Choose style:

Author Topic: Anti-Catholic children's books  (Read 5286 times)

Satori

Re: Anti-Catholic children's books
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 08:34:am »
From what little I've read about Elsie Dinsmore, I can't imagine any child reading her books unless forced by a calico-sack-wearing-homeschooling mother. It IS possible to find books for children that are moral and wholesome without being the literary equivalent of a putrid bottle of medicine. I hate didactic children's books.

Yes, The Water Babies is anti-Catholic, anti-Irish, anti-American, and anti- a few other things that I can't remember now. It's a charming, magical story buried in didacticism and sXXXXing prejudice. Try to get your hands on some of the exquisitely beautiful watercolor illustrations for the story, but leave the story itself alone.

(I do think they sell abridged versions of it now, though, and I'm sure the snarky comments about papists are gone along with the other bigotry. This, together with the abridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo, is the only abridged novel I would recommend anyone reading.)

To add to the list, I say avoid Susan's Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series. They aren't so much anti-religion as dismissive of religion, and their view of good and evil is woefully distorted.
"Skeptics will always prevail. God gives us just enough to seek Him, and never enough to fully find Him. To do more would inhibit our freedom, and our freedom is very dear to God." --Ron Hansen, "Mariette in Ecstasy"

mamalove

• Baby Mama
  • Absolute truth must be unchangeable! St. Pius X
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 11:37:pm »
calico sack wearing homeschool mother here....
I let my girls listen to water babies....ugggg

Crypto Lefebvreian drifter........
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat!

DesperatelySeeking

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 11:03:am »
the abridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo

I'm horrified.  One of my favorite books ever......I can't imagine reading a truncated version.

I have not read the Golden Compass series, but I remember that when the movie came out there was quite a bit of spirited discussion about it on this board.

I have not seen too many openly anti-Catholic kids books, but the problem with some of them is that they're steeped in the leftie, hug-a-tree, evil-white-man theology.  My son got his suggested summer reading list for 6th grade and he doesn't want to read any of them, and I don't blame him; sample plot summary:  "Little Joey's grandpa dies and a talking caterpillar persuades him to begin the healing process by caring for the environment".   BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!  C'mon, this is an 11-year-old boy, can you toss him a story about a fighter pilot or a pirate captain?!??!

miss_fluffy

• Domina Frivola
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 12:27:pm »
I remember when I was reading "Are you there God, It's me, Margaret", I originally thought the "special place" that she described giving her comfort at night was a birthmark or something like that.  It took me awhile to figure it out.  I hate that book.
Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.– Buddha

Note: According to this precept, I find that Buddhism is NOT true.  I have tested and judged many things, and the only Truth I have found is in God's One True Church: The Catholic Church.

Dear Lord, I know I can live by Your Holy Will every moment of my life, because You have given me faith that Your Grace will enable me to.

JayneK

• GFH
  • with my grandsons
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 02:42:pm »
You guys would want to add "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman in there Catholic Church is the villain in the end god is killed.

Also Percy Jackson might be on your lists. Greek Gods are real Jesus doesn't exist.

Yes, Phillip Pullman is on record as trying to promote atheism through these books.  I would consider having my older children (mid-teens, perhaps) read them and then analyzing them to examine his techniques.  He is fairly blatant and could help prepare children to see more subtle anti-Catholicism. 

Percy Jackson didn't bother me.  It just seemed like an alternate universe rather than a commentary on reality.

Older books tend to have a different sort of anti-Catholicism than modern ones.  For example, Louisa May Alcott, has the occasional anti-Catholic remark (usually in the context of looking down on Irish immigrants) in her stories. I still let my children read her books, but try to point out that sort of thing them.

Books tend to be products of their cultures that reflect their prejudices and values.  With young children I try to protect them from ideas that are contrary to Catholic faith and morals, but as my children grow older, I want to teach them to recognize and defend themselves from such ideas.

ADORABLE Saviour, consider my many wants, and grant me those graces which Thou knowest I stand in need of to do Thy will in all things.

Satori

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 03:33:pm »
calico sack wearing homeschool mother here....
I let my girls listen to water babies....ugggg

Nothing against homeschooling mothers, by the way -- or calico -- you know the kind of person I'm talking about.

You let them LISTEN to the Water Babies? Do you have a book on tape?

Fluffy: The book you're thinking of is Deenie, and it soiled my once-innocent mind.
"Skeptics will always prevail. God gives us just enough to seek Him, and never enough to fully find Him. To do more would inhibit our freedom, and our freedom is very dear to God." --Ron Hansen, "Mariette in Ecstasy"

Rosarium

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 05:09:am »
Harry Potter.

Good Catholics should only read good literature, not the drivel of those who can't construct a plot.

Satori

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:am »
Harry Potter.

Good Catholics should only read good literature, not the drivel of those who can't construct a plot.

The plot is well-constructed, it's the writing itself that could use a clean up.

Rosarium

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 08:41:am »
Harry Potter.

The plot is well-constructed, it's the writing itself that could use a clean up.

The word revolves around Harry Potter, including the creation of a sport which he can be the only significant player by virtue of hand waving (no actual skill involved). The plot is very contrived and obviously is written specifically as a vehicle for a hero who doesn't have any particular personal worth.

Satori

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 09:04:am »
Harry Potter.

The word revolves around Harry Potter, including the creation of a sport which he can be the only significant player by virtue of hand waving (no actual skill involved). The plot is very contrived and obviously is written specifically as a vehicle for a hero who doesn't have any particular personal worth.

What you describe above (which I think is a very odd way of looking at it) is not the plot. The plot is not contrived, it is classic. Now, you may believe that it is not an interesting plot or that it is not done well, but that doesn't change the fact that it has a plot. The thing is, you have to read the whole series to see the plot unfold, so you cannot make this judgment from reading the first few books (which, by the way, I think are the weakest books in the series).