Church > The Divine Office, Ecclesiastical Latin, & Sacred Music

Pius XII psalter

<< < (2/3) > >>

Resurrexi:

--- Quote from: glgas on July 02, 2010, 04:18:pm ---Apparently you believe that you are possessing beatific vision and essential comprehension
--- End quote ---

Flamebait?

--- Quote from: glgas on July 02, 2010, 04:18:pm ---but many of us, including me, do not have such privilege. Would you so king to provide details?

--- End quote ---

Cicero's style is great if you want to read about Cataline, but I'll stick with Christian Latin when reading the psalms.

glgas:

--- Quote from: Resurrexi on July 02, 2010, 04:26:pm ---Cicero's style is great if you want to read about Cataline, but I'll stick with Christian Latin when reading the psalms.

--- End quote ---

Actualy the Psalter of Pius XII is more like the Medieval Latin then the Clementine Vulgata.

The goal was to bring it closer to the Hebrew typical edition (Kittel) and to the Latin what was spoken in the seminaries.

voltape:

--- Quote from: ForumLurker on July 02, 2010, 01:12:am ---Someone seems to have typed it out at http://voltape-voltape.blogspot.com/, though the lines aren't numbered and there's not much to say for formatting...

I was surprised at how hard it is to find the Versio Piana online, as for a while the only breviaries I could find in used bookstores and most of the recordings on the Office I could find on iTunes seemed to use it.

Not to go down the path of any arguments, but while I find it jarring to pray the psalms according to that particular version, I've found it useful occasionally to refer to if I want a more literal or straightforward rendering of the text. I learned Latin long before I started saying the Office regularly, and while I've come to love and appreciate the beauty and... idiosyncrasies of the Gallican Psalter, initially the text really confused me in places and took some getting used to.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for quoting me.  I am the "somebody" who typed the voltape blog.  Actually I only posted Lauds if I am not wrong.  I spent about three years at leisure pace to type the entire Novus Ordo Liturgy of the Hours using the Bea Psalter.  You see, I have been praying the breviary for the last 50 years.  All my breviaries used always the Bea Psalter, the only available at least here in Lima Peru.  Sometimes I would see the Psalms in the old Gallican but being used as I was to Bea, the Gallical seemed to be devoid of all beauty and what's more unintelligible, with ugly expressions (for a Spanish speaker) such as "eructavil cor meum verbum bonum" (literally  "my her belched a good word" - eructo is a belch in Spanish - this mars the beauty of the Psalm.  Compare with Bea"s  "effusit cor meum ..."   The list of mistranslations and dark passages in unending in Gallican.  I have Cardinal Bea's  book where he presented and substantiated his translation and compares with the prior versions.
So I wishing to pray the Liturgy of the Hours with Bea's Psalter undertook the typing of the psalms,  I am in the process of printing it so that I will have the psalms and canticles in order for the LotH praying.  I'll be back with more news.  God bless all.

glgas:

--- Quote from: voltape on July 05, 2010, 12:25:am ---http://voltape-voltape.blogspot.com/

--- End quote ---

Question about this version:

Psalm 50
MISERERE mei, Deus, *
Secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum, *
dele iniquitatem meam.
Amplius lava me ab iniquitate mea: *
et a peccato meo munda me.

In my Benzinger 1946 Verna (based on the 1945 typical edition) the second/third verse starts us Penitus lava me a culpa mea and (outside of the verse breaking, which in the Benziger connects the first two verses above) this is the only difference between the versions. I checked this first, and thought that it is the Nova Vulgata.

What is the possible reason of the difference?

donnaj867:
Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version