Choose style:

Author Topic: Our Lady of Fatima and WWII  (Read 1237 times)

MichaelNZ

• My Facebook Page
Our Lady of Fatima and WWII
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:28:am »
I remember reading that Our Lady of Fatima told the children that the war (WWI) would end soon, but if people did not stop offending God, a worse war would break out in the reign of Pope Pius XI.

Tonight I looked up Pope Pius XI on Wikipedia and saw that he died in February 1939. WWII started in September 1939. Was Our Lady referring to the conflicts before WWII as well?

Any help here would be good.

LRThunder

Re: Our Lady of Fatima and WWII
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:56:am »
Well, I think the Japanese aggression in the East had already started a while before WWII actually began in Europe. 

And sometimes, the Japanese outdid the Nazis in wartime atrocities.

James02

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:20:am »
WWII actually "started" with the militarization of the Rhineland, against the Treat of Versaille. 

You also have the invasion of Czechoslovakia, which occurred prior to the formal declaration.  I believe it was in 1938 that Hitler reported seeing the strange light (a very powerful Aurora) in the sky that was predicted by Mary for the start of the war.

I don't recall when Japan began warring with China.
"God's Wrath is Glorious, and I have a front row seat"

"We can not guarantee success.  We can only deserve it."

"And who do you say that I Am?"
"That one simple question, whether Jesus of Nazareth was God Incarnate, becomes increasingly decisive between people, as history moves forward. .... The answer to this question cuts into human ties and seems to reflect even on the nature of inanimate things.  What if:  all that is folly in the eyes of the Greeks, and scandal in the eyes of the Jews, ... is Truth?"

And there was no doubt about it -- towards Him we had been running, or from Him we had been running away, but all the time He had been in the center of things.

LRThunder

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 08:24:am »
WWII actually "started" with the militarization of the Rhineland, against the Treat of Versaille. 

You also have the invasion of Czechoslovakia, which occurred prior to the formal declaration.  I believe it was in 1938 that Hitler reported seeing the strange light (a very powerful Aurora) in the sky that was predicted by Mary for the start of the war.

I don't recall when Japan began warring with China.

I think it was the mid to late 30's, but prior to 1939.

geogeer

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:am »
I believe it was in 1938 that Hitler reported seeing the strange light (a very powerful Aurora) in the sky that was predicted by Mary for the start of the war.

January 25, 1938 - 2nd prophesy of Fatima
When you see a night illumined by an unknown light*, know that this is the great sign given you by God that he is about to punish the world for its crimes, by means of war, famine, and persecutions of the Church and of the Holy Father.

http://www.pdtsigns.com/1938aurora.html

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:57:pm »
I remember reading that Our Lady of Fatima told the children that the war (WWI) would end soon, but if people did not stop offending God, a worse war would break out in the reign of Pope Pius XI.

Tonight I looked up Pope Pius XI on Wikipedia and saw that he died in February 1939. WWII started in September 1939. Was Our Lady referring to the conflicts before WWII as well?

Any help here would be good.

The Japanese and Soviets fought a division level 'border war' starting in July of '38. Not a skirmish, since both sides lost between 20,000 and 30,000 KIA and MIA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet%E2%80%93Japanese_Border_Wars:

There was also a smaller Sino-Soviet war in '29:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_conflict_(1929)

Plus the Spanish Civil War was from 17 July '36 to 1 April '39:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Civil_War
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

The_Harlequin_King

• Protector of the Internet!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:31:pm »
Most people consider World War II to have started with the German invasion of Poland. I personally consider it to have started with the "Marco Polo Bridge Incident" between China and Japan. That was on July 7, 1937.
Please read and subscribe to my blog: Modern Medievalism. Applying old-world solutions to new-world problems.

Praying for the dead is important. PM me if you need a cantor for the Requiem Mass of a deceased friend or family member. Have cassock and surplice, will travel. (Will also do weddings for a reasonable price.)

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 03:34:pm »
Most people consider World War II to have started with the German invasion of Poland. I personally consider it to have started with the "Marco Polo Bridge Incident" between China and Japan. That was on July 7, 1937.

Good point, tho' I have heard many people use the Spanish Civil War as a starting point. At any rate, WW II was going, one way or the other, in the Reign of Pius XI.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

SouthpawLink

• PedisaustralisNexus
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 04:53:pm »
I believe it was in 1938 that Hitler reported seeing the strange light (a very powerful Aurora) in the sky that was predicted by Mary for the start of the war.

January 25, 1938 - 2nd prophesy of Fatima
When you see a night illumined by an unknown light*, know that this is the great sign given you by God that he is about to punish the world for its crimes, by means of war, famine, and persecutions of the Church and of the Holy Father.

http://www.pdtsigns.com/1938aurora.html

Wow!  Blessed be Our Lady!  (I haven't read about Fatima in a long time...)  :pray:
"It preaches that not only in civil affairs, which is not Our concern here, but also in religion, God has given every individual a wide freedom to embrace and adopt without danger to his salvation whatever sect or opinion appeals to him on the basis of his private judgment.  The apostle Paul warns us against the impiety of these madmen" (Pope Leo XII, Ubi Primum, n. 12).

"Likewise, peace is rooted in respect for religious freedom, which is a fundamental and primordial aspect of the freedom of conscience of individuals and of the freedom of peoples.  It is important that everywhere in the world every person can belong to the religion of his choice and practise it freely without fear" (Benedict XVI, Address to Five New Ambassadors, 18 May 2006).