Choose style:

Author Topic: Anti-Catholic children's books  (Read 5295 times)

brigadoon

Anti-Catholic children's books
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:45:pm »
I am hoping we can come up with a listing of children's books to AVOID.  I ran across this article http://www.catholicleague.org/research/childrenslit.htm that lists a few books, but I am hoping we can add to it.

A couple I ran across that were said to have  anti-Catholic themes were Elsie Dinsmore and The Water Babies.

Magnificat

Re: Anti-Catholic children's books
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 01:55:pm »
The Babysitter's Club is loathesome in every way.

mamalove

• Baby Mama
  • Absolute truth must be unchangeable! St. Pius X
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:58:pm »
my daughter refused to read Elsie Dinsmore, because they made her cry.
Crypto Lefebvreian drifter........
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat!

brigadoon

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:03:pm »
my daughter refused to read Elsie Dinsmore, because they made her cry.

I picked up the book at a thrift store but luckily read about it before I gave it to dd.  I had seen it spoken of favorably on some homeschooling boards so I grabbed it when I saw it.

Iuvenalis

• Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
  • Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 04:02:pm »
Avoid anything by Judy Blume
"It is questionable whether the proper functions of Catholics is to hunt down, "expose" and condemn Catholics they suspect of undue rigidity, disobedience or "material schism"; especially while giving support to a Vatican ecumenical campaign which addresses heretics and actual Schismatics as "separated brethren", Jews as "people of the covenant" and Muslims as "people of God". This is part of the overall contradiction (or inconsistency) that permeates the "conservative" mentality. Cloaked in a pledged loyalty to all things "whatsoever" emanating from the Holy See, many "conservatives" will go beyond the measures taken by the Church leaders, or even disagree with their actual positions. The Hawaii "excommunications" were an obvious example but others can be seen. "Conservatives" denounce as "Schismatic" all those who set foot in SSPX chapels while the Vatican embraces the Schismatics in China. "Conservatives" deny any significant change at the Second Vatican Council while the Pope celebrates the enormity and impact of the changes. "Conservatives" seek the conversion of the Eastern "Orthodox" while the Vatican promises not to "proselytize" them. "Conservatives" deride American bishops while the Pope appoints and promotes the same ones." -Peter Miller

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a depraved society When an immoral society has blatantly and proudly violated all the commandments, it insists upon one last virtue, tolerance for its immorality. It will not tolerate condemnation of its perversions. It creates a whole new world in which only the intolerant critic of intolerable evil is evil." -H. Gibson

(5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) ≠ 722,500

cgraye

• Gold Fish
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:15:pm »

Why?  I loved a couple of her books when I was a kid, and I don't think there was anything  even remotely related to any religion in them.
Chris

AuberonDraenenWen

• Resident Druid
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:44:pm »
You guys would want to add "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman in there Catholic Church is the villain in the end god is killed.

Also Percy Jackson might be on your lists. Greek Gods are real Jesus doesn't exist.

Iuvenalis

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 11:29:pm »

Why?  I loved a couple of her books when I was a kid, and I don't think there was anything  even remotely related to any religion in them.

More immoral than anti-religious. Ever read "Then Again, Maybe I Won't"?

Vocal Planned Parenthood supporter too.

Also see here:
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3420879.msg33067848.html#msg33067848
"It is questionable whether the proper functions of Catholics is to hunt down, "expose" and condemn Catholics they suspect of undue rigidity, disobedience or "material schism"; especially while giving support to a Vatican ecumenical campaign which addresses heretics and actual Schismatics as "separated brethren", Jews as "people of the covenant" and Muslims as "people of God". This is part of the overall contradiction (or inconsistency) that permeates the "conservative" mentality. Cloaked in a pledged loyalty to all things "whatsoever" emanating from the Holy See, many "conservatives" will go beyond the measures taken by the Church leaders, or even disagree with their actual positions. The Hawaii "excommunications" were an obvious example but others can be seen. "Conservatives" denounce as "Schismatic" all those who set foot in SSPX chapels while the Vatican embraces the Schismatics in China. "Conservatives" deny any significant change at the Second Vatican Council while the Pope celebrates the enormity and impact of the changes. "Conservatives" seek the conversion of the Eastern "Orthodox" while the Vatican promises not to "proselytize" them. "Conservatives" deride American bishops while the Pope appoints and promotes the same ones." -Peter Miller

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a depraved society When an immoral society has blatantly and proudly violated all the commandments, it insists upon one last virtue, tolerance for its immorality. It will not tolerate condemnation of its perversions. It creates a whole new world in which only the intolerant critic of intolerable evil is evil." -H. Gibson

cgraye

• Gold Fish
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 11:16:pm »

Also see here:
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3420879.msg33067848.html#msg33067848

Well, I was thinking about Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Superfudge, etc., and there's nothing immoral in those books, I'm sure.
Chris

Iuvenalis

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 12:35:am »

Also see here:

Well, I was thinking about Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Superfudge, etc., and there's nothing immoral in those books, I'm sure.

There's enough Beverly Cleary to go around, just skip Judy Blume entirely instead of putting another coin in her pocket to donate to Planned Parenthood.