Choose style:

Author Topic: Giant Wombat Skeleton Found  (Read 2194 times)

piabee

• Literal Girl
Re: Giant Wombat Skeleton Found
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 03:26:pm »
So here is the ultimate question for a Sherlock Holmes fan: how many wives did Dr. Watson actually have?

At least two and possibly four or more.
Unicorns are real; they're just fat and gray and we call them rhinos.

"E stands for Egg.
 Moral:
 The Moral of this verse
 Is applicable to the Young. Be terse."
-Hilaire Belloc, A Moral Alphabet

Iolanthe

• "If one can't be happy one must be amused"
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 03:34:pm »
So here is the ultimate question for a Sherlock Holmes fan: how many wives did Dr. Watson actually have?

False. Just once. Any inconsistencies in the text can be attributed to Conan Doyle's sloppiness. There's even a scene where Watson's wife calls him "James" instead of "John" because the real person his character was based on was named James.
"Tenthly, one should pour tea into the cup first. This is one of the most controversial points of all; indeed in every family in Britain there are probably two schools of thought on the subject. The milk-first school can bring forward some fairly strong arguments, but I maintain that my own argument is unanswerable. This is that, by putting the tea in first and stirring as one pours, one can exactly regulate the amount of milk, whereas one is liable to put in too much milk if one does it the other way round."
George Orwell

Someone1776

• "The Derailer"
  • Neo-Candylander
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 03:45:pm »

False. Just once. Any inconsistencies in the text can be attributed to Conan Doyle's sloppiness. There's even a scene where Watson's wife calls him "James" instead of "John" because the real person his character was based on was named James.

Since when is "author's sloppiness" an acceptable form of literary analysis?

I think the correct answer is that Dr. Watson clearly had some serious psychological problems, probably as a result of post-traumatic disorder from his tour of Afghanistan.  Heck, the man couldn't even remember where he was wounded.  There are so many inconsistencies in Dr. Watson's chronicle that we can only conclude that he developed a serious drinking problem to deal with the stress of his life.  Remember his own brother died as a result of alcoholism, so clearly this was a problem that ran in the family.  Also, Dr. Watson never seemed to have any patients, as evidenced by his constant complaints that his practice had little traffic, which probably further sent him over the edge.   

It's possible that Dr. Watson never actually married at all.  He just lied to Holmes because he couldn't afford to keep paying rent and claimed he married so he could move out of 221B Baker Street and instead begin living in his own doctor's office...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:51:pm by Someone1776 »
"Christianity lies in achieving greatness in the face of the world's hatred." - Saint Ignatius of Antioch

piabee

• Literal Girl
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 03:46:pm »
I'm pretty sure it says that Mary Watson dies at some point, and then he remarries.
Unicorns are real; they're just fat and gray and we call them rhinos.

"E stands for Egg.
 Moral:
 The Moral of this verse
 Is applicable to the Young. Be terse."
-Hilaire Belloc, A Moral Alphabet

Someone1776

• "The Derailer"
  • Neo-Candylander
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 03:49:pm »
I'm pretty sure it says that Mary Watson dies at some point, and then he remarries.

Watson does state she died.  However, in one of the later "Beekeeper" stories written by Holmes himself, Holmes indicates that Watson "had left him for a wife."

People like Iolanthe like to claim this was just a mistake on Doyle's part. 
"Christianity lies in achieving greatness in the face of the world's hatred." - Saint Ignatius of Antioch

devotedknuckles

• the causes go, true rebels remain
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 03:56:pm »
Wow
a thread about giant wombas beings up Parisian skippers which leads to a discussion on polygamy
sip
only in the tank folks
oh and sip
writer sloppiness which is an outrage to all!!!!

This is the journey
from which, for me there shall be no return
wholly drenched
is the pine tree of  tears
-Yoshida Shoin

Iolanthe

• "If one can't be happy one must be amused"
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 04:33:pm »
Since when is "author's sloppiness" an acceptable form of literary analysis?

I think the correct answer is that Dr. Watson clearly had some serious psychological problems, probably as a result of post-traumatic disorder from his tour of Afghanistan.  Heck, the man couldn't even remember where he was wounded.  There are so many inconsistencies in Dr. Watson's chronicle that we can only conclude that he developed a serious drinking problem to deal with the stress of his life.  Remember his own brother died as a result of alcoholism, so clearly this was a problem that ran in the family.  Also, Dr. Watson never seemed to have any patients, as evidenced by his constant complaints that his practice had little traffic, which probably further sent him over the edge.   

It's possible that Dr. Watson never actually married at all.  He just lied to Holmes because he couldn't afford to keep paying rent and claimed he married so he could move out of 221B Baker Street and instead begin living in his own doctor's office...

Doyle hated writing the Sherlock Holmes stories...why do you think he tried to kill him off so many times? It makes no sense to assume that he built up an entire fantasy world around Watson but somehow didn't feel the need to include it in the stories. The practice being slow was nothing but a cheap literary device to explain why he had so much time to run around London solving crimes. With all the details of the cases, it's far easier to assume that Doyle lost track of things easily, and his lack of willingness to keep writing them easily explains his lack of perfectionism towards the stories. How would you explain Watson's own wife calling him by the wrong name except by the author's sloppiness?

The problem with academics is that they think there are all these hidden meanings in literature. 99% of the time that's total baloney. Writer's are human; they make mistakes. And it's hard enough to keep track of all the details IN a story without going and inventing a bunch of details NOT in the story. What would be the purpose?

ETA. Perhaps you were joking?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:38:pm by Iolanthe »
"Tenthly, one should pour tea into the cup first. This is one of the most controversial points of all; indeed in every family in Britain there are probably two schools of thought on the subject. The milk-first school can bring forward some fairly strong arguments, but I maintain that my own argument is unanswerable. This is that, by putting the tea in first and stirring as one pours, one can exactly regulate the amount of milk, whereas one is liable to put in too much milk if one does it the other way round."
George Orwell

cgraye

• Gold Fish
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 05:01:pm »
And it's hard enough to keep track of all the details IN a story without going and inventing a bunch of details NOT in the story. What would be the purpose?

The purpose is for huge nerds to extend the life of the subject of their nerddom after they have exhausted the possibilities of what it actually contains.  Not that I would know anything about that.

Actually, that's the same reason people "complete" unfinished works by composers, as we are discussing in the other thread.  If something is loved, there will always be someone trying to squeeze every last drop out of that stone.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:03:pm by cgraye »
Chris

Someone1776

• "The Derailer"
  • Neo-Candylander
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 10:40:pm »

ETA. Perhaps you were joking?

Yes, I was.  Sometimes its fun to try to come up with elaborate explanations to explain inconsistencies in the "canon" of a series.  But, someone had to the rain on my parade and get all serious.  This is why we can't have nice threads here! You were that kid in second grade that told the whole class Santa Clause didn't exist weren't you? Fine, be a humbug! 

But, for the record Piabee is right. Watson had 2 wives.  It's pretty clear that Watson's second wife was not a mistake. 

However, technically Watson had a total of 6 wives if you accept everything Doyle wrote as gospel. 

http://www.sherlockpeoria.net/Who_is_Sherlock/WatsonsWives.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:41:pm by Someone1776 »