Choose style:

Poll

Just for fun: do you think we'll finish Scanlon Latin before the Baronius Breviary ships?

Yes, we'll be able to finish Scanlon before Baronius ships their Breviary
13 (86.7%)
No, I think Baronius will ship their Breviary before the end of 2011
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Working through Scanlon Latin  (Read 12846 times)

iona_scribe

• Blue Fish
  • manuscript illuminator
    • www.ardanziger.com
Re: Working through Scanlon Latin
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:am »
Hey Bak, I just did the first unit on my own this evening and then realized just now that this thread existed. If I work at double the speed maybe I can catch up by chapter 5 in June.
Remember, O Christian soul, that thou hast this day, and every day of thy life: God to glorify- Jesus to imitate- The Angels and Saints to invoke- A soul to save- A body to mortify- Sins to expiate- Virtues to acquire- Hell to avoid- Heaven to gain- Eternity to prepare for- Time to profit by- Neighbors to edify- The world to despise- Devils to combat- Passions to subdue- Death perhaps to suffer- Judgment to undergo.

Bakuryokuso

• Eh
  • ///
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 08:12:am »
Go for it Iona! :)
"I suppose the greatest reform of our time was that carried out by St Pius X: surpassing anything, however needed, that the Council will achieve." -- JRR Tolkien, letter to his son Michael, 1 November 1963

Prie dieu

• Blue Fish
  • Formerly known as City Smurf
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 09:49:am »
I completely failed at trying to get started on my Latin, but I'm on fire for it again, and by God's grace I'm going to plough through this.

Here's the stickler though.  I'm unsure if I want to focus on Collins or Scanlon.  Father suggests I work through Collins, and I can see the benefits (one of the reasons I want to get stuck into my Latin is because I do not want to trust to unsourced or unknown translations of our great theologians).  But I also really want to pray the LO in Latin (and get the Mass nailed).

What should I do?  Maybe learn Greek, convert Rites and focus on Plato over Aquinas :D?
Still Jesus cried, 'Forgive them, for they know not what they do, '
And still it rained the winter rain that drenched Him through and through;
The crowds went home and left the streets without a soul to see,
And Jesus crouched against a wall, and cried for Calvary.

JayneK

• GFH
  • with my grandsons
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2011, 11:07:am »
What should I do?  Maybe learn Greek, convert Rites and focus on Plato over Aquinas :D?

I doubt anything so drastic is necessary.  You might be able to combine the books.  Perhaps you can work through Collins and learn the Scanlon vocabulary on top of that. 
ADORABLE Saviour, consider my many wants, and grant me those graces which Thou knowest I stand in need of to do Thy will in all things.

Prie dieu

• Blue Fish
  • Formerly known as City Smurf
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2011, 11:34:am »
That's actually a good idea.
Still Jesus cried, 'Forgive them, for they know not what they do, '
And still it rained the winter rain that drenched Him through and through;
The crowds went home and left the streets without a soul to see,
And Jesus crouched against a wall, and cried for Calvary.

DeoDuce

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 03:06:pm »
Hi everyone, I bought the Scanlon Latin books but I'm having trouble getting anywhere in them or even getting myself motivated enough to work on the first chapter.

Are there any tips?

iona_scribe

• Blue Fish
  • manuscript illuminator
    • www.ardanziger.com
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 10:35:pm »
Hi everyone, I bought the Scanlon Latin books but I'm having trouble getting anywhere in them or even getting myself motivated enough to work on the first chapter.

Are there any tips?

Hi there! I got stuck after chapter 2, but I'm ready to pick it up again.  In the opening post it's suggested that you give yourself 2 weeks to work though each chapter and then you can check your answers against other peoples' in the old discussion threads and post your own.  I don't think there's a definitive answer key anywhere, but I'm sure if you post a question, there's enough people still subscribed to these threads that someone may answer you :)

I've just been breaking each lesson down by small sections and doing one every couple of days so that I have to go back and remember what I did, and I write down all the new words in a notebook as I go along.  It's encouraging to know that there might be someone else limping along with me on this  ;D 
Remember, O Christian soul, that thou hast this day, and every day of thy life: God to glorify- Jesus to imitate- The Angels and Saints to invoke- A soul to save- A body to mortify- Sins to expiate- Virtues to acquire- Hell to avoid- Heaven to gain- Eternity to prepare for- Time to profit by- Neighbors to edify- The world to despise- Devils to combat- Passions to subdue- Death perhaps to suffer- Judgment to undergo.

DeoGratias72

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 09:00:pm »
All -

By common assent we're reviving the study of Latin Grammar by Scanlon & Scanlon. Many thanks to piusx1914 who had the original idea (but had to bow out due to family concerns - I'm sure he would appreciate any prayers sent his way) and christus imperat who took the initiative to revive the thread (and who is off until March 30, 2011 or so).

Why Scanlon? Because it's designed to enable the student to read the traditional Latin Missal and Breviary once the text has been completed. The book was written in 1944, so substantial similarities to the missal and breviary of 1962.

Why a group? Because Scanlon is not easy to study alone, and only a partial answer key exists.

Here is what I suggest (all of which is open to discussion by members actively participating in the study):

Step 0. Purchase a copy of the book! (Or locate the one you've purchased...) It's available thru Amazon or TAN (the publisher)

Amazon US
http://www.amazon.com/Latin-Grammar-Vocabularies-Exercises-Preparation/dp/0895550024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301018578&sr=8-1

Amazon Canada
http://www.amazon.ca/Latin-Grammar-Cora-C-Scanlon/dp/0895550024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301018623&sr=8-1

Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Latin-Grammar-Vocabularies-Exercises-Preparation/dp/0895550024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301018681&sr=8-1

TAN Books
https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/91/keywords/scanlon/

Step 1. Commit to the plan! There are 20 Lessons in the book. The previous suggestion was to take two weeks to complete a lesson. Therefore I suggest we redo (or do) the First Lesson starting now and ending on Saturday, April 9, 2011 (to end on a Saturday) and from there do a lesson every two weeks, thus:

Lesson 1 start Friday, March 25, 2011 end Saturday, April 9, 2011
Lesson 2 start Sunday, April 10, 2011 end Saturday, April 23, 2011
Lesson 3 start Sunday, April 24, 2011 end Saturday, May 7, 2011
Lesson 4 start Sunday, May 8, 2011 end Saturday, May 21, 2011
Lesson 5 start Sunday, May 22, 2011 end Saturday, June 4, 2011
Lesson 6 start Sunday, June 5, 2011 end Saturday, June 18, 2011
Lesson 7 start Sunday, June 19, 2011 end Saturday, July 2, 2011
Lesson 8 start Sunday, July 3, 2011 end Saturday, July 16, 2011
Lesson 9 start Sunday, July 17, 2011 end Saturday, July 30, 2011
Lesson 10 start Sunday, July 31, 2011 end Saturday, August 13, 2011
Lesson 11 start Sunday, August 14, 2011 end Saturday, August 27, 2011
Lesson 12 start Sunday, August 28, 2011 end Saturday, September 10, 2011
Lesson 13 start Sunday, September 11, 2011 end Saturday, September 24, 2011
Lesson 14 start Sunday, September 25, 2011 end Saturday, October 8, 2011
Lesson 15 start Sunday, October 9, 2011 end Saturday, October 22, 2011
Lesson 16 start Sunday, October 23, 2011 end Saturday, November 5, 2011
Lesson 17 start Sunday, November 6, 2011 end Saturday, November 19, 2011
Lesson 18 start Sunday, November 20, 2011 end Saturday, December 3, 2011
Lesson 19 start Sunday, December 4, 2011 end Saturday, December 17, 2011
Lesson 20 start Sunday, December 18, 2011 end Saturday, December 31, 2011

Wow, that works out nicely! Didn't even plan that!  ;D

Step 2. Start the work! Crack open your book and get going! This is really a key point.  :)

Step 3. Ask Questions! If (and when) you hit roadblocks, post questions  ??? in the thread which will be created to discuss each chapter. We'll revive the threads for lessons 1 and 2 and thereafter create a new thread for lessons 3 thru 20. If you have tips and tricks, feel free to share! A community of distance learners will be a strong motivation for us all to get thru this material. Here is the lesson one thread:

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3434528.0.html

When you have time, try to take a look through the entire lesson 1 thread and the original and revival threads - some great tips and tricks have already been shared:

Original thread - http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3433751.0.html
Revival thread - http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3437543.0.html

Step 4. Post your answers! We will be creating a new thread, separate from each lesson's discussion thread for folks to post their answers. We'll also post whatever answers exist from the online answer key. Even if your answers are identical to those of others, feel free to post... there is a sense of accomplishment in doing so!  ;D If anything is unclear or your answers differ from ones posted, ask for clarifications in the discussion thread. The idea is to keep the answer thread "uncluttered".

Lesson 1 answer thread - http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3437703.0.html

Step 5. Pray! We are placing this effort under the patronage of Saint Benedict. Ask for his assistance in time of discouragement and frustration. My personal goal in learning Latin is to pray the 1962 Breviary so there is indeed an immense spiritual benefit to the study of Latin. But anything worthwhile comes with effort! Yet when priorities are in the right place and God's help is sought, we can accomplish great things.

"Therefore, let nothing be preferred to the Work of God." -- St. Benedict, Rule of St Benedict, Chapter 43
"Ergo nihil operi Dei præponatur." -- REGULA S.P.N. BENEDICTI, Caput 43

"Precisely in the multiplicity of languages and cultures, Latin, for so many centuries the vehicle and instrument of Christian culture, not only guarantees continuity with our roots but continues to be as relevant as ever for strengthening the bonds of unity of the faith in the communion of the Church" -- Pope Benedict XVI, 2005, quoting himself as Cardinal Ratzinger in 1997.

P.S. We invite all those knowledgeable in Latin to chime in with help and assistance... it will be much appreciated, and probably needed at multiple points along our journey!  :)

Actiones nostras, quaesumus Domine, aspirando praeveni et adiuvando prosequere: ut cuncta nosta oratio et operatio a te semper incipiat et per ta coepta finiatur. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

Go before us, O Lord, we beseech Thee, in all our doings with Thy gracious inspiration, and further us with Thy continual help, that every prayer and work of ours may begin from Thee, and by Thee be duly ended. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

God bless!

:)