Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 285306 times)

Eric F

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #2020 on: March 07, 2017, 04:48:pm »

The Secret Still Hidden by Christopher A Ferrara. Pretty good so far.

Sequentia

« Reply #2021 on: March 07, 2017, 11:43:pm »
Sequentia,
would that be these folks? https://dominicaninstitute.com

Yes.

How is the quality of the courses for those that have taken or are currently taking a class?

I have no idea simply because this is only my 2nd class with them...and both courses I've taken are automated. There are automated and then instructor-led classes which tend to be semester-long, more expensive, and more work involved. I took their free course the first time and am moving on up to see how the quality differs from the free course. It might not be for everyone.
"The problem with you sir, is that your intelligence enables you to evaluate people critically and when you evaluate people critically, you bring danger upon yourself."   -Lao Tzu

"And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: [...] creeping things [...] of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so." -Genesis 1:24 (RSV:CE)

Vive les Catholiques de la Vendée!

formerbuddhist

« Reply #2022 on: March 09, 2017, 01:35:pm »
I'm reading a book called Paths of the Heart,a dialogue between Islamic Mysticism and Orthodox Hesychasm.  Thus far it's fascinating. 
I've been on an Islam kick start of late, reading everything from the Study Koran to William Chittick and Titus Burkhardt books. I've no desire to become Muslim, but I want to understand beyond the headlines why this religion has captured hearts of so many over the centuries.  The more I read I see it's not just because of the violent tendencies within Islam,it's because it truly is a full on way of life, an all encompassing worldview.  It's also fairly deep and rich theologically,and not at all the monoculture I expected. 
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

AgnusDei1989

« Reply #2023 on: March 10, 2017, 12:30:am »
I've been reading a little collection of short Catholic stories by one Eleanor C. Donnelly - "Petronilla and other stories." Very sweet - and free on Google Books. Also rereading Three Religious Rebels by Fr. M. Raymond - I love his writing and took advantage of its being my turn to choose for my book club. :)
Verbis defectis, musica incipit.

"Music is God's gift to man, the only art of Heaven given to earth, the only art of earth we take to Heaven." -- Walter Savage Landor

Estevao

« Reply #2024 on: March 19, 2017, 11:56:pm »
Knowing the Love of God by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange.

Written for religious, but good lenten reading material.

In His Love

« Reply #2025 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:am »
I've decided to stop reading On The Incarnation of the Word and to delay Interior Castle just a bit longer in order to read this:

I'm still reading Acts of the Apostles.
"O Jesus, Whose adorable Face ravished my heart, I implore Thee to fix deep within me Thy Divine Image and to set me on fire with Thy Love, that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen." - St. Therese of Lisieux

dahveed

« Reply #2026 on: March 22, 2017, 06:38:am »
Back and forth between these: Cor Jesu Sacartissimum, Conversation With Christ, Mead's Hours of the Passion, and In Sine Jesu. Need more time for reading!  :LOL:
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.

Jeeter

« Reply #2027 on: March 22, 2017, 07:55:am »
I just started "The Gentle Traditionalist."
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

Teddy123

« Reply #2028 on: March 22, 2017, 04:45:pm »
I just started "The Gentle Traditionalist."
I read it about a year ago and really enjoyed it. It's nicely done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Teddy123

« Reply #2029 on: March 23, 2017, 02:55:am »
Currently reading Rodney Stark's "Bearing False Witness".
It's very important for Catholics (indeed everyone) to be informed and knowledgeable about history, think critically and question prevailing narratives. Stark does an excellent job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: