Choose style:

Author Topic: Frozen: My Journey into the World of Cryonics, Deception, and Death  (Read 2214 times)

Deidre

I first heard about cryonics a few years ago, on an episode of This American Life. The story was about a guy who got involved in the cryonics thing when it was first getting big. The whole idea of freezing people is really creepy to me, and as the story makes clear, there's no guarantee that you're ever going to be re-animated a million or so years from now, even if you do shell out for a space in the freezer. It's pretty sad, in a way. Here's the episode, if anyone's interested:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/354/mistakes-were-made
“I will never abandon you, my child. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.”
-Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God."
- St. Jean-Baptiste Marie Vianney

Cetil

I heard about it too via the Ted Williams connection. Sigh, there is no end to what people will try when faced with hopeless medical conditions. And there will always be people there trying to make money off them. But is it romantic? (LOL!)
" Robin and Peggy remain silent on the issue of how, exactly, death will part them, but earlier this year a stray bit of chatter glanced past the conversational barricade. Sitting at their kitchen table, Peggy told Robin about a funeral tradition she’d heard about: after a cremation, the ashes of the dead are separated among family members. The children and surviving spouse each get a handful, to save or dispose of as they see fit.

“You’re not getting any part of me,” Robin said. “I’m being frozen.”

“No.” Peggy said. “Your head is being frozen. I get the rest of you.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/magazine/11cryonics-t.html?pagewanted=all

C.
"Arise, then unconquerable Prince, defend the people of God against the assaults of the reprobate spirits, and give them the victory."

Cardinal Muller: "Doctrine and pastoral care are the same thing. Jesus Christ as pastor and Jesus Christ as teacher with his word are not two different people,"

"It's like a train wreck, I keep coming back to look"

OCLittleFlower

• Gold Fish
  • Celebrating two years of wedded bliss.
Okay, so I read it.  Thanks for the nightmares, Vox.   :P

I'm inclined to believe all of it.  Between the audio tapes and my own digging on Alcor's website, there is nothing in the book that doesn't line up with the facts. 

Example:
http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/BedfordLetter.htm

Mike Darwin ADMITS to doing freaky things with dogs:
" It was also a time when we were doing research. On the other side of the flimsy "wood" paneled wall (there were open studs on the side where you rested) from where your dewar sat, we were washing out the blood of dogs and cooling them down to a few degrees above freezing using a completely "defined," artificial perfusate. This was path-breaking research, being done on a shoestring; the very kind of work you and Norman envisioned the Bedford Foundation undertaking."

Not a far stretch from that and what happened to poor Dixie in the book.

Also, while the audio tapes are only transcribed in the book, I highly doubt that the author would have signed a contract for a non-fiction book if the publisher hadn't seen the evidence.  And, on the tapes, these wackos admit to murdering people, covering it up, etc.
@~~~~~
Mrs. Deusdark

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that they can't be verified -- Abraham Lincoln

--click on us to level us up.  thanks--

Vox Clamantis

• Marta's Human
  • Forum Owner

Wasn't it just creepy, OC?? It was such an interesting read. I believe it all, too, BTW -- and have been having an interesting time looking through Alcor's site and the sites/discussion fora for cronicists in general - and also checking out some of their videos. It's all so sad...

ggreg

• Banned for being an ass and bringing up old things that need not be brought up, even after she was told not to
Don't worry I am sure that the people who scammed them enjoyed the fast cars, coke and hookers.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Stupid and greedy always have a way of finding each other. 

ggreg

• Banned for being an ass and bringing up old things that need not be brought up, even after she was told not to

Wasn't it just creepy, OC?? It was such an interesting read. I believe it all, too, BTW -- and have been having an interesting time looking through Alcor's site and the sites/discussion fora for cronicists in general - and also checking out some of their videos. It's all so sad...

I didn't think it was creepy.  I thought it was funny.  Especially the Tuna can stuck to the decapitated head part.  I was laughing as he described that.

The author sounded really stupid.  Just the sort of moron who would be a COO for a bunch of scammers like this.

I licked my glove finger and stuck it to a Russian Bus stop in Moscow this last winter when it was -30C.  So I know how this sort of thing can happen.

OCLittleFlower

• Gold Fish
  • Celebrating two years of wedded bliss.

I didn't think it was creepy.  I thought it was funny.  Especially the Tuna can stuck to the decapitated head part.  I was laughing as he described that.

The author sounded really stupid.  Just the sort of moron who would be a COO for a bunch of scammers like this.

I licked my glove finger and stuck it to a Russian Bus stop in Moscow this last winter when it was -30C.  So I know how this sort of thing can happen.

Murder is pretty creepy.  Decapitated heads are creepy.  Zombie dog is creepy.
@~~~~~
Mrs. Deusdark

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that they can't be verified -- Abraham Lincoln

--click on us to level us up.  thanks--

Starry Plough

I think these people are buying in to a false idea. Lets say the process works and they can be reanimated hundreds of years in the future. What could they do? They
would be culturally irrelevant. At best a curiosity. Some sort of freak.
What kind of customers does Alcor attract? Wealthy egotists. I'm sure the people of the future will thank us for that.

ggreg

Murder is pretty creepy.  Decapitated heads are creepy.  Zombie dog is creepy.

Frozen Tinned Tuna must last for a freaking long time though.  Did you think of that?

We they resurrected him he could eat it with some mayo and chopped spring onion and sweetcorn.  Yummy.

Vox Clamantis

• Marta's Human
  • Forum Owner
I first heard about cryonics a few years ago, on an episode of This American Life. The story was about a guy who got involved in the cryonics thing when it was first getting big. The whole idea of freezing people is really creepy to me, and as the story makes clear, there's no guarantee that you're ever going to be re-animated a million or so years from now, even if you do shell out for a space in the freezer. It's pretty sad, in a way. Here's the episode, if anyone's interested:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/354/mistakes-were-made

Wow.. Finally got to listen to that (thanks for posting it!). The bit about the father and his young daughter is just so very sad. I pray he wakes up, comes to know Jesus, and instead of imaging some bogus future scenario in which his daughter is (re-)thawed and "brought back from 'a state of deanimation'" to live again in this vale of tears, he could have the hope that she is in Heaven and that, if he plays his cards right, he will see her again there.