Choose style:

Author Topic: Easter Vigil Mass; what to expect...  (Read 16966 times)

Jacafamala

• My mother, my confidence.
  • Gold Fish
  • Discorso della luna.
    • Rosa Mystica Mantilla
Easter Vigil Mass; what to expect...
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:06:am »
I'm trying to decide between taking the children to Mass tonight at 7p.m. and/or going by myself and then taking them to Mass early tomorrow. Last year we went to the Low Mass on Easter Sunday. Does the vigil Mass "count" (fulfill the requirement) for Easter Sunday? Time-wise how long does that vigil Mass usually run? I'm sort of leaning towards going to that one, because I've heard it's basically the highlight of the entire year. I'm just trying to figure out what I can do, and what might be pushing it with my children and extended family coming over, etc, etc...

rosamysticamantilla.com

Above all things, preserve constant charity among yourselves; charity draws the veil over a multitude of sins. -1 Peter

Credo

Re: Easter Vigil Mass; what to expect...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:06:am »
Go to the Vigil. As you have said, it is the liturgical celebration of the entire year.

Quote from: Jacafamala
Does the vigil Mass "count" (fulfill the requirement) for Easter Sunday?

Yes. The liturgical day begins at sundown.*

* This isn't a new "spirit of Vatican II" thing either. I challenge anyone who disagrees with the above statement to produce a breviary which doesn't have "First Vespers for Sunday" being said at sundown on Saturday evening.

Time-wise how long does that vigil Mass usually run?

About 2 1/2 - 3 hours. It will take more if there are - God willing - converts being received tonight.

I'm just trying to figure out what I can do, and what might be pushing it with my children and extended family coming over, etc, etc...

Obviously bringing your family would be the first option. If not, see if you can't get someone to hold down the fort while you're out. Perhaps an infidel family member or friend.
I promise not to put anything here which might help us question our mind-forged manacles, inspire us, or help us in any way at all.

N.B.: I will not be posting on this site again until the Christmas octave. Have a good Advent.

The_Harlequin_King

• Protector of the Internet!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:26:pm »
Assuming your church celebrates the Easter Vigil with all the bells and whistles, expect this:

1.) The blessing of the Easter fire, a bonfire, outside the church.
2.) The priest inscribes Alpha and Omega, and the year onto the new year's Paschal Candle and lights it with a flame from the Easter fire
3.) The Paschal Candle leads a procession of all the faithful into the church, while the deacon sings "Lumen Christi" three times
4.) Your church might hand out small candles to everyone, and as the Candle passes by everyone, each person's candle will be lit up with flames passed down from this giant candle; it's pretty cool when all the church's lights are out
4.) The deacon sings a giant hymn of priase called the Exultet
5.) During the Mass of the Catechumens, there are at least four readings from the Old Testament, starting with Genesis 1:1 and working all through Biblical history
6.) If there are people to be baptized or confirmed, there will be the Litany of Saints and then their initiation rites
7.) The tower bell is rung during the Gloria, and Mass continues from there as usual
8.) Actually, there is one more thing; the Alleluia for the gospel is solemnly intoned three times, each at a higher pitch than the last
Please read and subscribe to my blog: Modern Medievalism. Applying old-world solutions to new-world problems.

Praying for the dead is important. PM me if you need a cantor for the Requiem Mass of a deceased friend or family member. Have cassock and surplice, will travel. (Will also do weddings for a reasonable price.)

kimbaichan

• Bailamos con La Muerte
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:41:pm »
Our NO vigil mass will include everything HK just said except we're only doing three readings 'cause I go to Mass with all elderly people and Monsignor thinks that would be too long for them and we don't have a bell tower but we do have extra bells just for tonight.
Random books from kimbaichan's library
The Ordeal Of Integration: Progress And Resentment In America's "Racial" Crisis by Orlando Patterson

Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture by Ariel Levy

The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton

The Church: The Evolution of Catholicism by Richard P. Mcbrien

Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain

The Arabian Nights by Muhsin Mahdi

The Primitive Church: The Church in the Days of the Apostles by O.S.B. Rev. D. I. Lanslots

SCG

• Gold Fish
  • Downton Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:42:pm »
Our parish does it the way HK said.. We start at 9:00pm. That runs a bit late for the children and us older folks. If there are baptisms and confirmations, the Mass will be considerably longer. I love the readings!! And, like I said in another thread, there's nothing like entering the church - pitch black as a tomb. When the Pachal Candle is brought in, and the tiny candles one by one flood the church with light, it sure is spectacular. You should go, Jaca. 

SCG

• Gold Fish
  • Downton Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 04:48:pm »
PS: I've been listening to the Easter Vigil in Rome with the Pope. I don't know if it's "LIVE" or a rebroadcast. Right now he is baptizing the Elect!

The_Harlequin_King

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:am »
Yes, my post applies to both the Tridentine and Novus Ordo (and Anglican use) usages; at least theoretically.
Please read and subscribe to my blog: Modern Medievalism. Applying old-world solutions to new-world problems.

Praying for the dead is important. PM me if you need a cantor for the Requiem Mass of a deceased friend or family member. Have cassock and surplice, will travel. (Will also do weddings for a reasonable price.)

Jacafamala

• My mother, my confidence.
  • Gold Fish
  • Discorso della luna.
    • Rosa Mystica Mantilla
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:50:pm »
Thanks everyone. Next year, definitely I'll go. I just couldn't this year. I got too busy with all the other stuff. Dinner was great. I'm very replete. I'm whipped.

We went  to the Low Mass in the morning instead.

A blessed and happy Easter to all good fishies!

rosamysticamantilla.com

Above all things, preserve constant charity among yourselves; charity draws the veil over a multitude of sins. -1 Peter

Baskerville

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 12:00:am »
I had to go to the liberal NO and the Priest behaved himself pretty well stuck to the rubrics and such except the Mass proper he makes up his own canon. Anyway the Mass such as it was lasted 3 hours and 51 minutes I had my stop watch running on my cell phone(dont worry I left the cell in the car) anyway isnt that a little longer than most? At the High Church NO in town it takes only about two hours. We only had a few baptisms and confirmands too so I dont know why it took so long.

The_Harlequin_King

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 04:19:am »
I had to go to the liberal NO and the Priest behaved himself pretty well stuck to the rubrics and such except the Mass proper he makes up his own canon. Anyway the Mass such as it was lasted 3 hours and 51 minutes I had my stop watch running on my cell phone(dont worry I left the cell in the car) anyway isnt that a little longer than most? At the High Church NO in town it takes only about two hours. We only had a few baptisms and confirmands too so I dont know why it took so long.

My church's Vigil lasted about 2 and a half hours. Did yours have baptisms or confirmations? That'll be the element that makes it take longer than most. Mine didn't have any of those.