Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: How The Atomic Tests Looked Like From Los Angeles  (Read 499 times)

Zedta

• Red Fish
  • Wha'd ya expect, from a cigar smokin' gorilla?
These are some very interesting photos here in this article. There are so many that it would be quite time consuming to post them all here, but they are fascinating when one considers how bright they were and from such a distance. Most of the blasts were much lower yeald than what is currently in the stock of Russia, China and USA weaponry. If there was a nuclear exchange, these days, the conflagration would make nighttime as day and would linger for hours from the afterglow.

Really cool stuff. I grew up in the LA area and was too young to remember any of this...probably slept through it all, but it is an historical fact that this all occurred.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/09/how-atomic-tests-looked-like-from-los.html

Here's a teaser pic:

"Today's atomic explosion, largest yet set off on the Nevada test range, was clearly visible in Los Angeles, as remarkable photo shows. Staff photographer Perry Folwer was ready with his camera on a tripod on the roof of the Herald-Express building when the blast occurred at 5:48 a.m. Reporter Jack Smith, who also saw yesterday's explosion, points towards the great white flash that clearly silhouetted mountains to the east." Photo credit: Perry Fowler, February 2, 1951.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair, the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried

gmzhok

Re: How The Atomic Tests Looked Like From Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:08:pm »
 There must be many bomb shelters in Los Angeles. That was around time of 1959 when an early nuclear-ready cruise missile, Regulus I, was used by the postal service to deliver mail.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nuclear-capable-1950s-missile-once-155958663.html

GangGreen

Re: How The Atomic Tests Looked Like From Los Angeles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:11:pm »
Miserere mei Deus: secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum: dele iniquitatem meam.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

"Good ale is wasted on false gods." - St. Columbanus

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: