Choose style:

Author Topic: How to pay tuition for the seminary  (Read 2601 times)

Slayer

How to pay tuition for the seminary
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:02:pm »
As some of you may know, I have visited an SSPX seminary a couple months ago. It was quite an experience. One of the questions I asked while I was there was about tuition and how the seminarians pay for it. I was surprised to learn that once you join you can no longer work over the summer breaks you have. So, I asked some of the seminarians and the rector how the seminarians were able to pay the tuition. Their answer was through family, friends, and benefactors. Also, Providence, thus God will provide a way if it is His Will. Perhaps it is my lack of faith in Providence, since I do see this as an obstacle. I do not have friends that could help me. I do have a big extended family that could likely help, however, I did mention the tuition part upon returning and they seem apathetic. This is no surprise since all of them are either Novus Ordo Catholics who are pretty much lapsed or protestant.

It is not certain that I will enter the seminary. I still have to go to a priory/school this September for a year to prepare me for possibly entering the seminary. If I do go, it will probably be next year.

I was wondering if any of you know any ways on how some seminarians have paid for their tuition. I would greatly appreciate it if any of you have any ideas on what I should do.

Rosarium

Re: How to pay tuition for the seminary
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 03:03:pm »
What is the tuition?

Vetus Ordo

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 03:04:pm »
Talk to your SSPX priest about this or to the rector of the seminary if you know him. If you have serious difficulties in paying for the tuition, something can be arranged.
"THE LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 26:1)

"And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." — Clement, bishop of Rome

"I love truth," says he, "and not sects. I am sometimes a peripatetic, a stoic, or an academician, and often none of them; but—always a Christian. To philosophise is to love wisdom; and the true wisdom is Jesus Christ. Let us read the historians, the poets, and the philosophers; but let us have in our hearts the gospel of Jesus Christ, in which alone is perfect wisdom and perfect happiness." — Petrarch

Slayer

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:44:pm »
What is the tuition?

It is four grand a year now. However, I was told they are thinking of raising it to six or seven grand a year.

Talk to your SSPX priest about this or to the rector of the seminary if you know him. If you have serious difficulties in paying for the tuition, something can be arranged.

I am planing on mentioning it to the priest next time I see him.

PaxVobiscum

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:30:pm »
Student loans?  I had scholarships and government loans for college, my husband took out loans from a bank, and we paid them all off on a teacher's salary. 

kthrun

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:21:pm »
I googled "seminary school tuition assistance" and quite a bit came up.  Check to see if the school accepts FAFSA, not sure if many seminary colleges do.

Otherwise you could look into the military they will pay your way and you have 2 of the best jobs at the same time - just a thought.  I spent 11 years in the Navy, Navy & Army Chaplains are some of the best people you will ever meet - even during my time away from the church I was never turned away by any of our Chaplains if I needed guidance.  Not to mention you travel all over the world and would have the best job ever, serving those who serve.
Crux Sancta Sit Mihi Lux, Non Draco Sit Mihi Dux
Vade Retor Satana! Non Suade Mihi Vana
Sunt Mala Quae Libas, Ipse Venena Bibas!

PaxVobiscum

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 03:03:pm »

The military is a good suggestion for anyone going to seminary or med school.  They pay your tuition and when you finish school you become an officer and earn a good salary and benefits while working off your debt to the military.  Some decide to make a career of it, others get out after their initial tour is up.  I think the required tour is six years.  The downside these days is that you could be sent to a war zone but there is always a need for chaplains (and doctors) stateside and on American bases that are not in war zones.

ggreg

• Banned for being an ass and bringing up old things that need not be brought up, even after she was told not to
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 10:41:pm »
I wonder whether anyone has ever joined a Novus Ordo seminary, suffered for 6 years, become a priest and then gone and joined the SSPX straight away?

OLOMC

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 10:54:pm »
I wonder whether anyone has ever joined a Novus Ordo seminary, suffered for 6 years, become a priest and then gone and joined the SSPX straight away?

Eventually, some priests did make their way to the SSPX. Not including the original members who founded the Society who were part of the seminarians asking Archbishop Lefebvre for help, I wonder how long it took for the quickest Novus Ordo defection? I know Fr. Danel was and still is a young priest when he started helping out the SSPX. On the flip side, the quickest to get ordained and leave the SSPX (albeit not for the Novus Ordo) has got to be Fr. Trytek.

Anyway, I don't know much about financial help for the seminary, but I will keep you in prayer.

Slayer

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 01:02:am »
Thank you all for your responses. I spoke with the priest at the church I attend. He told me the seminary is pretty lenient on tuition and not something I should worry too much at the moment. I still need to attend a school to prepare me and further discernment for my vocation. I suppose I will cross the bridge if i get there some how.

I am not too fond of the military suggestion for a variety of reasons: I am not liking the direction the U.S. is heading (and thus be a pawn of the military industrial complex), I mean no offense to anyone who has served or is currently serving the armed forces,  they inject you with many vaccines and do not tell you what they are, and I have heard of at least one student who earned a government grant for college had it revoked when it was found out the student was pursuing a theological degree ( they pulled a separation of Church and State argument). Thus I am not sure if even the government would pay for the tuition for a seminary.