Piazza > Arts, Literature, Film, TV, Music and Such

Hypomixolydian music

(1/1)

dark lancer:
I read the Fish Eaters article describing melancholic individuals, and it suggests that they listen to mixolydian and hypomixolydian music.  Unfortunately it gives no specific suggestions for music falling within those categories, and the Wikipedia article suggests only a few including some The Beatles songs.  I understand the description of what the various modes are, but that does not help me locate suitable music and Google is unsurprisingly nebulous.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone happen to have any recommendations?

HailGilbert:

--- Quote from: dark lancer on August 14, 2010, 08:42:pm ---I read the Fish Eaters article describing melancholic individuals, and it suggests that they listen to mixolydian and hypomixolydian music.  Unfortunately it gives no specific suggestions for music falling within those categories, and the Wikipedia article suggests only a few including some The Beatles songs.  I understand the description of what the various modes are, but that does not help me locate suitable music and Google is unsurprisingly nebulous.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone happen to have any recommendations?

--- End quote ---

Wish I could help you, but I have no idea where to begin. Sorry.

dahveed:
I'm quite familiar with the modes, as I've taught music privately for 27 years, but I don't believe I've ever thought of using a search engine to find music by modes employed. The Beatles did like to use mixolydian occasionally. My best suggestion would be to use google/bing/name your search engine to search for information on use of modes in popular music. Browse through sites primarily geared toward musicians, especially guitarists. Most should provide you with some examples. Just by way of example, Steve Vai has had a thing for soloing melodically over progressions in E lydian, since the eighties. Anyway, don't want to ramble too much, but thought that this might help.

Dave

JamieF:
I know you asked this some time ago but I have also recently been trying to find some music and so far this is what I have found that you can download or buy from iTunes (all of this is in the hypomixolodian mode):

Missa Lauda Sion (Palestrina)
Missa l'Homme Armee (Palestrina)
Ad cenam agni providi (chant)
Tiento XVIII Por a la Mi Re (Cabanilles)
Blumen-Strauss: Suite VIII

Tim:
I have no idea but I googled and got this.

[   . [/   .

tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version