Choose style:

Author Topic: Use of Binding Prayers  (Read 2424 times)

irmatvep

Use of Binding Prayers
« on: March 25, 2011, 04:48:pm »
I was listening to the talks given by a very good priest and he recommended the use of binding prayers.  I admit I had never heard of this practice and was eager to start using them.  After doing a web search on this subject I found this most excellent  sermon about this very topic given be Fr. James Fryar, FSSP.  Fr. Fryar gives practical advice on how to deal with Satan.  One thing he pointed out was that canon law forbids the use of binding prayers.  The use of these prayers is restricted to trained exorcists appointed by the bishops.   Satan if very powerful and clever and it is foolish to assume one can exert control over him.  Using these prayers is like playing with fire.

http://catholicchampion.blogspot.com/2010/12/podcast-sermon-satan-is-real-how-do-we.html

formerbuddhist

Re: Use of Binding Prayers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:46:pm »
Father Fryar FSSP  is one of my priests. He's a good and holy man. Father Chad Ripperger FSSP , on his site sensustraditionis.org. gives a series of talks on spiritual warfare wherein he recommends binding prayers and there is another talk on audiosancto (can't remember which one" where one of the priests recommends them too. Father Ripperger makes it sound like he is a sort of part time exorcist in his talks so if he gives the approval for laity to use than I suggest go ahead. I know that I use them from time to time but if it is truly against canon law than I guess I ought to stop.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

QuisUtDeus

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:04:pm »
The CDF came out with a statement that clearly said what the charismatics were doing was illicit.   Basically, exorcisms without priests.  Some priests have read the document and said private prayers, not in the name of the Church (since we have no apostolic authority), but in the name of Christ were OK. Others interpret it differently and say binding prayers are never allowed.

Always do what your priest says, but for the purposes of discussion I think the problem is really that people think they have some authority over the demon.  We as laity do not since we have no apostolic authority.  Any binding of the demon is done by God in answer to our prayers; as opposed to binding in the name of the Church to whom God gave this kind of authority.  When this got blurred, the CDF had to come down and restrict the use of binding prayers including exorcisms that were allowed to be used by the laity before.

Maybe I'm leaning too much on the less strict reading which allows private use, but I think the point of the CDF is don't be a dumby and get in over your head.

formerbuddhist

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:46:pm »
By "binding prayer" what I meant is when someone says something to the effect of ""spirit of x (anger, lust, sloth, whatever) I bind you in the name of Jesus and send you to the foot of the Cross to be judged by our Lord". Father Ripperger was quick to point out that we can use this on ourselves and perhaps for our family but not to go around doing it for everyone. If what you mean by binding prayer is some sort of charismatic "deliverance" session than probably not. Quis ut Deus is right  in that we need to be careful lest we get in over our head. I get nervous saying a binding prayer for myself sometimes for fear of reprecussions but I can testify that at times when I say one the temptation literaly just vanishes into thin air. I'm curious to listen to Father Frayars sermon. The church I go to sometimes is one that he drives up from his regular parish to say the traditional Mass so I don't hear many of his sermons.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon