Choose style:

Author Topic: Red vs. Black cassock for altar servers  (Read 7259 times)

Virgil the Roman

• O Sacred Heart of Jesus: have mercy upon us . . .
Red vs. Black cassock for altar servers
« on: January 13, 2011, 12:50:pm »
Why do some altar servers wear red; whereas other garb in black cassock beneath their surplices ?
Kindly keep me in your rosary and prayer intentions; especially as I am looking for full-time employment . . .

“In life and in death, keep close to Jesus and give yourself into his faithful keeping; He alone can help you when all others fail you.”
— Thomas a Kempis

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Non habemus papam.

The_Harlequin_King

• Protector of the Internet!
Re: Red vs. Black cassock for altar servers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 01:24:pm »
It's aesthetic. Some liturgists would say any color other than black is inappropriate, as red cassocks are proper to cardinals or choirs with certain ecclesiastical privileges granted to them.

My home parish uses red cassocks for most days, but black during Advent and Lent.

Personally, I'd prefer seeing acolytes in full albs with cinctures, though the master of ceremonies and the ecclesiastical choir should wear cassock and surplice. Preferably black.
Please read and subscribe to my blog: Modern Medievalism. Applying old-world solutions to new-world problems.

Praying for the dead is important. PM me if you need a cantor for the Requiem Mass of a deceased friend or family member. Have cassock and surplice, will travel. (Will also do weddings for a reasonable price.)

Virgil the Roman

• O Sacred Heart of Jesus: have mercy upon us . . .
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42:pm »
Were not the acolytes (altar servers) in most cases prior garbed in tunicles as their ecclesiastical raiment; particularly in Medieval and Baroque era Spain, Philipines, and Latin countries?
Kindly keep me in your rosary and prayer intentions; especially as I am looking for full-time employment . . .

“In life and in death, keep close to Jesus and give yourself into his faithful keeping; He alone can help you when all others fail you.”
— Thomas a Kempis

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Non habemus papam.

The_Harlequin_King

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 03:07:pm »
Were not the acolytes (altar servers) in most cases prior garbed in tunicles as their ecclesiastical raiment; particularly in Medieval and Baroque era Spain, Philipines, and Latin countries?

Depends on the place. That would be nice to outfit all acolytes with tunicles, but very expensive.
Please read and subscribe to my blog: Modern Medievalism. Applying old-world solutions to new-world problems.

Praying for the dead is important. PM me if you need a cantor for the Requiem Mass of a deceased friend or family member. Have cassock and surplice, will travel. (Will also do weddings for a reasonable price.)

dark lancer

• Still Loyal
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:50:pm »
In my parish, black cassocks were worn by altar boys for Ordinary Time, Advent, and Lent.  Red cassocks with white surplices trimmed with red crosses were worn on Holy Days of Obligation and during the Christmas and Easter seasons.

When the bungie boss took over the coordination of the altar boys, he decided that black cassocks would be worn with the white and red surplices.

Rosarium

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:57:pm »
I've only seen a red cassock worn once. I am not sure why he wore it (there were other servers). Maybe they had a shortage or he owned it. I don't know.

MichaelNZ

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:14:pm »
I was told that red cassocks were worn by servers at the cathedral, and that other churches used black. However, I served at both diocesan and SSPX TLMs wearing a red robe, and also a blue one.

ElGato

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:38:am »

Personally, I'd prefer seeing acolytes in full albs with cinctures, though the master of ceremonies and the ecclesiastical choir should wear cassock and surplice. Preferably black.

I agree that is a matter of aesthetic.  The usur at home:  All servers in RED, the master o C in black.

I was teached  that the more "roman" way is to wear a cassock, then Why albs?? I believed albs are for ordained ministers; or is because in LTM an altar server is an "ordained"???
DIOS SEA BENDITO

The_Harlequin_King

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 09:53:am »
I was teached  that the more "roman" way is to wear a cassock, then Why albs?? I believed albs are for ordained ministers; or is because in LTM an altar server is an "ordained"???

First of all, the acolyte would still wear a cassock under the alb. It's true that wearing a surplice has become an established Roman practice, but all a surplice is is an abbreviated alb. They both signify the same thing (baptismal purity). The alb is proper to all Christians, not just ordained ministers; a baby traditionally wears a white garment to represent the alb, and an adult receives an alb if he's baptized then.

I say albs are preferable to surplices since they're fuller garments, the same way I prefer fuller chasubles than fiddlebacks, which are like the sleeveless t-shirts of vestments in my opinion. But for low Mass as opposed to solemn, surplices are okay since they're easier to put on.

The cassock/surplice combination, by the way, is more appropriately called choir dress. That's what clerics wear when they sit in choir. So it's appropriate for a Gregorian schola to wear, or for the master of ceremonies since that role is unofficial and optional.

ElGato

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 10:07:am »

I say albs are preferable to surplices since they're fuller garments...

can u show me a picture???
DIOS SEA BENDITO