Choose style:

Author Topic: Mark Shea- Female Cardinals?  (Read 2860 times)

jonbhorton

• Can no longer participate here, ever.
Mark Shea- Female Cardinals?
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:09:pm »
Oh Mark, you lovable dolt...

I'm sure lots of things *can* be done... but what purpose, really, would be served by female cardinals? More importantly: whose agenda would be served?

With all that is misunderstood, wrong, and just overall allowed, but stupidly so, surely Mr. Shea could devote his efforts towards helping people understand actual Church teaching instead of dangling carrot cake in front of spiritual bulimics.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markshea/2012/03/cdl-dolan-and-fr-benedict-groeschel-affirm-me-in-my-okayness.html

"Cdl. Dolan and Fr. Benedict Groeschel Affirm Me in My Okayness!
Posted on March 21, 2012 by Mark Shea

For 15ish years, ever since the publication of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, I have maintained that one implication of the document is that women can be created cardinals of the Church (since the office of cardinal does not require holy orders and it is *only* the sacerdotal office to which the Church lacks the authority to ordain women). When I say this, I invariably get chewed out as a subversive modernist.

However, the other day, Fr. Groeschel and Cdl Dolan noted exactly the same thing (go to the 3:50 mark):"

See rest with video at link.

In other news, Mary Modern is now indoctrinating her only child (thanks CFP!) for the future of female cardinals.

If it did happen, would they wear dull red-brown instead of the vibrant red?
"It makes the consuls base: and my soul aches
To know, when two authorities are up,
Neither supreme, how soon confusion
May enter 'twixt the gap of both and take
The one by the other." - Coriolanus, Act 3, Scene 1
The Immaculata must be the Queen of all people. Whoever does not submit to her rule will perish.
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
"There is no greater enemy of the Immaculata and her Knighthood than today’s Ecumenism which every Knight must not only fight against, but also neutralize through diametrically opposed action and ultimately destroy"
(Saint Maximilian Maria Kolbe) ~ Entry of Diary dated April 23, 1933. Cited from The Immaculata Our Ideal, Father Karl Stehlin [Warsaw: Te Deum, 2005], p.37.

SpiderDweeb

• Gold Fish
Re: Mark Shea- Female Cardinals?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 05:00:pm »
If this happens, Ill probably have to concede that the Catholic Church is not what She claims to be.
I, an outcast and refugee from the Novus Ordo wasteland, beseech thee to grant me asylum here in the land of Trad.  Spider Dweeb.

Walty

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:01:pm »
This is just ridiculous.  The Church continuing to gravel at the feet of modern ideology and cultural Marxism.
Quote from: Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P.
The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes;
she is tolerant in practice because she loves.
The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe;
 they are intolerant in practice because they do not love.

Timorem Domini docebo vos.

Dmorgan

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:06:pm »
You wreck the Mass, You wreck Catholic Seminaries, You wreck the authority of the Pope, and this is what you get. Pope Saint Pius X, Pray for us!!!!!!!
D. Morgan

"The Truth is still the Truth, even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it" Venerable ++ArchBishop Fulton Sheen
"Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris"

cgraye

• Gold Fish
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:08:pm »
Even if this were somehow possible, it's certainly completely unprecedented for any layman to hold the office of cardinal.  Even the so called "lay cardinals" had received minor orders and so were clerics.  I'm not sure it even makes sense for a non-cleric to hold an ecclesiastical office like that.
Chris

Vetus Ordo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:28:pm »
Perhaps female cardinals would make the Roman Curia more appealing to everyone.
"THE LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 26:1)

"And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." — Clement, bishop of Rome

"I love truth," says he, "and not sects. I am sometimes a peripatetic, a stoic, or an academician, and often none of them; but—always a Christian. To philosophise is to love wisdom; and the true wisdom is Jesus Christ. Let us read the historians, the poets, and the philosophers; but let us have in our hearts the gospel of Jesus Christ, in which alone is perfect wisdom and perfect happiness." — Petrarch

salus

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:05:pm »
This is impossible because if  woman were made Cardinals they could vote a woman cardinal as Pope which is an impossibility. They will try to put them in without voting rights and unable to obtain the papacy.

CrusaderKing

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 06:16:pm »
According to Canon 351, both Cardinal Dolan and Mark Shea are wrong. Women cannot be made into Cardinals.

Canon 351: The Roman Pontiff freely selects men to be promoted as Cardinals, who have been ordained at least into the order of the presbyterate and are especially outstanding in doctrine, morals, piety, and prudence in action; those who are not yet bishops must receive episcopal consecration.

The_Harlequin_King

• Protector of the Internet!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 07:54:pm »
According to Canon 351, both Cardinal Dolan and Mark Shea are wrong. Women cannot be made into Cardinals.

I think the fact that canon law would have to be revised is a given.

But theoretically, yes, the Pope could name a woman as a cardinal, but without the chance of being elected as Pope. I certainly wouldn't look forward to it, but the office of cardinal is not of divine origin and not intrinsically tied to holy orders.
Please read and subscribe to my blog: Modern Medievalism. Applying old-world solutions to new-world problems.

Praying for the dead is important. PM me if you need a cantor for the Requiem Mass of a deceased friend or family member. Have cassock and surplice, will travel. (Will also do weddings for a reasonable price.)

Cetil

• Old Lodge Skins
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 08:03:pm »
Avery Dulles became a cardinal and was not made a bishop. I think a pope can dispense with canon law when he wants to.

C.
"Arise, then unconquerable Prince, defend the people of God against the assaults of the reprobate spirits, and give them the victory."

Cardinal Muller: "Doctrine and pastoral care are the same thing. Jesus Christ as pastor and Jesus Christ as teacher with his word are not two different people,"

"It's like a train wreck, I keep coming back to look"