Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: The Jewish Annotated New Testament  (Read 13534 times)

tmw89

• "Dr. Technology"
  • Official Contest Pollster
The Jewish Annotated New Testament
« on: October 01, 2011, 01:54:am »
In mid-November, besides the feast of St. Martin (and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim launch), it looks like we now have THIS new volume to which we can look forward:

Published by Oxford University Press, its product description is as follows:

Although major New Testament figures--Jesus and Paul, Peter and James, Jesus' mother Mary and Mary Magdalene--were Jews, living in a culture steeped in Jewish history, beliefs, and practices, there has never been an edition of the New Testament that addresses its Jewish background and the culture from which it grew--until now. In The Jewish Annotated New Testament, eminent experts under the general editorship of Amy-Jill Levine and Marc Z. Brettler put these writings back into the context of their original authors and audiences. And they explain how these writings have affected the relations of Jews and Christians over the past two thousand years.

An international team of scholars introduces and annotates the Gospels, Acts, Letters, and Revelation from Jewish perspectives, in the New Revised Standard Version translation. They show how Jewish practices and writings, particularly the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, influenced the New Testament writers. From this perspective, readers gain new insight into the New Testament's meaning and significance. In addition, thirty essays on historical and religious topics--Divine Beings, Jesus in Jewish thought, Parables and Midrash, Mysticism, Jewish Family Life, Messianic Movements, Dead Sea Scrolls, questions of the New Testament and anti-Judaism, and others--bring the Jewish context of the New Testament to the fore, enabling all readers to see these writings both in their original contexts and in the history of interpretation. For readers unfamiliar with Christian language and customs, there are explanations of such matters as the Eucharist, the significance of baptism, and "original sin."

For non-Jewish readers interested in the Jewish roots of Christianity and for Jewish readers who want a New Testament that neither proselytizes for Christianity nor denigrates Judaism, The Jewish Annotated New Testament is an essential volume that places these writings in a context that will enlighten students, professionals, and general readers.

Thoughts?  I'm genuinely curious as to what you guys think of this...  I'm not entirely sure what I think of it yet...
"Fire on the forum?"  Just BLOCK the arsonist from your reality!  See http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3440942.msg33798417.html#msg33798417

"Don't pay any attention to anything that mentions peace, change or hope and fails to mention Christ."
--Mithrandylan

---

REMEMBER MY FISHIES:  +48/-24

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
Re: The Jewish Annotated New Testament
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 02:08:am »
Without having read it, and I can guarantee you I never will, I would guess it's a new bold attempt by the Rabbinic Talmudists to undermine the Faith. They are convinced that Trinitarianism, of which the Church is obviously the bulwark, is a blasphemy which must be destroyed and will stop at nothing.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!

Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:27:am »
I will probably buy it and read it. Levine is a respected Biblical scholar, and I'm always interested in other religions' perspective on Christianity/Catholicism (I have also read "Living Buddha, Living Christ" and "A Rabbi Talks to Jesus", although I found both of them superficial and disappointing). I don't buy the "Rabbinic Talmudists are out to destroy us" argument. Seems like paranoia to me. They proselytize their religion, of course, but no more so than any other religion does (including ours).

Vetus Ordo

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 02:30:pm »
Judaizers will always be around until the end of time.

Watch out for them.
"THE LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 26:1)

"And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." — Clement, bishop of Rome

"I love truth," says he, "and not sects. I am sometimes a peripatetic, a stoic, or an academician, and often none of them; but—always a Christian. To philosophise is to love wisdom; and the true wisdom is Jesus Christ. Let us read the historians, the poets, and the philosophers; but let us have in our hearts the gospel of Jesus Christ, in which alone is perfect wisdom and perfect happiness." — Petrarch

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 03:15:pm »
I will probably buy it and read it. Levine is a respected Biblical scholar, and I'm always interested in other religions' perspective on Christianity/Catholicism (I have also read "Living Buddha, Living Christ" and "A Rabbi Talks to Jesus", although I found both of them superficial and disappointing). I don't buy the "Rabbinic Talmudists are out to destroy us" argument. Seems like paranoia to me. They proselytize their religion, of course, but no more so than any other religion does (including ours).

First of all, Jews do not proselytise. Far from it. In fact, it is part of the traditional practice that, if a 'gentile' asks for conversion, the rabbi must do everything he can to dissuade the convert. They are not interested in increasing the number of Jews in the world, only in subjecting the world to the Noahide Law, which would make our Faith illegal.

I suggest you do a bit of research. Years ago, before I became more knowledgeable, I picked up a copy of a book called 'Judaism and the Vatican' by Vicomte Leon de Poncins. A section of the book consists of extensive quotes from well known Jewish theologians and philosophers detailing the blasphemy of Trinitarianism and why it must be destroyed.

At first reading, my reaction was, 'What a lot of anti-semitic bollocks'. I was convinced that the 'quotes' were made up out of whole cloth. But, being the curious sort I am, I couldn't resist doing a bit of research. I lived in a university town with an excellent library so I was able to find many of the works quoted and, lo and behold, I discovered that the quotes were accurate and not even taken out of context. I then, still in an effort to not see the truth staring me in the face, decided that these must be Jewish nutters, say on a par with the Dimond brothers. Nope, when I went to the Encyclopaedia Judaica, a current source of Jewish information, I discovered that, far from being nutters, the people le Vicomte was quoting were mainstream late XIXth and early XXth century Jewish writers with recognised credentials.

At any rate, believe what you like, but since it concerns something as serious as our Faith, you might want to do a bit of research.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!

Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 03:42:pm »

First of all, Jews do not proselytise. Far from it. In fact, it is part of the traditional practice that, if a 'gentile' asks for conversion, the rabbi must do everything he can to dissuade the convert. They are not interested in increasing the number of Jews in the world, only in subjecting the world to the Noahide Law, which would make our Faith illegal.

I had that thought myself after posting my reply. "Proselytize" is the wrong word, and not really what I meant. What I meant was that they think that they are right and we are wrong, and they will try to make that point whenever they get a chance. Which is exactly what we do. Maybe I just haven't seen the light yet, but my initial reaction to your claim is the same as you say yours was years ago -- that Jews who think this way are "nutters". I'm guessing that the majority of Jews, just like the majority of Christians, are willing to live and let live. I have known a number of Jews (religious Jews as well as ethnic Jews), and I've never gotten the impression that they want to destroy us or dominate us. They just think we're wrong. No crime in that.

Vetus Ordo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:59:pm »
They just think we're wrong. No crime in that.

The Jews have no excuse before God.

Their continual rejection of Christ is a living testament to their perfidy and a punishment for their iniquity.

Accepting or rejecting our Lord is not a mere philosophical quandary of no practical importance. It is the most important decision a man has to make in his life.
"THE LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 26:1)

"And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." — Clement, bishop of Rome

"I love truth," says he, "and not sects. I am sometimes a peripatetic, a stoic, or an academician, and often none of them; but—always a Christian. To philosophise is to love wisdom; and the true wisdom is Jesus Christ. Let us read the historians, the poets, and the philosophers; but let us have in our hearts the gospel of Jesus Christ, in which alone is perfect wisdom and perfect happiness." — Petrarch

GottmitunsAlex

• "As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise. The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." Pope St. Pius X
  • Hochmeister / Magister generalis
    • Priesterbruderschaft St. Pius X
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:06:pm »
Apparantly so are you (proselytizing "their" FALSE RELIGIONS)
No1.- There are no "other" religions. Unless you equate the one true faith to the false religions, sects out there. (Have some pride in being Catholic. And grow a pair!)
No.2.- "Their religion", is just like saying "their truth". There is only One Truth.
Please add the word FALSE right before your write religion (when your are referring to any "religious" congregation that is not Catholic.

Gospel according to St. John Chapter 14 verses 6-10
 Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me. [7] If you had known me, you would without doubt have known my Father also: and from henceforth you shall know him, and you have seen him. [8] Philip saith to him: Lord, shew us the Father, and it is enough for us. [9] Jesus saith to him: Have I been so long a time with you; and have you not known me? Philip, he that seeth me seeth the Father also. How sayest thou, shew us the Father? [10] Do you not believe, that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak to you, I speak not of myself. But the Father who abideth in me, he doth the works.

Oh, please read my signature..... Thanks
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom Sunday Homily

Vetus Ordo

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 08:08:pm »
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Crysostom Sunday Homily

:amen:

Grasshopper

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 10:05:pm »

Apparantly so are you (proselytizing "their" FALSE RELIGIONS)
No1.- There are no "other" religions. Unless you equate the one true faith to the false religions, sects out there. (Have some pride in being Catholic. And grow a pair!)
No.2.- "Their religion", is just like saying "their truth". There is only One Truth.
Please add the word FALSE right before your write religion (when your are referring to any "religious" congregation that is not Catholic.

Gospel according to St. John Chapter 14 verses 6-10
 Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me. [7] If you had known me, you would without doubt have known my Father also: and from henceforth you shall know him, and you have seen him. [8] Philip saith to him: Lord, shew us the Father, and it is enough for us. [9] Jesus saith to him: Have I been so long a time with you; and have you not known me? Philip, he that seeth me seeth the Father also. How sayest thou, shew us the Father? [10] Do you not believe, that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak to you, I speak not of myself. But the Father who abideth in me, he doth the works.

Oh, please read my signature..... Thanks

I reserve the right to respect the religious beliefs of non-Catholics. People like you almost (but not quite) make me ashamed of being Catholic. Grow a pair yourself.      :bronxcheer:

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: