Choose style:

Author Topic: What Our "Swap Group" Is and How to Join In  (Read 1567 times)

VoxClamantis

What Our "Swap Group" Is and How to Join In
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:06:pm »

What Swap-bot Is:

Do you like sending and receiving snail mail? Do you like writing letters, making crafts, or putting together fun packages? You should try swapping! Swap-bot is a online service that organizes group swaps and a community of creative individuals. Swap-bot takes the hassle out of participating in group swaps by organizing all of the participant information and doing all of the partner assignments. On Swap-bot, you can host swaps, join swaps, and chat with other swappers from all over the world. Give it a try! The only people who see your snail mail address are those who host swaps and whoever you get partnered with in a given swap. The Swap-Bot site keeps your stuff private and doesn't give your info to third parties.

OK, so that's the general idea. More particularly, FE's swap group's description goes like this:

This group is for fans and friends of the Fish Eaters Catholic website.    So, what do we do? Well, it could be anything! We might swap postcards, holy cards, books, letters, note cards, riddles, puzzles, games, pictures, hand-crafted things, bookmarks, store-bought stuff, recipes, seasonal items, prayers, jewelry, strange thoughts, tiny treasures, things found in dollar stores or thrift stores, themed items (e.g., things that smell good, things that are red, things related to St. So-and-So, etc.). We can do off-the-wall stuff, like, for ex., picking names at random from the phone book and sending those total strangers a slew of very unexpected postcards with happy thoughts and good wishes, just to freak them out and make them feel good. Who knows? If anyone has any good ideas as to what to swap, post about it at the Fish Eaters forum, in the pinned thread at the Pig Roast sub-forum.    Please, only sign up for a particular swap if you're serious about participating. Those who sign up for a swap and fail to follow through make it totally un-fun for their swap partners! It isn't fair that someone would follow the rules and do what they're supposed to do -- while someone else slides by, thereby making it so someone won't get their special something in the mail. Folks who don't follow through [i]will [/i]lose their group membership!    Come on, let's have some fun!

To join in:

• Make an account at  Swap-bot

• Join the FishEaters swap group

• Check your spam settings and such to ensure you get mail from swapbot.com, and then keep an eye out for individual swaps (they'll likely be announced here, too).  PLEASE NOTE:  After joining the FE Swap Group itself, you have to sign up for individual swaps as they come up (assuming there's a swap you're wanting to participate in). You can always sign up for the group just to watch and see what happens for a while in case you're not quite sure if it's something you want to do. And you don't have to participate in each and every swap; pick and choose as you will...  But if you do sign up for a given swap, you must be serious and intend to follow through. No flaking!

• When you send your package, I've learned it's expected that you write on it somewhere the name of the swap the package is being sent to fulfill. Some people join lots of swaps, and marking the packages thus helps them to know what's what and whom to rate for what package, etc. I'm thinking it'd be a good habit to get into in case you decide to join other, non-FishEaters swaps at swap-bot.com.

• After you've sent your card or package in a swap, go to your dashboard at Swapbot.com and mark your item as "Sent."  When you receive your card or package from your partner, be sure to go to your dashboard and mark your package as received, make any comments you like, and rate your swap partner. That's it! Sound fun? 

Please note that some folks sign up for things and don't do what they're supposed to do.
I pray everyone does send out the cards or packages they're supposed to send,
but know that you might end up with a partner who lets you down.
Such a partner will be dropped from the group so the odds of that happening again are lessened.
But at least you'll know you did all the right things, eh?
My experience is, though, that people who don't follow the rules are in the minority...

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:49:pm by Vox Clamantis »