Choose style:

Author Topic: How Can You Tell if You've Bruised a Rib?  (Read 2847 times)

Deidre

How Can You Tell if You've Bruised a Rib?
« on: December 09, 2011, 12:07:am »
Besides pain, obviously. ;) A couple of weeks ago I had a chest cold, and was coughing like a miner with black lung. Eventually, my rib area on my right side (side, back, and front) began to hurt- first only when I coughed, then when I breathed and moved the wrong way. A few days later, I made the mistake of sneezing (!), felt something sort of move back there in the rib section, and have been reallymiserable ever since. My aunt keeps telling me that I'd "better do something about this," and nags me to go to the doctor. I (and my uncle) think that I probably strained the little muscles between the ribs...but how can I tell if I've bruised one, as my aunt fears? Besides wrapping myself with an ace bandage and not lifting anything, is there something I should be doing?
“I will never abandon you, my child. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.”
-Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God."
- St. Jean-Baptiste Marie Vianney

Raskolnikov

Re: How Can You Tell if You've Bruised a Rib?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 04:48:am »
Go see a doctor, or a physiotherapist, or an osteopath, or get an MRI scan.

matthew_talbot

• Putting the "fun" in disfunctional
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 01:53:pm »
And now back to our regularly scheduled program...
Are you worried about Obama and his gun grabbers? FIGHT BACK!!! JOIN THE NRA TODAY!!!:

http://membership.nrahq.org

"God console thee and make thee a saint. To arrive at the perfection of humility four things are necessary: to despise the world, to despise no one, to despise self, to despise not being despised by others."

- Quote from Servant of God  Matt Talbot

Tapatio

• Rexismo. Dios con nosotros
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:47:pm »
Costochondritis
A friend of mine was diagnosed with this 3 years ago.
He even went to the emergency room because of the acute/sharp pain between certain ribs. (At times....then it went away)
MRI scans, vitamins, exercises,  nothing worked.

He finally got it to disappear permanently:
He quit drinking. (Cold turkey, I might add)
He was a habitual drinker....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:08:am by Tapatio »
"If anyone thus speaks, that the Roman Pontiff has only the office of inspection or direction but not the full and supreme power of jurisdiction over the universal Church, not only in things which pertain to faith and morals, but also in those which pertain to the discipline and government of the Church spread over the whole world...let him be anathema." (Vatican I, Dz 1825, 1831)

Pray for the conversion of souls.
1 Thessalonians 2:14-15
http://mexicoytradicion.over-blog.org/
http://cronicasdeuncristero.blogspot.com/

Grasshopper

• Gold Fish
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:51:pm »
I've had bruised ribs twice and broken ribs once. They all felt about the same. You really need an x-ray to tell. In any case, it's important to breathe deeply (even though it hurts) and to cough once in a while (even though it really hurts) -- otherwise you're at risk of developing pneumonia.

Arun

• He who fails to confront himself constantly fails to transcend his weaknesses.
  • It's the Skuxx Deluxe (TM)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:43:pm »
I once had what I thought to be a bruised rib after sparring (muay thai) that kept up for about 9 months and flared up really bad every time it got hit (sparring three times a week at the time).
Went to the doc and found out it had been broken and because of continuous hits the bone had been unable to knit. Had to take some time off for it to heal. It healed quite weird, too.

Moral of the story; get things checked out cos they might be worse than you thought and by not getting em checked out you may be making bigger rpoblems for yourself!
Quote from: Joseph Francis O'Neill
It is my solemn and firmly held belief that the Cristeros were an entirely unjustified group of egomaniacal sociopaths and that Mexico would be a far better place today had they simply purchased Xbox360 consoles and lived out their ridiculous fantasies via an imaginary fantasy gaming realm

Quote from: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Forget your lust for the rich man's gold/ All that you need, is in your soul/ And you can do this, oh baby, if you try/ All that I want for you my son/ Is to be satisfied

Quote from: Old Crow Medicine Show
All that we are is a picture in a mirror, with fancy shoes to grace our feet. All that there is, is a slow road to freedom; Heaven above and the devil beneath. We're all in this thing together, walking a line between faith and fear, this life won't last forever - when you cry I taste the salt in your tears.

Hovannes

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 07:24:pm »
I've bruised and broken my share of ribs riding rough stock, so you can be sure I just said a prayer for you!
I found it helpful to sleep in a lounge chair (actually that was the only way I was able get any sleep!)
Get better!
"There are no cowards in Heaven"
---Don Juan of Austria at the Battle of Lepanto

LoneWolfRadTrad

• Sheepdog in wolf's clothing
  • Happy listening to blues, often thought to see red
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:27:pm »
Actually, I heard there's nothing they can do for that.  You may just have to wait until it heals.
When you go up to receive communion, you're literally at the foot of the cross.  Standing at all creation's center, the saints gather around.  Martyrs, heroes staring into your very being.  They lived AND died for Christ... can we say the same of ourselves?  What are WE doing to further God's will in this life?  Skipping Mass for our careers?  Our education?  Voting for heads of state, that don't recognize the source of all authority and power?  They won't matter on your deathbed (or whatever end we meet). 

So... why waste time with this modern world's nonsense?  We have our own civilization: CHRISTENDOM.  We must restore it whilst the modern world commits societal suicide. 

It's naive and idealistic to believe government for man by man can succeed.  Restore Christendom in our hearts and homes!  Communities aren't that far off, its a numbers game.

"Accursed is the man that puts his trust in man" Book of Jeremiah Chapter XVII, verse 5.

Hovannes

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:17:am »
Actually, I heard there's nothing they can do for that.  You may just have to wait until it heals.

If a rib is actually broken it poses a threat as it could puncture a lung or other organs, For that reason alone you should see a doctor.  Maybe you can score some morphine from the doc, but that is unlikely and chances are you wouldn't care for the side effects, so cowboy up, get a lounger and grab as many zzzzzs as you can.
"There are no cowards in Heaven"
---Don Juan of Austria at the Battle of Lepanto

Grasshopper

• Gold Fish
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 03:55:pm »

If a rib is actually broken it poses a threat as it could puncture a lung or other organs, For that reason alone you should see a doctor.  Maybe you can score some morphine from the doc, but that is unlikely and chances are you wouldn't care for the side effects, so cowboy up, get a lounger and grab as many zzzzzs as you can.

This matches my experience. I found it easier to sleep sitting up in my recliner than in a bed. I was taking both morphine and oxycodone for a month or so -- and I did not like the side effects -- but I had an extreme case: 11 broken ribs and a broken collarbone and a punctured/collapsed lung. Fortunately, it all seemed to heal up OK eventually, although I don't think the shoulder will ever be quite the same.