Choose style:

Author Topic: Instructions for Solemn High Mass Easter Vigil?  (Read 1326 times)

Tenmaru

Forgive me if this is not the right forum...

My parish is a diocesan one that celebrates the TLM as one of the many Masses they offer (pray for these priests, please).

They only Easter Vigil Mass they are doing for all parish groups is the TLM Easter Vigil, with baptisms included.  However, none of the participants (two priests and a deacon) have seen the Vigil, can't find great instructions on it, and the FSSP can't send them anyone this year (they are spread pretty thin, I'm sure).

Does anyone know of a great resource or perhaps a video that will show the Easter Vigil?  I know that an issue is knowing exactly where to stand or what to do when the rubics aren't perfectly clear.

Thank you!

Remembering our most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious lady, Mother of God and ever-virgin Mary, and all the saints, let us entrust ourselves, and one another, and our whole life, to Christ our God.--Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

"Why do you increase your bonds? Take hold of your life before your light grows dark and you seek help and do not find it. This life has been given to you for repentance; do not waste it in vain pursuits."--St. Isaac of Syria

Visit my site dedicated to providing reflections on the prayers, symbolism, and spirituality of the Traditional Latin Mass, in order to spread it through love, beauty, truth and devotion, without tearing down the Novus Ordo: http://lexorandi.blogspot.com

tradne4163

Re: Instructions for Solemn High Mass Easter Vigil?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:09:pm »
Have they asked other groups for help? I know that the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius commonly teach priests how to say the TLM. The SSPX or ICRSS are also options.
There's no such thing as "same sex marriage." Marriage is between one man and one woman. Period.

We are what you once were.
We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped.
If you were right then, we are right now.
If we are wrong now, you were wrong then.

There is nothing more necessary to the survival of the Church than the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass; to hide it from sight is to shake the foundations of the Church. The whole Christian, religious, priestly life rests on the Cross, on the Holy Sacrifice of the Cross renewed on the altar. --- Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre

I beg you to pray for priests, most especially those on the road to Hell. They do not enter there alone, but with thousands of others that have followed them.

Servus Immaculatae

• Et signum magnum apparuit in caelo
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 02:50:pm »
Msgr Frederick McManus, one of the leading American rubricians in the mid-20th Century, wrote a very good rubrical guide to Holy Week in 1956 (just after the revisions of Pius XII).  The Canons Regular of S.J.C. have provided a free PDF of the guide on their website: http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/resources/rubrical-guides/rites-of-holy-week.html

Another excellent resource is any revised edition of Fortescue's Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described published from 1958 (the "Tenth fully augmented and revised edition") onward.  Unfortunately the only free version of Fortescue I am aware of is the original 1917 edition, which does not have the correct rites for Holy Week according to the 1962MR.
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

MRose

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 06:44:pm »
Msgr Frederick McManus, one of the leading American rubricians in the mid-20th Century, wrote a very good rubrical guide to Holy Week in 1956 (just after the revisions of Pius XII).  The Canons Regular of S.J.C. have provided a free PDF of the guide on their website: http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/resources/rubrical-guides/rites-of-holy-week.html

Another excellent resource is any revised edition of Fortescue's Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described published from 1958 (the "Tenth fully augmented and revised edition") onward.  Unfortunately the only free version of Fortescue I am aware of is the original 1917 edition, which does not have the correct rites for Holy Week according to the 1962MR.
Another excellent reason to use the actually *traditional* Holy Week!

In all seriousness though, I would suggest that they give a call to the Institute of Christ the King's American headquarters. The phone # is 773-363-7409.
Magníficat ✝ ánima mea Dóminum.
Et exsultávit spíritus meus: in Deo, salutári meo.
Quia respéxit humilitátem ancíllæ suæ: ecce enim ex hoc beátam me dicent omnes generatiónes.
Quia fecit mihi magna, qui potens est: et sanctum nomen ejus.
Et misericórdia ejus, a progénie in progénies: timéntibus eum.
Fecit poténtiam in bráchio suo: dispérsit supérbos mente cordis sui.
Depósuit poténtes de sede: et exaltávit húmiles.
Esuriéntes implévit bonis: et dívites dimísit inánes.
Suscépit Israël púerum suum: recordátus misericórdiæ suæ.
Sicut locútus est ad patres nostros: Ábraham, et sémini ejus in sæcula.
V. Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto.
R. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.

Servus Immaculatae

• Et signum magnum apparuit in caelo
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:30:pm »

Another excellent reason to use the actually *traditional* Holy Week!

I would actually prefer that as well, although the only bound copies of Fortescue I have are the eleventh edition (1960 reprint of the 1958 10th ed. with only minor editing corrections) and the fifteenth edition (the 2009 "Summorum Pontificum" edition updated by Dom Alcuin Reid), and well, besides, it's not the option given to us.

Romanitas Press has a very, very detailed rubrical guide for a Missa Cantata of the Easter Vigil.  Not actually what the OP is asking for, but it could certainly be helpful, since it includes sacristan's instructions, diagrams, etc.  It's not actually on the site right now, because it's "undergoing revisions" but you can still find it from the direct URL address: http://www.romanitaspress.com/rubrics_guides/seasonal/holy_week/easter_vigil_high_mass_form-rev-3-22-2012.pdf
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

Tenmaru

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:04:am »
Thanks everyone for the tips!  I will look into these and pass the info on to my priest.
Remembering our most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious lady, Mother of God and ever-virgin Mary, and all the saints, let us entrust ourselves, and one another, and our whole life, to Christ our God.--Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

"Why do you increase your bonds? Take hold of your life before your light grows dark and you seek help and do not find it. This life has been given to you for repentance; do not waste it in vain pursuits."--St. Isaac of Syria

Visit my site dedicated to providing reflections on the prayers, symbolism, and spirituality of the Traditional Latin Mass, in order to spread it through love, beauty, truth and devotion, without tearing down the Novus Ordo: http://lexorandi.blogspot.com