Choose style:

Author Topic: Orthodoxy and Trinity  (Read 1594 times)

drummerboy

• Blue Fish
  • Nothing personal - just business
Orthodoxy and Trinity
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:43:pm »
I know the Orthodox church's believe God the Father is "most supreme" in the Trinity.  But if Christ and the Holy Spirit are not as supreme, wouldn't that ultimately mean they are not God because you cannot have two persons of the Trinity being unequal and yet God.  That would almost make them two lesser gods.  This doesn't make any sense to me ???
"If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk" - Tuco

Someone1776

Re: Orthodoxy and Trinity
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:54:pm »
I know the Orthodox church's believe God the Father is "most supreme" in the Trinity. 

I don't think you know what you are talking about. The Orthodox are not Arians!
"Christianity lies in achieving greatness in the face of the world's hatred." - Saint Ignatius of Antioch

drummerboy

• Blue Fish
  • Nothing personal - just business
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:31:pm »
That's what I figured.  Then what do the Orthodox believe in regard to the Trinity.
"If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk" - Tuco

Someone1776

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:43:pm »
That's what I figured.  Then what do the Orthodox believe in regard to the Trinity.

The same as we do. We've just had a really stupid argument on how to express it in the creed. The Eastern Rite churches recite the creed as the Orthodox do. The Orthodox claim the way the Western Church recites the creed makes Christ greater than the father.

It is a really dumb debate. We believe the same thing.
"Christianity lies in achieving greatness in the face of the world's hatred." - Saint Ignatius of Antioch

Melkite

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:49:pm »

The same as we do. We've just had a really stupid argument on how to express it in the creed. The Eastern Rite churches recite the creed as the Orthodox do. The Orthodox claim the way the Western Church recites the creed makes Christ greater than the father.

Not greater than the Father, greater than the Spirit.  Orthodoxy emphasized the monarchy of the Father.  The Orthodox believe the Catholic teaching makes Christ equal to the Father in that monarchy, where the Father and Son are equal and blended to the point of confusion, and the Spirit is less.  Kind of like arianism, but the two person are more divine than the third, rather than one person being more divine than the other two.

Mithrandylan

• Banned for promoting sedevacantism
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ maneat semper nobíscum.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:51:pm »

Not greater than the Father, greater than the Spirit.  Orthodoxy emphasized the monarchy of the Father.  The Orthodox believe the Catholic teaching makes Christ equal to the Father in that monarchy, where the Father and Son are equal and blended to the point of confusion, and the Spirit is less.  Kind of like arianism, but the two person are more divine than the third, rather than one person being more divine than the other two.

All three are blended to "the point of confusion" as you put it.  It's the ultimate mystery of faith, one we will never understand even in Heaven.  They are three persons, equal as One God.

Melkite

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 06:26:pm »
All three are blended to "the point of confusion" as you put it.  It's the ultimate mystery of faith, one we will never understand even in Heaven.  They are three persons, equal as One God.

That would be Sabellianism.  If they were blended to the point of confusion, you wouldn't be able to recognize three persons within it, which is the foundation of the Orthodox objection.

newyorkcatholic

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:44:am »

No, the three hypostases are not blended, they are definitely distinct.  So says the Athanasian Creed, and so says the Preface of the Holy Trinity.

They are only "blended" in a very very loose sense reflecting our limited understanding, but they are not actually blended.  Equal, but distinct.
One human thought alone is worth more than the entire world, hence God alone is worthy of it. -- St. John of the Cross

spasiisochrani

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 03:12:pm »
I know the Orthodox church's believe God the Father is "most supreme" in the Trinity. 

Certainly not "most supreme", but entirely equal.  However, the Father is the origin of the Trinity (although not first in time; the three Persons are coeternal) in that the Father begets the Son and "spirates" (through the Son) the Holy Spirit. 

http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/PCCUFILQ.HTM

Arun

• He who fails to confront himself constantly fails to transcend his weaknesses.
  • It's the Skuxx Deluxe (TM)
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 05:06:am »
ahhh.

i like how st giuseppe di cupertino folded the blanket. that'll do me jsut fine...
Quote from: Joseph Francis O'Neill
It is my solemn and firmly held belief that the Cristeros were an entirely unjustified group of egomaniacal sociopaths and that Mexico would be a far better place today had they simply purchased Xbox360 consoles and lived out their ridiculous fantasies via an imaginary fantasy gaming realm

Quote from: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Forget your lust for the rich man's gold/ All that you need, is in your soul/ And you can do this, oh baby, if you try/ All that I want for you my son/ Is to be satisfied

Quote from: Old Crow Medicine Show
All that we are is a picture in a mirror, with fancy shoes to grace our feet. All that there is, is a slow road to freedom; Heaven above and the devil beneath. We're all in this thing together, walking a line between faith and fear, this life won't last forever - when you cry I taste the salt in your tears.