense, short but very dense. It's making me think though.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

GoodKingWenceslas

• 18, High School Senior, Going to study Theology
    • Nihil Obstat
« Reply #1991 on: January 20, 2017, 11:54:am »
I'm trying to read about a chapter a day of a few books, maybe not a standard method, but these are the books:
Summa Theologiae Prima Pars, History Philosophy Volume II, Nicomachean Ethics.

Hard to read them, but if I was more knowledgeable on Theology and Philosophy I wouldn't have to do it, I just want to get the basics.

Jeeter

« Reply #1992 on: January 20, 2017, 08:27:pm »
I'm flipping between The Gospel of Luke and The Essentials of Conservation Biology.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

Cuthbert

« Reply #1993 on: January 20, 2017, 11:29:pm »
The Art of the Deal.  :)

In His Love

« Reply #1994 on: January 28, 2017, 05:17:am »
Next up:

"O Jesus, Whose adorable Face ravished my heart, I implore Thee to fix deep within me Thy Divine Image and to set me on fire with Thy Love, that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen." - St. Therese of Lisieux

In His Love

« Reply #1995 on: February 03, 2017, 06:35:pm »
I decided to pass that Mother Angelica book along to my mom. I'm going to finish up the Gospel According to St. John.
"O Jesus, Whose adorable Face ravished my heart, I implore Thee to fix deep within me Thy Divine Image and to set me on fire with Thy Love, that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen." - St. Therese of Lisieux

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
« Reply #1996 on: February 11, 2017, 02:39:am »
The Way of Perfection by Sta Teresa d'Avila.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!

formerbuddhist

« Reply #1997 on: February 11, 2017, 11:26:am »
Studies In Matthew by Ulrich Luz

It's very dense but very good.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

Sequentia

« Reply #1998 on: February 11, 2017, 09:31:pm »
Besides the Bible and devotional stuff I'm also reading (or re-reading, in the case of LOTR):

Recently I started reading these but don't know how long I'll continue them for:

And I'm hoping to pick this one up again and continue reading it, since it's such a massive work:

"The problem with you sir, is that your intelligence enables you to evaluate people critically and when you evaluate people critically, you bring danger upon yourself."   -Lao Tzu

"And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: [...] creeping things [...] of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so." -Genesis 1:24 (RSV:CE)

Vive les Catholiques de la Vendée!

Eric F

« Reply #1999 on: February 17, 2017, 10:56:am »
                                                                    Moscow 1812 :Napoleon's Fatal March by Adam Zamoyski. Excellent so far and the more I read of this campaign the more of an understanding I get of the ringing church bells in Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture and how they proclaim the victory of Orthodox Christian Russia over anti-clerical, secular France.

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: