Choose style:

Author Topic: whats the difference between high and low mass  (Read 8604 times)

SanctiDominici

whats the difference between high and low mass
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:27:pm »
What is the actual differences between a high mass, low mass and solemn mass?

Jacafamala

• Mary, my mother and my confidence
  • Gold Fish
  • Jesus, Mary and Joseph, we love you, save souls!
    • Rosa Mystica Mantilla
Re: whats the difference between high and low mass
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:49:pm »

Oh, about a half hour...   :P
The Devil is like a mad dog tied by a chain. Beyond the length of the chain he cannot catch hold of anyone. And you, therefore, keep your distance. If you get too close you will be caught. Remember, the Devil has only one door with which to enter into our soul: our will. There are no secret or hidden doors. No sin is a true sin if we have not willfully consented. ~Saint Padre Pio of Pietrelcina

Above all things, preserve constant charity among yourselves; charity draws the veil over a multitude of sins. -1 Peter

Resurrexi

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:pm »

I am sure that there are others who can explain this much better than I can, but here is my brief explanation.

Low Mass - The texts of the Mass are read, not chanted or sung.
High Mass - Various parts of the Mass are chanted or sung and incense may be used.
Solemn High Mass - The deacon and subdeacon do various things in the sanctuary, various parts of the Mass are chanted or sung, and incense is used.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:18:pm by Resurrexi »
Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur,
Omnia mors perimit et nulli miseretur.
Ad mortem festinamus; peccare desistamus.

MagisterMusicae

• Resident Contrarian
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:45:pm »
The technical terms are:

"Low Mass": Missa Privata or Missa Recitiva -- that is a "Private Mass" or a "Recited Mass"

"High Mass": Missa Cantata -- that is a "Sung Mass"

"Solemn Mass": Missa Solemnis

I prefer to use the terms: Recited Mass, Sung Mass and Solemn Mass. The " High/Low" difference is not always accurate, and there are plenty of variations on this.

At a Solemn Mass the Priest sings much of the Mass, with the Deacon and Sub-deacon assisting (particularly in singing the Gospel and Epistle). The Deacon assists the priest at the altar and sings the Ite Missa Est. The subdeacon helps set up the altar as well as singing the Epistle. The Faithful sing the Ordinary of the Mass. The choir (schola) sings the Propers.

At a Sung Mass the Priest sings the same parts of the Mass as at a Solemn Mass, but he also assumes the parts of the Deacon and Subdeacon, since these do not assist him. The Faithful and Choir do the same as at a Solemn Mass.

At a Recited Mass, the Priests recited all parts that he would have sung before. The Faithful may recite parts of the Mass they would have sung at a Sung or Solemn Mass. The choir may sing Latin or vernacular hymns as Processional, Recessional, at the Offertory and during Communion, but are not permitted to sing over the priest while he is reciting the Mass.

The_Harlequin_King

• Protector of the Internet!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 02:28:pm »
At a Recited Mass, the Priests recited all parts that he would have sung before. The Faithful may recite parts of the Mass they would have sung at a Sung or Solemn Mass. The choir may sing Latin or vernacular hymns as Processional, Recessional, at the Offertory and during Communion, but are not permitted to sing over the priest while he is reciting the Mass.

What is your opinion on things like the French Organ Mass (where the organist plays all throughout the Recited Mass) or the Deutche Singmesse (where the congregation sings vernacular paraphrase hymns of the Ordinary texts while the priest recites them)?
Please read and subscribe to my blog: Modern Medievalism. Applying old-world solutions to new-world problems.

Praying for the dead is important. PM me if you need a cantor for the Requiem Mass of a deceased friend or family member. Have cassock and surplice, will travel. (Will also do weddings for a reasonable price.)

AndreasAngelopolitanus

• Lay Inquisitor General
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 02:36:pm »

The number of altar candles... lit, anyway.   ;)
Arreptisque Nadab et Abiu, filii Aaron, turibulis posuerunt ignem et incensum desuper, offerentes coram Domino ignem alienum quod eis praeceptum non erat.  Egressusque ignis a Domino devoravit eos et mortui sunt coram Domino.  Loose Translation:  Don't monkey around with the Mass.

Quote from: ggreg
Since Southern Californians are wacko anyway...

Mr. Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

Nemo ante mortem beatus dicendus.

CanadianCatholic

• Kickin @$$ and takin names
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 02:54:pm »
High Mass is sung, Low Mass is not (so its a bit quicker)

Credo

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 05:58:pm »
Singing. BTW - The High Mass is the normative Mass of the Latin Rite.
I promise not to put anything here which might help us question our mind-forged manacles, inspire us, or help us in any way at all.

N.B.: I will not be posting on this site again until the Christmas octave. Have a good Advent.

Benno

• Banned because he wanted to be
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 04:07:am »
Just to add a dumb comment, as someone raised with the NOM, one of the main differences for me was that in a high Mass the congregation actually responded aloud, which was much easier for me to adjust to than the silent but equally real participation that we take in a low Mass. It's ironic in a way, but I remember thinking during my first high Mass "oh I can do this, this is pretty much the same as what I do every Sunday" (no snide comments please) whereas during my first few low Masses I was thinking "so what are we in the pews here for, reading books and saying our own prayers while the priest goes through it alone?"  :doh:

MagisterMusicae

• Resident Contrarian
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 07:29:pm »
Singing. BTW - The High Mass is the normative Mass of the Latin Rite.

This is why I try to avoid the term "High Mass". Many people think a "High Mass" is the form of Mass with the priest at the altar and singing. "High Mass" can mean this, but it is often used to mean a Solemn Mass as well.

To be clear: It is not the Sung Mass, but the Solemn Mass which is the normative form of the Mass in the Extraordinary Form.

The Solemn Mass is a Mass with Priest, Deacon and Subdeacon at the altar and a Liturgical Choir singing the full Gregorian propers with the Faithful singing the Ordinary. It is the form upon which all the other forms are based.

This form is a derivative of the Pontifical form, minus the Episcopal privileges.

The Sung Mass and Recited ("Low") Mass are simply derivatives of the Solemn Form.