Choose style:

Author Topic: Pope Leo X said "this myth of Jesus has served us well" Why did he say that?  (Read 4314 times)

In nomine Patris

I believe he was the last pope who was a non-priest and was made a cardinal at age 13, because his father had much influence. He sold indulgences, emptied the church's money reserves, and Martin Luther's reformation was largely in responce to his policys, actions. He also died suddenly, which I take as a possible sign God simply had enough. He was "made" pope at age 38 and died at 46. As a non priest how could he possibly be a pope? How could he say mass? Can anyone shed some light on this?

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
I believe he was the last pope who was a non-priest and was made a cardinal at age 13, because his father had much influence. He sold indulgences, emptied the church's money reserves, and Martin Luther's reformation was largely in responce to his policys, actions. He also died suddenly, which I take as a possible sign God simply had enough. He was "made" pope at age 38 and died at 46. As a non priest how could he possibly be a pope? How could he say mass? Can anyone shed some light on this?

He was the last non-priest to be elected pope. He was elected 9 March 1513, ordained to the priesthood 15 March, elevated to the episcopate on the 17th and crowned Pope on 19 March 1513. No problem celebrating Mass.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

In nomine Patris

Ok I see. Then it seems he had little or no priestly formation before this ordination.

Tim

• Tim
Boy o boy would I like to see where that quote came from. There has to be more. I would think the moment he said it the heavens would open and a lightening bolt would split him in half.

tim

Tim

• Tim
I quickly googled, and this is the first one.

http://tektonics.org/lp/popeleox.html

tim

WanderingPenitent

• A spiritual Knight-Errant.
  • Fear Not the Cold
The word "myth" didn't always mean what it means now. It once meant a very significant cultural story, but that does not mean it is not factual. Chesterton even called it a myth, but a true myth. "It is too good to be true, except that it is true."
"I would rather fall with Adam,
than rise with all your gods."
-G.K.Chesteron

Bloggers were invented ca. 300 AD. and were originally called "monks." Like their distant social descendants, monks had horrible haircuts, rarely left their home, spoke a language to eachother no one else understood, and never went on dates.

In nomine Patris

Well, I can see where Luther was coming from, although I do not agree with the course of action he undertook.  He essentially was throwing out the baby with the bathwater, in reaction to this outrage. But back to LeoX,  I fear he was a bad pope and in part responsible for the reformation. We know Jesus judges religious, priest, etc, more severely. And this pope sold indulgence's. What is the fate of those who bought them, in good faith, of course? So many souls he may be responsible for!  In a way he could be responsible for the birth of many false faith's. I can see that this was a dark period in the church's history.

And all this after St Pius V  and his installing of the true mass, once and for all. Satan must have been truly on a mission of vengence and this was his victory.  Draw many from the true faith